X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Black Horse 2276mm P-40 Warhawk thread

P-40C Warhawk 2276mm (89.6") Wingspan from Black Horse - Balsa Wood ARF - BHM1001-001
    Click image for larger version  Name:	7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.4 KB ID:	239909

We're very proud to announce Black Horse's newest redesign wearing a new color scheme and sporting new updates to its scale outline, feature set, accuracy, and usability. The most significant feature we enjoy about this Black Horse 2376mm P-40, besides its awesome scheme, refined cowl shape, improved airfoil, super scale tail gear mechanism, and concealed servo-driven split flaps, is the fact that it arrives with all metal Electric main retracts out of the box to pair with the included metal suspension struts! That's a killer feature set at this model size and price point.

The Curtiss P-40 Warhawk is an American single-engined, single-seat, all-metal fighter and ground-attack aircraft that first flew in 1938. The P-40 design was a modification of the previous Curtiss P-36 Hawk which reduced development time and enabled a rapid entry into production and operational service. The Warhawk was used by most Allied powers during World War II, and remained in frontline service until the end of the war.

The model is scaled to approximately 1:5 and attention was paid to a true to original appearance and best flight characteristics. The model can be operated using an electric power system or with an internal combustion engine about 60cc displacement.

Visit the Official Black Horse P-40C Warhawk 2276mm Discussion Thread on HobbySquawk.com for additional photos, videos, reviews, and customer Q&A.
    Detailed Cockpit

The P-40 comes complete with detailed cockpit and painted pilot for added realism, including a nicely detailed instrument panel.
    Factory Weathered Printing

Multiple layers of silkscreen printed colors combine to create a realistic multi-colored weathered surface with natural tones and gradients. This tastefully executed printing is accomplished with six layers of printing, providing an excellent looking "Build-and-Fly" surface. Pilots can also easily further detail the model, painting exhaust stains and additional weathering directly over the durable coating. I love that the model is fully sheeted, which gives the surface uniform firmness.
    Gas or Electric Power

You can choose between gas or electric to power your model depending on your preference. I preferred the power and acceleration advantage of the two blade prop and included spinner, although I imagine some pilots will want to try a three blade prop and a more scale accurate spinner for higher scale fidelity. Either way, the P-40's redesigned cowl is more accurately shaped and more friendly to gas and electric powerplant installs. Mounting hardware is included in the box for both!
    Large Battery Hatch

Optimized for both gas and electric power, the P-40 sports a large hatch to easily access internal electronics systems. Fuel or battery, receiver, optional gyro, and other avionics can be neatly organized in this much larger hatch.
    Large Split Flaps

The P-40 comes with fully functional split flaps for added functionality and scale realism. With these large flaps, the P-40 can takeoff in very short fields, and can land at a comfortable, stable pace.
    Retractable Main Landing Gear

Scale "Twist and Turn" retracts, complete with suspension struts, help soak up rough landings on grass surfaces. All metal main ELECTRIC retracts are included in the box as well, making this model the easiest big P-40 to get standing on its own feet in just minutes.
    Retractable Tail Gear

The scale retractable tail gear is a superb addition that enhances the scale appeal of this large P-40 Warhawk! It articulates and extends just like the real thing!
    Special Edition Livery

Fly a unique and rarely seen genuine RAAF livery from World War 2, approximating the aircraft flown by RAAF pilot Clive Caldwell in 1942. It was important to us to recognize other countries whose pilots fought in the P-40 Warhawk. This was such a workhorse of an aircraft throughout its service life, from Burma to Britain.
    FEATURES:
    • High level of prefabrication right out of the box
    • Lightweight, strong, laser cut balsa and plywood construction
    • Rotary 90 degree electric retract gear and CNC suspension metal struts
    • Panel lines and details printed directly onto the pre-applied, high quality covering
    • Aerofoiled tail surfaces
    • Recessed hinges on all control surfaces
    • Pre-drilled hinge mounting holes
    • Heavy-duty pin hinges on all control surfaces
    • Large easy access fuel tank/battery/servo access hatches with sprung loaded latches
    • Painted and detailed cockpit, pilot and interior included
    • Fiberglass control horns with ball link connector
    • comprehensive control and fitting accessories included
    • Two-piece, plug-in wings simplify transportation and assembly
    • Fiberglass cowl and glass reinforced landing gear covers/pants
    • Mounts for both electric and gas power options included
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

I love how this new scheme looks on the ground and in the air. Gritty and war-worn, but still tastefully done. The overall matte finish is offset by the subtle glint of the metallic and oil stained areas.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5300.jpg
Views:	2776
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	240005Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5519.jpg
Views:	2800
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	240006
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Alpha, Bravo Zulu, Sir. Great looking aircraft and on my list. Great livery and liking the weathering. Very Cool. Best, LB
      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

I am super impressed with that factory weather finish on these new Black Horse models. Looks fantastic and saves a lot of airbrush time!
        My YouTube RC videos:
        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Meh, Motion should stick with foam.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyGagJr View Post
            Meh, Motion should stick with foam.
            Curious as to why you feel that way?
            My YouTube RC videos:
            https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

The outlines and scale fidelity on the Black Horse warbird lineup is poor. On the foam warbirds, Motion knocks it out of the park and is the best around. Just my .02 cents.

Comment

Just something about the nose....it's not quite right.

Comment

The model is trying to present a P-40B or C model, ala RAF in North Africa. Black Horse is close with the shape of the cowl, but the spinner is way off. The spinner should continue the curving lines of the cowl to the forward point.

Note, later P-40 variants, I think from the E onwards, used a redesigned cowl more like the pic dwindom posted.

.Click image for larger version

Name:	1024x701.jpg
Views:	2588
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	240358

Comment

Davy101: I think you are right. Fix the spinner and it would come together. This is a B/C that was at the Olympia airshow. The lower air intake needs to come aft a little bit too.

Name:	DSC_0325.JPG
Views:	2823
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	241277
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0325.JPG Views:	0 Size:	125.0 KB ID:	241276

Comment

I know this plane is fully sheeted but what is the covering material? Mono cote, fabric?

Comment

Excited to dive into this box. Will be updating throughout the day with pictures, then stay tuned this Friday to our live show on YouTube to see more.

Name:	IMG_20200324_110603.jpg
Views:	2331
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	244313

Comment

For what this model costs, you would think they would get the tire size right. It should have 6" wheels, not the 5" shown in the specs. And I know, there are cost reasons for going with one size wheel for all large models they produce, but that's not the point for what is supposed to be a scale model.

Comment

Hey guys, got the whole thing unboxed and wow what a gorgeous kit. Going to post in sections, starting now...

Name:	IMG_20200324_141435.jpg
Views:	2581
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	244341

Comment

Upon opening the box, the easiest thing to grab first is the fuselage. Absolutely stunning when you see it up close. The weathering on her is really something special. It is packaged beautifully so you really need not worry about nicks or dents (would have to be a serious drop to have an effect).

The cockpit detail is also very well done. Then looking inside to see the level of construction in there is just mind baffling. I could only imagine how hard that would be to do on your own and hats off to those who build!

This was a good start to the whole ARF Kit

Comment

After the fuse comes out, you will get 7 individual boxes and some control rods and the spar are taped securely to the side of the box. So now lets go through each box in successive posts

Comment

The first box I opened had the 2 main motor mounts depending on whether you decide to go Gas or Electric. Well constructed. They feel nice and sturdy and fit perfectly on the front of the fuselage. I plan on this one getting our (coming soon) 60cc motor.

Comment

The second box I opened has some miscellaneous bits like our Pilot, guns, antennae, wheel wells, tail gear doors and some hinges. I love the control stick being included!

Also the weathering is painted on the tail doors and match nicely to the fuse.

Comment

The third box had a majority of the hardware from ball links to hinges to motor mount screws and more. Also it had various firewall mounts, the spinner, fuel tank, and a CG machine which the Fairchild had that I loved. Makes it super easy to CG your aircraft once completed.

I like how with all these kits everything is bagged together based on steps. You won't really need to go digging for pieces during the assembly.

Comment

The fourth box held the awesome tail wheel assembly which is electric as well as all the hardware including the pull'pull wires etc. The whole assembly is solid and well crafted and awesome that it's included. One less thing to have to buy along with the kit.

Comment

Working...
                                        X