Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I haven't owned the V2, but I would say getting a V3 isn't worth the money really. The FlightLine 1600mm Corsair from MotionRC is probably the much better purchase! The FMS V3 while it looks good is extremely under powered! For 500$ you'll have to invest additional money to switch it over to an 8S setup or purchase different motor and prop to get it up to where it should of been out of the box. So 500$ plus another 1-200$ depending on what you want to do for power. Makes this plane way to expensive for what it should of been out of the box ready to go!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by 406PIlot View Post
      I haven't owned the V2, but I would say getting a V3 isn't worth the money really. The FlightLine 1600mm Corsair from MotionRC is probably the much better purchase! The FMS V3 while it looks good is extremely under powered! For 500$ you'll have to invest additional money to switch it over to an 8S setup or purchase different motor and prop to get it up to where it should of been out of the box. So 500$ plus another 1-200$ depending on what you want to do for power. Makes this plane way to expensive for what it should of been out of the box ready to go!!!
      I tend to agree with this, but I guess it depends on whose criteria it is when it comes to value. The FW/FL Corsair is 60 bucks less and really needs nothing to fly in a satisfying manner, although I did spend a bit more money to get the prop assembly from the FMS V2 Corsair. I just feel a Corsair doesn't look right unless it's spinning a 4-blade prop.
      It just sounds to me that FMS missed the mark on this V3. After we get over the fancy paint job, the nifty hatch release, the new retracts/struts, the zippity do dah quick attach tail, the thing has to be flown. Unless you hang it up from the ceiling as an ornament, what we'll do most with it is fly it.
      If you didn't know already, the V2 was also 500 bucks. I only ever bought the V1. The V2 came to me by way of a plane swap with a friend. In this sense, FMS thinks it's a great deal, giving us all those new and improved bits and pieces and keeping the price the same, BUT, towards the end of the V2 run, FMS was selling it with the 360 motor. They took a huge step backwards shoving that 300 motor back in and giving us the bigger prop - diameter and pitch, thinking that's all it's gonna take to make it go the same as the outgoing V2's. I guess they thought WRONG! We can buy a lot of planes for 500 bucks. This V3 is not a lot of plane.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
        After we get over the fancy paint job, the nifty hatch release, the new retracts/struts, the zippity do dah quick attach tail, the thing has to be flown. Unless you hang it up from the ceiling as an ornament, what we'll do most with it is fly it.
        I would only add that they finally dumped the hard-edged leading edge to the flaps and finally rounded them for a more scale look, but otherwise I agree with everything being said about the V3. Had it had that 8S power out of the box I would have bought it by now for sure.

My YouTube RC videos:
        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post

I would only add that they finally dumped the hard-edged leading edge to the flaps and finally rounded them for a more scale look, but otherwise I agree with everything being said about the V3. Had it had that 8S power out of the box I would have bought it by now for sure.
          Right. Forgot about that. I just got my 120A HV ESC to go 8s on my V2. Another 120 Canuck bucks into this plane. Will probably get the V3 main retracts before spring, too. I almost said, "To heck with it" and bought the V3 myself, but other than the retracts, there's nothing wrong with the old one. Or course, you can always use MORE POWER!

Comment

• The v3 retracts them selfs are good, but the way they are glued into the wing is crap!!! I had to reglue the plastic to the wing for the retract mount!!!

Comment

The v3 retracts them selfs are good, but the way they are glued into the wing is crap!!! I had to reglue the plastic to the wing for the retract mount!!!
              Amazing! Same story, different version of plane. Both my V1 and V2 had this problem. You can't imagine how many times I've had to glue that stupid part back on, before I figured out how to land the thing softly.

Comment

• I had a great landing, soft and smooth as could be. But while turning around to taxi back it came loose you could clearly see the gear shift to one side and looked a little crooked. Put it up on the table and take a look. The plastic for the gear mount on the front edge of the wing had separated. Didn't rip or tear the foam, it just separated like there was almost no glue there to begin with.

Easy fix so no big issue. Just a bummer to see that stuff happening after only like 5 flights on a new plane!!

Comment

• Yup, sounds familiar.

Comment

• So what I get out of this info so far is that FMS merely added a few new details to the mold and that's it.
                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

So what I get out of this info so far is that FMS merely added a few new details to the mold and that's it.
                      Yep! They added a fancy hatch button (which is really NICE), & cleaned up a few cosmetic type things.....

Comment

The v3 retracts them selfs are good, but the way they are glued into the wing is crap!!! I had to reglue the plastic to the wing for the retract mount!!!
                        That's nothing new, minimal glue and more money in parts after a coming loose. Smart planning.
                        AMA 424553

Comment

• If you haven't seen RC Informer's latest video on the V3 Corsair, take a look. He's indicated that FMS is about to send new, updated props to anyone who has purchased a V3. The new prop is supposed to be 1 or 2 higher pitch and apparently makes even the stock 6s version move as it should have from the start. The new prop and 8s power turns it into a missile.

Comment

RE: 1700 mm F4U

I've had my most recent 1700 Corsair (yes I have had more than one, don't judge, lol) since December 2013 and have had no issues at all with the motor board or otherwise. Many happy flights. That's not to discount those who haven't had such luck but I can only speak for my own experience with this bird.
                            Guys its called a firewall or motor mount I have never heard the term motor board used in this hobby till seeing this thread. Did I miss something? Is this a new term they are using now?

Comment

• Nope just wrong terminology used on my part.
                              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• I have changed the "motor board" on this plane. The "motor mount" is usually that metal thing in the shape of an X. The motor is screwed onto that X.This plane doesn't use an X-mount. Instead, the motor is screwed onto the front of a "board". The "motor board" is that big, thick square thing that is the front part of the frame assembly. The two halves of the nose of this plane must be split apart to remove the motor board and put in the newer, stronger one. The "firewall" on this (and other planes) is the bulkhead that separates the motor and it's components from the interior of the cabin. In this case, that would be the place where the battery lives. So, in that sense, yes, there is a "motor board" on this plane. That's what FMS calls it when you buy the part. I'd put up a link for that part but FMS doesn't even list it anymore. It was more prevalent when the first generation of "motor boards" were inadequate to do the job. All Corsairs since have the better, improved part in them.
                                Here's is a picture of that "motor board":
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	a5555597-246-FMSLGF4UMMB.jpg-960476047.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	296508So Aros, no, you did not use the wrong terminology. It was correct for this plane.

Comment

• xviper

FMS also added a metal motor mount after they strengthened the motor board which is a bolt on mod and it is still available.

The Motor Mount: 1700mm F4U, P-47 by FMS is a quality built remote controlled airplane accessory. See all our RC product options online at Horizon Hobby!

Warbird Charlie
                                  HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                    So Aros, no, you did not use the wrong terminology. It was correct for this plane.
                                    Ah sweet I just assumed it was a brain fart on my part (wouldn't be the first time, definitely won't be the last), but looking back you are correct, that bird does have a "motor board".

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                                      xviper

FMS also added a metal motor mount after they strengthened the motor board which is a bolt on mod and it is still available.

The Motor Mount: 1700mm F4U, P-47 by FMS is a quality built remote controlled airplane accessory. See all our RC product options online at Horizon Hobby!

You are so right. I remember now. My Corsair actually has that metal piece. Man, all this stuff reveals how really old I am.

Comment

• For those of you who have removed the canopy for cockpit enhancements I have a question. I am ready to re-install my canopy. When I removed it, it came off very clean and did not pull up any chunks of foam. The glue that was used I was able to easily pull away from inside the canopy. My question is, is the proper re-attachment to apply a thin coating of Foam-Tac around the cockpit edges and inside the canopy edges, let it tack, and press into place? The glue that the manufacturer used looks more like a clear rubber cement. If Foam-Tac is not the right glue to use can you share what the correct glue is to use? Thanks so much!!

Comment

• Originally posted by paulsnapp View Post
                                          For those of you who have removed the canopy for cockpit enhancements I have a question. I am ready to re-install my canopy. When I removed it, it came off very clean and did not pull up any chunks of foam. The glue that was used I was able to easily pull away from inside the canopy. My question is, is the proper re-attachment to apply a thin coating of Foam-Tac around the cockpit edges and inside the canopy edges, let it tack, and press into place? The glue that the manufacturer used looks more like a clear rubber cement. If Foam-Tac is not the right glue to use can you share what the correct glue is to use? Thanks so much!!
                                          Foam-tac is the right glue.
                                          AMA 424553

Comment

Working...
                                          X