Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished my P-400. Callie did the graphics and paint masks. It represents a P-400 that flew out of Port Morsby and Milne Bay, New Guinea in late 1942 and early 1943. And yes the wings don’t match - the aircraft had a wing replaced “in the field” since at that time in WWII there was not a lot of planes available so they “kept them flying” any way they could.

Click image for larger version  Name:	0F08D703-7B5D-4E08-BBDD-F9443B042DDB.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	84.2 KB ID:	195189Click image for larger version  Name:	54FEBE6E-304B-4138-A536-58CAFFC96E71.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	96.0 KB ID:	195190Click image for larger version  Name:	E818E0BC-FD83-47CE-831D-55D01E72907D.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	107.7 KB ID:	195191
    Last edited by theoldALFER; May 19, 2019, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Madened the Airacobra this morning. A few clicks of down and a few left and she flew like she was on rails Used low rates on all controls. Great roll rate. Landed with half flap setting. Kept her nose high and used throttle to control sink rate...greased the landing This bird is a keeper for sure. :Cool::Cool::Cool:

Comment

Very nice Alfer! I like the historic rendering.:Cool:

Comment

Great to hear Alfer. Beautiful historic rendering BTW!

Grossman56
          Team Gross!

Comment

Here is my maiden flight of the P-39, I love this plane on 4S!

Comment

Wow, quite a great little airplane there Dave. I gather that the first landing was at half flaps and the second with full?

Grossman56
              Team Gross!

Comment

After seven flights, I’m happy with this airplane. Low rates on all except elevator which is set at mid rate. Using a 2800mah 30c 3 cell (G-force from Value Hobby) I’m getting six minutes with 20 seconds “in the bank” just in case.
                Half flap for landing - but it goes nose low and needs application of up elevator to get a good nose up attitude for landing. A bit nose heavy?

Comment

:Thinking: Hello...anybody out there? (Zombie Apocalypse perhaps?)

15 flights. Nose still drops with flaps (1/2 flaps). Anyone else?

Comment

Spent a little over an hour this afternoon installing air ducts to cool my ESC and battery in the P-39. A couple of plastic “bendy” straws, X-Acto knife, drill bits (up to 1/4 inch), Scotch Tape, and some Gorilla Glue were all that were needed. The two flash suppressor is in the nose make for an excellent place to hide the straws that act as ducts.
                    Hope the pictures explain the “duct” system better than a long winded written one. Give it a try.

Click image for larger version

Name:	540A1841-C681-42E3-BC51-6AD017148212.jpeg
Views:	889
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	198669Click image for larger version

Name:	95ACDC27-0ED3-4481-AFD9-25016326DC84.jpeg
Views:	860
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	198670Click image for larger version

Name:	45C77F8F-29AD-472E-B205-44B0A01AFB98.jpeg
Views:	859
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	198671Click image for larger version

Name:	F0E830C2-99B5-4272-9756-B68025626A2D.jpeg
Views:	871
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	198672Click image for larger version

Name:	3D9B962F-9EC0-4489-A1B4-E1518BE9F9B6.jpeg
Views:	869
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	198673

Comment

Name:	8F1C088B-D892-453D-992D-81206AA33026.jpeg
Views:	847
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	200953 Cape Coral flight awaits scramble orders :Goodbye:

Name:	A2E60CA5-283F-470B-8BEC-80770CA0C6CD.jpeg
Views:	828
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	200954
                      Mission completed !
                      Awaiting next mission.

Comment

Originally posted by theoldALFER View Post
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	8F1C088B-D892-453D-992D-81206AA33026.jpeg Views:	123 Size:	194.1 KB ID:	200953 Cape Coral flight awaits scramble orders :Goodbye:

Click image for larger version  Name:	A2E60CA5-283F-470B-8BEC-80770CA0C6CD.jpeg Views:	108 Size:	136.9 KB ID:	200954
                        Mission completed !
                        Awaiting next mission.
                        Nice work, dude. I just bought one of these Tuesday night. I walked into the local Hobbytown USA only to find out they were closing the store and everything was on clearance. Got the BNF for 15% off. Not bad.I had my maiden flight yesterday. I still need to fly it some more, and figure out how/where I like the battery to sit. I use 4S 3300mah lipos in all of my E-Flite 1.2m planes without issue. The P-39, however, sank like mad. Nose kept pitching down, so I need to dial in placement. In the air it flies great. It was a bit windy when I flew, kicking 8 to 10knots and a crosswind at that. I had to crab it in on my last flight and was doubting I'd pull it off. Happy to say I greased it. I -love- this plane on approach. It sets into a stable sink rate so easily and it doesn't take much to ease her on in.

I have Callie Graphics working on livery for me. I plan to do the 103 "Little Toni," at the bottom, but might put some red on the top of the vertical stabilizer like the ones above it. It isn't 100% accurate to the livery, but it should help a lot with orientation.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by dkalwishky View Post
                          That is one of the best landings I have seen. It shows the sink rate on final perfectly. I love how the plane just comes on down and settles in. I may have a new favorite plane.

Comment

Thanks! It's a favorite plane for sure.

Comment

Hi Dave,

Beautiful flight! I just finished assembling the P-39 and setting it up on my DX9. Winter has set in in here so probably won't maiden til spring. I left off the pitot tube because I didn't want to mash up the foam trying to remove the small hatch on the left wing. Tried to pry it of with a small allen wrench through the hole for the pitot tube in leading edge but gave up. How did you do it? In your maiden video you mentioned you liked it better on low rates. Did you use recommended 70% on all flight surfaces? I've been thinking about setting low rates on elevator to 80-85% for more authority on landing.

Comment

Anyone know of a 4s lipo more than 2200 which will fit the slide-in battery tray. I know I could remove the tray and fit a larger lipo, but I like the convenience

Comment

Originally posted by ICM View Post
                                  Anyone know of a 4s lipo more than 2200 which will fit the slide-in battery tray. I know I could remove the tray and fit a larger lipo, but I like the convenience
                                  You have to wedge it in there but the Admiral 4s 2500 pros will fit. That is what I fly mine with. I leave the tray in place and slide the battery under the strap at a angle and they twist it so it sits flat. Then tighten up the strap that you can reach. It is wedged in there pretty tight. I can get 5 min of full throttle flight with plenty left on the pack.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim K View Post

You have to wedge it in there but the Admiral 4s 2500 pros will fit. That is what I fly mine with. I leave the tray in place and slide the battery under the strap at a angle and they twist it so it sits flat. Then tighten up the strap that you can reach. It is wedged in there pretty tight. I can get 5 min of full throttle flight with plenty left on the pack.
                                    Thanks Tim. When you say its "wedged in there pretty tight" is that due to Admiral Pro's length, width or height? I found a Gens Ace 4s 2600 which is 16mm shorter, 5mm less in width but 6mm more in height. Might be able to strap it on the tray outside the plane and slide it in if the height is ok?

Comment

The width of it will fit tight against the sides of the foam, After a few times putting it in and out it gets easier. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2756.JPG
Views:	587
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	223640

Comment

Originally posted by ICM View Post
                                        i fly 6 minutes hard on the Admiral 4s Pro 45c 2200. more than enough battery and reserve for this airframe.

Comment

Originally posted by dkalwishky View Post
                                          Hi David, Just loved the unboxing & flight video. You are a great communicator so thank you indeed. I am awaiting my E-flite P-39 for delivery this coming week just over a year since you flew yours. You provided lots of info. Keep safe & well Regards bellairvideo (youtube)

Comment

Working...
                                          X