You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alpha's Favorite: Bancroft 1/200 scale Battleship Missouri -RTR (Ready to Run)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dai phan unfortunately yes picked up on some damages. Stocked up on epoxy to repair it and for future repairs. I expect damages to come, it hurts me inside a little 😂 but nothing to be too upset about. I almost lost one of the OS2U planes, so i secured it. I agree the 1/150 will be more sturdy.

Alpha

Thank you! I did not get any water inside the Hull. I did have some small mechanical issues today at a small area here at Fort Sill. I'm in the works of making a video within the next few weeks. I thought about adding upgrades to this but I think I'll hold off and do this to the 1/150. the only upgrade I'll do is batteries so I can stay out on the lakes and ponds longer 🤙

-have a good 'un!
    Rex.

Comment

Originally posted by Th3Resurreccion View Post
      dai phan unfortunately yes picked up on some damages. Stocked up on epoxy to repair it and for future repairs. I expect damages to come, it hurts me inside a little 😂 but nothing to be too upset about. I almost lost one of the OS2U planes, so i secured it. I agree the 1/150 will be more sturdy.

Alpha

Thank you! I did not get any water inside the Hull. I did have some small mechanical issues today at a small area here at Fort Sill. I'm in the works of making a video within the next few weeks. I thought about adding upgrades to this but I think I'll hold off and do this to the 1/150. the only upgrade I'll do is batteries so I can stay out on the lakes and ponds longer 🤙

-have a good 'un!
      Rex.
      I think the 1/200 versions are too fragile to play with. The 1/150 is much better. I have Graupner (Made by Ky Models) 1/150 Bismark and it is much more robust and looks better with the larger size. I think the 1/200 is a tad too small. Warships need to be big to NOT look like a toy. Dai

Comment

respectfully saying the missiori battle ship is awesome

Comment

Love the Missouri battle ship it loooks nice and very detailed but I already have to rc boats and twos enough for me

Comment

And respectfully saying whoever has a Missouri battle ship I respectfully honor that or any rc boats just respectfully saying that rc boating is a great way to relax but be aware of your surroundings when you’re running a rc boat last couple of Fourth of July some kid tryed to shoot a hole in my fletcher class destroyer battleship destroyer but a naval officer asked me if I had con I said sir yes sir he told me to make normal 1/3 turns come right to 346 and I was very thankful of him for doing that I hope that I meet him again the naval officer

Comment

All - I noticed some of you are having ESC problems or problems with hot ESC or motors. After testing some of our test boats, we found the problem is absolutely not ESC or motor related. Rather, we found the red grease used on the prop shaft(s) is too heavy and will cause the motors to work too hard. We removed the red grease from the shafts on our test boats and replaced it with petroleum jelly. We ran an amp test before and after we replaced the grease and found the amp draw went down by 80% and the boat speed was now 4X faster with a cool ESC and cool motors. If any of you are feeling a hot motor or ESC, please replace the red grease on the prop shaft with petroleum jelly. If you need help, please call or email our support. Credit to Derek in Motion RC support for figuring this out.

Comment

Tom,
                Excellent post. I appreciate MRC looking in to this, doing the forensics and recommending a fix. I was confident that Alpha and the team speced the models correctly for electronics and so were mystified by the reports of ESC problems. The thick grease is a good example of an seemingly innocuous detail that takes down a well designed system.

Comment

Anyone know what color gray is used to match the USS Missouri.
                  I have some broken gun barrels I need to replace and paint.

Comment

Probably haze grey. The Bancroft model, while beautiful, doesn't wear an authentic US Navy WWII color scheme. The WWII USS Missouri is usually modelled in the Measure 22 camouflage pattern. MS 22 featured navy blue on the hull, parallel to the water line, up to the lowest part of the deck sheer. Vertical surfaces above that were painted haze grey.

Earlier in her life, the Big Mo wore measure 32 design 22D, which was a much more complex camo pattern. In that scheme, ocean grey and light grey were both used.

Comment

Thanks for that information, I’ll check out those colors!

Comment

I became my beauty this week and I'm very impressed.

I have made a video for all interested. The ship got more details than expected.

Max

Comment

Hi all I've had one of these for a while now and have been looking over it to see what's what ..
                          Now looking at the servo linkage is to the rudder if there is a problem how do you get to it ..You can't remove the deck as its fixed.I can't see how you would be able to get in there to deal with any issues in that area.. Or an I missing something ..There's not an arrow pointing saying open here .lol..
                          Just a thought .

Mark..

Comment

When is the 1/150 Big Mo available??

Comment

Originally posted by Mark W View Post
                              Hi all I've had one of these for a while now and have been looking over it to see what's what ..
                              Now looking at the servo linkage is to the rudder if there is a problem how do you get to it ..You can't remove the deck as its fixed.I can't see how you would be able to get in there to deal with any issues in that area.. Or an I missing something ..There's not an arrow pointing saying open here .lol..
                              Just a thought .

Mark..
                              Did you ever get an answer? Will it be different on the 1/150 scale?

Comment

Originally posted by Max Supercars View Post
                                I became my beauty this week and I'm very impressed.

I have made a video for all interested. The ship got more details than expected.

Max

Great ..vid of this leviathon of ww2.. being from down under,, i consider myself lucky to have been to pearl harbour.. aw inspiring stuff standing were macarther stood,, and blamey 4 us aussies.. arizona broke me down,, after reading the death board and saw my surname,, no relation.. again aw inspiring.. and great video

Comment

No Paulh .Never got an answer.So far I have not had to get to the servo linkage is to the rudder.There will be a problem if I do ..It will a night mare ..

Comment

TWO ESCs ON ONE SHIP

I wanted to share that in my 1/200 Missouri (and in most of my other multi-screw boats) how I am able to independently control throttles to be able to twist the ship by moving port forward and starboard in reverse (or the opposite). This is how I do it. It does not make it right. There are many other methods, some of which may be more suitable for your application.

While many multi-screw boats come with a single ESC, you need at least two independent ESCs to twist the ship. I can pivot her in her own length and pull her out from the pier in a minimum of space, no tugs needed. If you are fancy with your rudder, you can even walk her sideways without a bow thruster.

On many boats I am able to use inexpensive RC car ESCs with good results. They can be set for forward and reverse, rather than their default forward, brake, reverse function and many can be had for under $15 a unit. I run one ESC to each side of the boat, be it a two shaft or four shaft. Four ESCs on a four shaft is probably better, but could be overkill, so long as your total amp draw is within the capacity of the ESC. Many of our boats probably only draw 10 or 15 amps total per side when running at displacement speeds. But you can check this with a meter to ensure you are within the capacity of the ESC.

The real magic comes from mixing, within the transmitter. I use a Spectrum DX9, but many radios can do computerized mixing. This is a stick radio, but wheel computer radios can do the same thing. The end result is that one motor is on the elevator channel and one is on an Aux channel. With the mix deactivated, up elevator is forward motion on both sides of the ship. When I flip a switch to activate a mix, up elevator is also forward on both side, BUT, if I move the stick to the left or right...the aileron control, one motor goes forward and one goes reverse AND does it proportionately. And if I move the stick forward while doing this, there is still forward throttle on BOTH sides, so effectively I can slow one side while maintaining power on the other to tighten a turn, without actually going in reverse on the shaft on the inside of the turn. This is great for long ships that need speed to turn, such as the Missouri.

There are tutorials on Youtube and RC Groups on how to do the programming and it is not hard. Once you have it, you can copy it for each new ship you use it on, so you are only programming it once.

In the attached photos, my wiring is not yet neatened up, so there is a bit more work to do, but you can get the idea. I 3d printed the little tray for the ESCs to keep things neat. When using two or more ESCs, it is important to disconnect the power from the BEC from one of them so that it does not interfere with the other one. To do this in a non permanent way I make a short servo extension with only the ground and signal wire and use that on the throttle of one ESC, that way I am only using the BEC from one ESC.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Very nice Missouri battleship it looks very excellent

Comment

Working...
                                      X