Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printed plastic props

Applies to all the Bancroft model boats:

Printed plastic props- ugh. I know KY can keep costs down with these, but it's a fairly soft plastic, nothing like molded nylon, and they secure the props with grub screws which are sure to strip out.
    Note to retailer: You need to order spares of easily damaged parts like these!

A couple options I'd love to see KY pursue:

1. Metal inserts. Even many molded nylon props have molded-in metal inserts for durability. For my Fairplay 30, I designed my own SLS nylon props with a hex hole, then machined brass hex stock to press in and accept the grub screw.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PropAsy1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	45.8 KB ID:	275428

2. Cast brass props. Pricey but doable from sources like Prop Shop in the UK, who have patterns in many flavors and do their own investment casting. But in China, come on, they could clean up with local labor costs. KY could get a printer that would print their own waxes, or they can make a master and have a casting house make the rubber pattern to produce production waxes. The cost is all in making the the plaster molds and pouring and cleaning the metal castings, lots of labor.
    I have made some of my own props in brass and bronze through Shapeways... even pricier with SW's markups, but it was worth it to me. Such props could be offered by the retailer as an upgrade, hint hint.
    My own special prop in bronze:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20160328_150627a.jpg Views:	0 Size:	282.9 KB ID:	275429

And I know KY is listening... I have their Fairplay 30 tug kit, a big sister to the Fairplay IV soon to be available here. It has twin Schottel drives, which have a funky arrangement where the steering motion causes the motor bodies to pivot, dragging the wires around in the hull. Bad for the space this eats up, bad for the wires where they are soldered into the motors, with no strain reliefs. So I designed a fix, which now appears to have been further improved and adopted into the new FP30 kits.

My fix:
    An improvement for the KY Models/PEBA "Fairplay 30" model. The original steering plan causes stress on the motor wires, as they have to move with the steerin...

Comment

Working...
    X