X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pimping Your RC Cars and Trucs

Post the mods and upgrading that you're doing to you ground pounders.
    ---
    Warbirder

I'm not really much of ground-pounder guy. i'm a warbirder. I do have an Axial Honcho crawler though. A few weeks ago, I decided to convert it into a USAF Follow Me Truck, with switch-activated lights, thinking that it'd be a hoot to take it to the airfield. I bought a new body and painted it dark AF Blue. In order to be able to have controllable lights, I needed a larger receiver. I pulled the stock receiver and replaced it with an air LemonRX 6-channel receiver and use my DX9 transmitter to control it. Since the throttle has both forward and reverse, I can't use the left stick throttle (my DX9 is Mode 2) because it doesn't center when the stick is released. So, I put both throttle and turn on the right stick. It takes a little getting to, to have the throttle on the right stick, but it's not too bad. The Throttle Channel, Rudder Channel, Channel 5, and Channel 6 have been put on Switches A, B, C, and D. and each of these channels goes to an LED switch/controller. The emergency lights on the cab and the bed are on one channel. The front head lights are on a dedicated channel and are set to flash. The Left and Right Turn Signals each has its own channel and are also set to flash. The turn signals are for full-scale cars and are 12v, but work fine on 5.5v. The other LEDs and controllers are designed for RC cars and are tailored for 5.5v. I also installed a GoolRC sound module and have it set to a throaty diesel sound.

Anyway, I thought I'd share what I've been working on. Would like to see what others have done to upgrade or modify their cars and trucks.
    ---
    Warbirder

Comment

Not something I've done yet but wanted to ask before I start - my nephew is big into gaming, Starcraft particularly. I wanted to mod an RC car for his bday to look like one of the vehicles from the game (Coolest uncle ever, amirite?) but I'm a bit stuck on what paint would be best to use. My best bet was tamiya model paints but is there anything I should know for prepping/sealing the paint when I'm done? Looking for some advice before I spend the $$$

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyWade View Post
        Not something I've done yet but wanted to ask before I start - my nephew is big into gaming, Starcraft particularly. I wanted to mod an RC car for his bday to look like one of the vehicles from the game (Coolest uncle ever, amirite?) but I'm a bit stuck on what paint would be best to use. My best bet was tamiya model paints but is there anything I should know for prepping/sealing the paint when I'm done? Looking for some advice before I spend the $$$
        BW, Welcome to Hobby Squawk. Hey, do what just makes sense, wash the part with warm soapy water to remove grime, hand oils, etc, dry thoroughly, wipe with a tack cloth or clean p-towel with IPA. If the surface has been painted before or has noticeable scratches, dings then prime with Tamiya primer or equivalent before applying your color(s). Check yutoob for videos on any of this, there are a zillion "how to's" on painting models. Best, LB
        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Originally posted by Elbee View Post

BW, Welcome to Hobby Squawk. Hey, do what just makes sense, wash the part with warm soapy water to remove grime, hand oils, etc, dry thoroughly, wipe with a tack cloth or clean p-towel with IPA. If the surface has been painted before or has noticeable scratches, dings then prime with Tamiya primer or equivalent before applying your color(s). Check yutoob for videos on any of this, there are a zillion "how to's" on painting models. Best, LB
          Hey LB, Thanks so much!

This is great advice, thank you! I'm actually really excited for this project haha. Found some tips on weathering etc too.

Thanks for all your help!

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyWade View Post

Hey LB, Thanks so much!

This is great advice, thank you! I'm actually really excited for this project haha. Found some tips on weathering etc too.

Thanks for all your help!
            Hey BobbyWade - Did you ever get started on this Starcraft mod? I'd be interested to see the progress

Comment

Working...
            X