X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RC Car Help

I am an engineering student and am building an rc chassis with numerous sensors. I am struggling with what exactly I would need for the wheels and drive motor. The chassis is going to be aluminum and dimensions are 8"x12"x4" (lxwxh). The car will only be driving over cement. Any recommendations for components? Thank you for the help everyone!!

ksterling15 Welcome to Hobby Squawk! There are many knowledgeable people here who would like to help, but we'd need a lot more information about your project to be able to give you more accurate input. For example, what is the mission of the vehicle, what is your budget, what is the targeted total weight, payload, speed vs torque, power source, etc.

There are many "rollers" available, and many RTR vehicles that might be able to be adapted to your project, depending on exactly what your project is.

Let us know!
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

I am building a vehicle inspection system that goes under vehicles and uses a thermal IR camera to detect fluid leaks. It is also going to have a FPV camera with a pan/tilt system to inspect the under body of the vehicle. I am also considering adding a noise sensor to the system as well. This system needs to be wireless remote controlled and speed should be rather slow to maintain a clear image from the cameras. My budget is around $500, which half of that will be going towards the cameras and sensors. Target weight is not a real issue, but I am trying to keep it somewhat compact so it is portable and easy to package. I don't have any information on speed vs torque, power source, payload, etc. I was starting with the chassis and base components before moving further. I was looking at 4 DC motors to power the tires. I am not sure of the components I need to make the vehicle operate.

Comment

Alpha see reply above

Comment

ksterling15

Three things that come to my mind based on your additional info:

1) Are we to assume that you'll be inspecting the undersides of "normal" vehicles? So, normal ground clearance of 6-10 inches from the ground for the average sedan to SUV? That's pretty close to the lens.

2) What is the minimum focusing distance of your FPV equipment and sensors? Consider a wide angle lens and something that is somewhat adjustable so you can ensure the camera can focus on an object only a few inches from it. Also, for an underbody inspection rig, you'll want lots of illumination, since FPV camera footage degrades rapidly in low light conditions.

3) Your project sounds simple enough in terms of an RC chassis. A Crawler with a brushed motor and an electronic brake setting in its ESC will be more than suitable. You can buy almost any 1/10 scale stadium truck from WLToys for around $100-$150 that includes the radio, battery, charger, and the vehicle itself, then just start bolting your sensors and lights onto it. You don't need specialized wheels or suspension or control electronics for a vehicle with as straightforward a mission as "Drive under the car slowly and film it". You definitely do not need to over-complicate things with individual motors per wheel.

The typical electric RC truck these days consists of a frame, suspension, wheels, all driven by a single brushed motor that is controlled by an Electronic Speed Control (ESC) that is powered by a rechargeable battery. The entire system is controlled by a 2.4Ghz radio transmitter in your hands.

Look for "1/10 scale RTR" or "Ready to Run" setups. You're just looking for a slow truck, which in your case is good, because slow = cheaper. You don't need to dump hundreds of dollars on fancy metal hop ups or cosmetic upgrades. If it were me, I would buy a 1/10 scale RTR truck, ditch the body, and scratch build a frame directly on top of the existing truck's chassis. 'No need to reinvent the wheel.
          Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

1) Yes that is what we are working with. Might need to decrease the height of our project.
            2) That is what I was looking in to. Any recommendations on these FPV cams? I have never used them before, but have been researching them for a while now.
            3) The only thing with that is that the professor for this class wants us to build the actual car to "show off our engineering minds." That is why I was looking into building the chassis and ordering the wheels, motor suspension and control electronics.

Comment

Alpha

Comment

I know it is just a photo if you are trying to said it is in realize that this could never be happen when somethings are new and we don't know who can and from which place they make careersbooster review better and also problem some products whom she's just find here for everyone.

Comment

I learned absolutely everything about my question when I read this post, thanks to the author for the detailed description. I wrote my review on the proessaywriting reviews you can go in and read. Thank you very much for your attention and your time.

Comment

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by sharase
                      I've been seeking for information on this subject for a while, so this post is quite essential to me. I hope you'll have many chances to improve this website. Try [URL="https://subrfers[/URL] to learn new cchallenge
                      Garbage SPAM link. DO NOT CLICK ON IT.

Comment

Originally posted by golefuh View Post
                        DO NOT CLICK ON THAT LINK. It takes you into an endless loop that takes you to his garbage SPAM link.

Comment

Working...
                        X