X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kyosho Mini-Z Challenger Gray SRT Hellcat Redeye Review

Overall, just a wonderful product! I can see why they have been around for some 20 years and are more popular than ever. New customers are discovering these small RC cars with big fun every day.

The shipping box arrived undamaged and in great shape. The inner box was also in perfect condition. Product is packed extremely well. I do not think packing can be improved. Car itself in screwed down into place. If anything, it takes effort to unpack it!

Attached Files

The radio is of a good quality for this price point. Of course, if it was bigger for an adult hand, but I think they also have to consider a younger person driving these as well. The 4 AAA batteries last forever in this unit. Must have a very low power requirement. There are adjustments for trim on steering and throttle. Also, the ability to control the headlights to stay on steady or flash from slow to rapid. You can also adjust it for more or less angle on the steering. This is very helpful if you install a gyro unit. The gyro will automatically reduce steering angle, so the knob is used to increase or decrease depending on your personal liking. Last thing to mention on the radio. Holding the throttle trigger back (forward for the car) and turning the radio on, will put you in full power mode, holding it forward (reverse for the car) will put you in beginner power mode. Nice feature. When running the car, if you go from forward to reverse this will act as a brake function. The second time you reverse the car will backup.
    Attached Files

Comment

Make sure to remove these items before installing the batteries and running it.
      Attached Files

Comment

The Challenger is beautiful, in both scale details and the finish, top notch! They say they are hand polished, and I believe that. Very glossy clear coat finish, that also holds up well to impacts from other cars on the track. I have found no chipping, and scratches polish out pretty easily with regular automotive polish. The matt black paint is also sturdy and durable as well.

Details abound, scale wheels, side view mirrors are made of a paintable rubber. They flex on impacts so they are not broken off. Windshield wipers, clear headlights. Just like the real car the inner headlights look to be open because they also function as an additional engine air intake. SRT badging on the rear spoiler. Hellcat Syble on the fenders, Tail lights are extremely realistic looking, exhaust tips! It's all there.

The Chassis, batteries are easily installed, and a tool is provided to remove them. Also uses just 4 AAA and run times are at least an hour. I recommend you use rechargeable batteries for the car especially, radio it could be an option. There is a plastic shipping insert that must be removed before you attempt to load the batteries in the chassis. See Photo, also a warning sticker on the motor must be removed before running the car.

One thing I have noticed, is I changed the gearset out for the highspeed gears, (comes with lower gearing installed) this is included with the car, the motor tended to run hot. So, I swapped back to the lower gearing and now it runs cooler. I would recommend staying with the lower gear ratio until the motor completes its break-in period. Gear changes, motor removal, basic maintenance is all very easy on this car. It is well thought out mechanically. Construction for the most part is sturdy.
        Attached Files

Comment

LED lights is a must. The factory has these available in a kit form. The Challenger can actually use 2 complete light kits. So, 4 headlights and 4 taillights. An adapter is required to do this, and that is also available from Kyosho. I did my own custom install, save a lot of money and uses a lot less wiring. Now the car is highly visible and looks even more scale, A separate system is used for the taillights. When the brake function is used from the radio, it will activate brake lights. Very cool and scale looking!
          Attached Files

Comment

I have changed out the tires and rims for track use as well and added some micro LED's to simulate running lights. The windshield decal just adds a bit more to the scale look.
            Attached Files

Comment

Lastly, a couple of pics for the gyro install. Super easy and I find for the track about 25% and 50% for drifting. The small dial is already built into the mother board on the car.
              Attached Files

Comment

Here are a couple of simple videos I shot of the car in action. Enjoy!

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Comment

Working...
                X