X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3DPUP File Exchange for RC Tanks and Armored Vehicles

This master thread is intended to organize all tank/armor 3DPUPs designed in-house by Motion RC, our development team, and our factory partners. I also welcome everyone to post their own 3DP creations so other modelers can share in the fun!

When posting, please include the STL file, a picture of the finished product, preferably a photo or description of how to position the part on the build plate, and also any special settings, if required. For example, infill %, supports, etc.
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Version 1 of a sun shield for Heng Long TK6 IR receiver ("apple"). Must be painted black! I'll update this post as my testing continues.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20191219_225851.jpg Views:	0 Size:	140.8 KB ID:	223924Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20191219_230851.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.2 KB ID:	223921
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20191220_001332.jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.5 KB ID:	223923Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20191219_231048.jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.2 KB ID:	223922

Comment

You may have noticed several "onboard" shots during our Tank Introduction video, linked below.

Those "onboard" shots were made with this easy to print mount that I designed for a GoPro Hero 4 and similarly sized action cameras. You'll need a 6mm carbon tube, and probably a round metal file to lap the inner hole depending on how tight you want the fit to be. Printed in PLA at 25% infill.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191220_025648.jpg
Views:	1152
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	223933Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191220_025916.jpg
Views:	1105
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	223934

Comment

Subscribed...

Comment

All over it.....Is it February yet????

Comment

Buddy of mine printed up the sunshades while we try to patiently wait.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jdcrow View Post
              Buddy of mine printed up the sunshades while we try to patiently wait.
              They will make a huge difference in outdoor bright sunlight use. Try it with and without the shade and you will see.

Myself I am still trying to find someone local that can print a dozen or so of these that can be given to new club attendees to use on their 6.0 tanks.

Comment

I added a reflective adhesive mirror on the ceiling of the top cover, facing down toward the apple. This seems to improve reception slightly better than without it. More tests to come to verify this result with a larger sample set, though.

Name:	IMG_20191230_164103.jpg
Views:	1079
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	225287

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

They will make a huge difference in outdoor bright sunlight use. Try it with and without the shade and you will see.

Myself I am still trying to find someone local that can print a dozen or so of these that can be given to new club attendees to use on their 6.0 tanks.
                  I am East Coast but I can print you up a bunch if you want them.

Comment

Don't mass print them yet, guys, I am still working on a final version that assembles more easily. The files above were primarily intended for others to test and give me feedback, otherwise I'll refine the design based on my testing alone and will post the final print-ready STL files in about one a month from now, before the tanks arrive. I plan a couple of different designs for heavy sun or light sun conditions, and also different shapes to somewhat blend better depending on the tank it's mounted on.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                      I added a reflective adhesive mirror on the ceiling of the top cover, facing down toward the apple. This seems to improve reception slightly better than without it. More tests to come to verify this result with a larger sample set, though.

Name:	IMG_20191230_164103.jpg
Views:	1079
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	225287
                      I added a mirror disc like you are doing to my first one when I built it a few months ago. It does help a little. Gold like you are using should have good results. Gold reflects IR best but then I suspect you know that.

Comment

Attached is a file for a mount I designed to specifically fit the Heng Long 1/16 King Tiger. This mount is printed with 100% infill, standard PLA. It screws onto the smoke generator, using the original screws. No glue is required. The mount functions as a free-floating stand off type of mount, to position a three digit LED voltage indicator directly below the hatch cover without needing to run wires to the upper hull or into the turret. You will need to cut out the hatch.

I soldered a momentary switch in between the ground line, so the voltage indicator illuminates only while I am pressing the button, whether the tank is on or off. The battery's balance connector is plugged into a corresponding connector soldered to the voltage indicator.

Supplies required:
                        1) Three digit LED voltage indicator suitable for 5v-12v
                        2) Momentary switch
                        3) 3-pin balance plug female receptacle
                        4) Pin vise and/or hobby saw to remove the hatch
                        5) 3D printer (I use the Ender 3)

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200102_181125.jpg Views:	0 Size:	98.0 KB ID:	225792Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200102_021405.jpg Views:	0 Size:	101.6 KB ID:	225791

I am designing 3DP hinges to articulate the original hatch door. The advantage of locating the voltage indicator in this position is that it is not connected to the upper hull, so removing the upper hull remains easy and uncluttered.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200102_021451.jpg Views:	0 Size:	170.3 KB ID:	225794Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200102_031148.jpg Views:	0 Size:	153.0 KB ID:	225793

A more accessible location for the voltage indicator would be concealed under one of the two hatches on top of the turret, the advantage being that both of these hatches are articulated from the factory so you don't need to cut anything. The disadvantage is that you now have four more wires running up into the turret from the lower hull. If you don't plan on opening up the tank a lot, then perhaps either of these locations would be easier to implement.

Comment

Printing a few sun shades now for some testing

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                            Version 1 of a sun shield for Heng Long TK6 IR receiver ("apple"). Must be painted black! I'll update this post as my testing continues.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20191219_225851.jpg Views:	0 Size:	140.8 KB ID:	223924Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20191219_230851.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.2 KB ID:	223921
                            Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20191220_001332.jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.5 KB ID:	223923Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20191219_231048.jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.2 KB ID:	223922
                            Ok for the first real print on my new 3D Printer I printed these. Thanks for providing the drawings/files. Not sure I like that you build it on the IR detector and once built its not removable. Then again I can't think of a reason why I would remove it later.

Thanks

Comment

Hey all. I am hoping this thread will explode after the next tank shipment. In the mean time, has anyone designed a mod for an Idler arm for the HL King Tiger? That will be my first tank if it doesn't sell out in the first hour . Put in an "In-Stock Notice" at MRC. Best, LB
                              I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                              ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                              ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Is there an update on the HL sun shades? and where to find it to 3d print one.

Comment

Well my 3D printer guy was a bust. Is there some one that makes these I'd like 4-5.

Comment

Whitlerz (aka: BcuriousR) has uploaded this IR receiver base to fit a JST-XH 5-pin connector. Designed for open turrets or other open mountings cleaverly disguised with a cover that looks like a radio if you choose.
                                    Thank you, BcuriousR.

This Infrared Battle Unit Base was designed to fit the 1/16 Scale Mato M36 Jackson turret. The stand mounts to the servo retainer. You will need a 5 Pin JST-XHP 2.54mm connector and wiring. The base is not designed to fit the Tamiya "Apple", but with the unit created by LegoDEI. The radio cover is held on by friction.

Click image for larger version  Name:	BcuriousR_IR_Base.jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.7 KB ID:	260754

Comment

Vaseline uploaded his version of an IR Receiver (HL) mount (LegoDEI) for JST-XH 5-pin or "Dupont" style connectors 5 across IR receiver.

Quote from other post by Vaseline:
                                      I designed a universal 3D printed riser tower to set the 5 pin plug into for mounting LegoDEI's receivers in tanks with really low hatch floors/ cupolas. .STL found here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4384598
                                      Thank you Vaseline.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4384598

Name:	fetch?id=255940&d=1590129057.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	260757

Comment

Originally posted by William Fraden View Post
                                        Is there an update on the HL sun shades? and where to find it to 3d print one.
                                        I'm confused on this. Where are the files for the sunshades? I see posts that people have printed them but, no stl files?

Comment

Working...
                                        X