X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank History Videos, Resources and References

This thread is intended to collect and organize input from the RC tank community for videos, books, and other content for references to armored vehicles. Please include the resource's name, website link, and a brief description of what they do.

YouTube Channels:
    Matsimus
    The Forgotten History Guy
    Military History Visualized
    theScottishKoala

Museums:
    Bovington Tank Museum
    AAF Tank Museum

Armor modeling channels:
    Night Shift
    Andy's Hobby Headquarters
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Tank encyclopedia:
    General review of most tanks of many countries and time periods.
    Tank Color Profiles
    https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/moder...dern-tanks.php

Tank Destroyers:
    History, Units, Types
    Technical Manuals, some with Armor spec dimensions and dtawings
    http://www.tankdestroyer.net/

The Sherman Tank: All things Sherman plus a great download section with technical manuals.

Blueprints for 3D modeling
    Tank and armor 3-view drawings: Many other vehicle drawings as well. Some with dimensional data.
    https://drawingdatabase.com/category/vehicles/military/

Comment

Thanks for getting this thread started, Beeg. More and more of us are becoming fledgling scale armor modelers, so we might as well dive into photo references, specification references, and whatever visual media we can find.

Tank Chats is a series sponsored by the Bovington Tank Museum. They have dozens of videos covering the tanks in their collection. I love their utterly British manner.

Tank Chats playlist https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBAEOsdxIbLPFEomzphaZQ0A5Vujkpjd8 In Tank Chat #70, David Fletcher talks through the Sherman M4A4....

The Chieftain is a former Abrams tank commander who is as knowledgable as he is enthusiastic and funny. Highly recommended. I've watched every video on his channel over the years.

The Chieftain (Real name Nicholas Moran) is an amateur historian and Wargaming America's resident tanker. Here the emphasis is on long-form, in-depth videos, with a priority on getting inside vehicles to gain the 'human factors' evaluation of things from the end user's perspective as well as other materials sourced from archives.

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

The National Museum of Military Vehicles near Dubois, WY will open on May 25, 2020. (( https://nmmv.org/ )) and they have some cool vintage tanks.

Comment

T Click image for larger version

Name:	War Stories of the Tankers.jpg
Views:	657
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	244328 The book every tanker should have in his library:

Comment

Another good M4 Sherman reference webpage

AFV Database:
            This website has some of the most detailed dimensional and component information about a particular Armored Fighting Vehicle.

Comment

Website with technical information for multitudes of Ordnance, training manuals, etc. Especially a (low quality) copy of TM 9-500 but it's dated 1962 so it's missing most WW2 tanks.
              TM 3-215, Military Chemistry and Chemical Agents (1963)

Another website with Technical Manuals
              U.S. Army Reference Publications of World War II: Technical Manuals, etc.

Comment

Another armor reference forum from Down Under..
                Choose a memorable domain name. Professional, friendly customer support. Start using your domain right away.

Comment

Netflix is running a 4 part series "Age of Tanks". Chronicles from pre-WW1 through present day. Footage I'm guessing most of us have never seen before!
                  Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Found this site on Tiger 1's. Full of photos.
                    Tiger 1 Information Center

Comment

Check out a movie on Youtube: "White Tiger", a Russians vs Germans movie. You'll see T-34/76, T34/85, Matilda II, M3 Lee, BT-7, Panzer IV, SU-122 (or 152) and a fictional tank looking similar to the VK4501(p).

If you have Netflix, "Tanks", "Tankers" and "Tanks for Stalin" are more Russian WW2 movies that showcase some fascinating footage of tanks. You may be surprised how nimble those tanks were.

Comment

Damn Netflix, none of those movies are available on the Dutch Netflix. Even when I set my VPN to a server in the USA they don't show up.

The White Tiger movie was a nice watch, recently saw it. Has an interesting symbolic meaning behind it.
                        I also really liked the T-34 movie, which is arguably a more enjoyable watch.

Comment

White Tiger did have a bunch of patriotic perspective in it, especially at the end. Look around for Tankers (Amazon, YouTube, or?) It features a KV-1.

Comment

"Tankers" is on Youtube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

So I’m watching “A Bridge Too Far”...again! Who knows which tanks they dressed up as Germans? I’m guessing M48’s? Also, I saw a fake Sherman; driving down a road the treads were up off the ground!

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
                                  So I’m watching “A Bridge Too Far”...again! Who knows which tanks they dressed up as Germans? I’m guessing M48’s? Also, I saw a fake Sherman; driving down a road the treads were up off the ground!
                                  Leopard 1 is playing the role of the German tank(s).

Comment

Not sure if this is fitting for this thread. Youtube just recommended this video to me. Very inspirational. They look to be 1/6 scale, what with the details and clothed figures. I especially like the crew heads moving on the Tiger I. Something similar should definitely be possible in 1/16.

Comment

Just came across Modern Armored Fighting Vehicles by Dr. Thomas Bruce. It is on Kindle and if you have Kindle Unlimited it is a free download.

Comment

Working...
                                      X