Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The origins of 1/16th scale R/C tanks ?

What are the origin of 1/16 scale for r/c tanks? This question is asked often by those new to the r/c tank hobby and even by some that have been around it for a while. So I thought I would post a short summery of my understanding of the scales history and dominance in the world of r/c tanks. I also invite others to add their knowledge and understanding to the topic of how 1/16th scale came to be used.

Arguably the origins of 1/16th scale tanks go back as far as the late 1930s to a time when it was required to have a physical engineering model to "show and tell" during company and government presentations. 1/16th worked out to be big enough to show reasonably high details, yet not so big as to be unwieldy or take up too much space. Even today with all our "HD" electronic digital mediums for presentations you can still find 1/16th scale (or close to) model tanks being used in government presentations and at international arms trade shows. Something about humans we still need to see a physical 3D model as it somehow makes it more real in our minds.

For r/c tanks 1/16th scale proved to have the same qualities of not to small not to big and yet allowed enough space inside of the tank for gearboxes and electronics. Tamiya model company was the leader in using this scale and was the first to "mass produce" 1/16th scale "motorized" tanks in the mid 1970s with their M4 Sherman and Tiger tanks, though when first released these "motorized" tanks were wired controlled and had none of the features we see today. Over the next few decades Tamiya expanded their line of 1/16th scale tanks at a time when there was no real competitors, the wire controls went away and r/c came to be the standard in the 1/16th scale tanks. These decades of no competition meant Tamiya by de facto set 1/16th scale as the standard by which later companies would follow, most notably Heng Long and Taigen/Torro.

What started in the 1970s with Tamiya's first two tanks, now sees offerings from an industry with more then 20 types of tanks from the venerable Shermans and Tigers to Panthers, Pershings, Abrams, Challenger 2s, T90/T72s, T34s, Leopard 2s, and Panzers to name only a few. What started out with wire controlled forward back left and right movement only, now we see even some low price entry level tanks with option only dreamed about in decades past. From 360 degree turret rotation, all metal suspensions and tracks, airsoft cannons with recoil, infrared beams for tank on tank battling and the ability to upgrade to even more performance and realistic features at affordable prices.

Though 1/16th scale does have it's detractors, it overall has proven through time.....not to small and not to big.

Below are some examples of ~1/16 scale tanks still being used at "trade shows" presentation world wide.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6726.jpg Views:	0 Size:	261.3 KB ID:	222128

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6725.jpg Views:	0 Size:	102.9 KB ID:	222129

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6727.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.8 KB ID:	222130

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6728.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.3 KB ID:	222131

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6730.jpg Views:	0 Size:	98.5 KB ID:	222133

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6729.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.8 KB ID:	222132

That is fascinating history, I hadn't considered how the 1/16 scale is also used for the "trade show" crowd. It makes a lot of sense!
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

I think the size is appropriate for most in terms of displaying and transporting.

Comment

Working...
      X