X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heng Long T34 build and test review.

I though since I just got the new Heng Long 6.0 T34 in for my wife to drive and join in on more battling with, I would do a quick build and review thread about it.

So to start this T34 is the mid level offering for Heng Long with steel gearboxes, metal tracks, idler wheels, suspension arms and sprockets. My focus was to keep the build simple and fast since we have an upcoming battle event in a few days and my wife still needed to get use to driving and fighting the new tank. Oh and you will see this tank was named for my wife "NIKKI" the #2 indicated the second tank using "NIKKI" in part of the name.

I do my reviews kinda backwards and show the start and finish photos first, then work into the "meat and potatoes" of it all after.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6753.JPG Views:	0 Size:	98.3 KB ID:	222817
    Right out of the box and onto the work bench for complete tear down.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_E6852.JPG Views:	0 Size:	110.8 KB ID:	222818
    Six hours later and it is finished ready for field testing.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_E6858.JPG Views:	0 Size:	170.0 KB ID:	222819
    Close up of the T34 before field testing.

To see the start for finish of the build, field testing photos and report check back soon....

Six hours is a great pace! Nikki looks great, the weathering is really well done. What paints do you use?

Did you add a track link to get that sag? My upper track line rides parallel to the ground. I think yours looks better.

Perhaps in another dimension I'd have a wife that actually enjoyed RC with me.
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

PART 1:

To start off my build I first had to tear down the T34 by removing the tracks, idler wheels and sprockets. Then separate the upper and lower lower hulls and remove the turret. The turret was the major part I needed to work on first to improve function of the gun and IR system.

Since I have no interest in the airsoft features of this tank, yet still want the sound effects and track recoil associated with firing the airsoft cannon, I had to do some simple rewiring to fool the MFU (control board) that the airsoft cannon had fired. This was done by splicing the power lines to the cannon motor together (see photo below) and also splicing the track recoil lines (all yellow ones) together. When the system sequence to fire the airsoft cannon is pressed, the "loops" needed to activate the sound and track recoil are closed and "POW" the cannon sounds and the track recoils. The plus side to this is now the tank can fire without the delay of the airsoft system "winding up" for a much more realistic feel.

The second turret modification was to add cannon flash which this tank was not equipped with from the factory, but has the "plug and play" slot in the 6.0 MFU for a cannon flash option that is available on other tank models. I simple ran an orange LED down the barrel, through the cannon breach and out the bottom of the turret with the other turret wires. The third turret modification was to add an auxiliary power line from the commanders hatch down along the same bunch of turret wires and that the cannon flash LED followed. This auxiliary line will be plugged into the "head light" slot on the MFU and with the attachment of a few red/orange LEDs in the commanders hatch will light up presenting a more visual indication when the tank takes a hit from an IR beam.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6764.jpg
Views:	2455
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	222864
      Removal of the idler wheel(s) to set track tension correctly. This is a new and super important feature in the 6.0 T34.

Name:	IMG_6765.JPG
Views:	2406
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	222865
      Tracks being removed before painting the tank.

Name:	IMG_6786.jpg
Views:	2460
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	222866
      Wiring "by pass" for the cannon sound and track recoil to function when cannon is fired.

Name:	IMG_6809.JPG
Views:	2406
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	222867
      "Hit indicator" LED removable light module plugged into the auxiliary line I added to the turret.

Name:	IMG_E6909.JPG
Views:	2409
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	222868
      Cannon flash plugged in and testing flash.....perfect function and timing with sound and track recoil.

Thats all for PART 1. More to follow soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
        Six hours is a great pace! Nikki looks great, the weathering is really well done. What paints do you use?

Did you add a track link to get that sag? My upper track line rides parallel to the ground. I think yours looks better.

Perhaps in another dimension I'd have a wife that actually enjoyed RC with me.
        SIX hours! My hands are still hurting and my eyes just stopped bleeding. I could have done it in less time, but my airbrush decided it was going to be a pain in the bottom. Spent 90min just getting it sorted out. I will elaborate on the painting and weathering later in the thread, but I will say it is 99.5% one color of paint and two colors of weathering chalk.

Comment

PART 2:

With the upper hull off the tank and having just added the auxiliary power plug in the commanders hatch for "hit indicator" lights, I thought it might be fun to add a few more red and orange LEDs. This time under the engine heat exhaust vents on the sides and back deck of the T34. These LEDs utilize the rear "brake light" power slot in the MFU that was not being used since the T34 has no brake lights. When an IR hit is received all the lights on the tank turn on and flash regardless if they are in the "off setting" (which will have to be engaged when the tank is turned on and only takes a simple push and throw of a switch and stick). So when the T34 is hit these engine vents LEDs will flash red and orange as if there was a fire in the engine bay. This should add an interesting visual effect to the tank and act as another vivid indication of a hit.

Moving on to the metal tracks and adding depth to their appearance. The metal track came in a brushed silver steel color finish which was not bad looking and in time with running in the dirt and sand would dull even more and take on a worn look, but still would be too silver colored for my taste. Painting the tracks is an option for a static tank, but for a outdoor dirt running tank would wear off quickly. The best solution that I have found and that seem to last, plus adds the most realistic wear look over time is to "blacken" the tracks with a "bluing compound". Blackening the tracks is simply a type of fast surface rusting. Brechwood "Perma Blue" gun bluing liquid is perfect for this. It is cheaper then the hobby shop brands, faster acting and can be found at almost any sporting goods store in the U.S.

Here are the photos for PART 2 of the build. If you have any question about this part please feel free to ask.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6789.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.3 KB ID:	222909
          Testing the left side engine fire LEDs

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6790.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.0 KB ID:	222910
          Another view of the engine fire LEDs

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_E6797.JPG Views:	0 Size:	236.9 KB ID:	222911
          Tracks prior to blackening with "Perma Blue" shown above.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_E6800.JPG Views:	0 Size:	167.4 KB ID:	222912
          From silver to a super flat black/gray finish in under three minutes start to finish.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_E6802.JPG Views:	0 Size:	112.2 KB ID:	222913
          This is to show the contrast between the stock steel silver color of the idler wheel and the new "blackened" track color.

PART 3 will be up in a few days so don't forget to check back.

Comment

PART 3:

With the LED lighting modification and track blackening done it was time to mate the upper and lower hulls back together and start putting the plastic detail accessories on. I followed the instructions for placement of the plastic details...well mostly. I did leave out a few and replaced them with other to make the T34 have a closer resemblance to those still in use during the early 1960s.

Painting was also done in this stage of the build and keeping with my simple and fast build time frame, I chose to use only one major color ModelMasters enamel flat Olive Drab and two weathering chalks "soot" and "dark rust". I did use some flat white, silver and red paint on a few small parts, but could have very well skipped these with little apparent visual difference.

Name:	IMG_6760.jpg
Views:	2373
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	223276
            Starting to installing plastic details and check placement/fit prior to removing them for painting and re-installing.

Name:	IMG_6833.jpg
Views:	2449
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	223277
            First coats of Olive Drab going on to lower hull. No primer was used as it was not needed due to the use of enamel paint.

Name:	IMG_6834.JPG
Views:	2439
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	223278
            Fully painted and forced dried with warm air from a heat gun to speed up the building process. Also you might have noticed the loaders hatch now opens to the rear. This was done on a number of T34s that were armed with turret mounted 12.7mm heavy MGs operated by the loader as this one will be equipped.

Name:	IMG_6835.JPG
Views:	2411
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	223279
            Fully painted, track back on with most of the plastic details re-installed ready for weathering.

Attached Files

Comment

PART 3: Continued

Weathering kept simple and fast with just two colors of chalk, "soot" and "dark rust". As the tank is driven outdoors these two colors mixed with nature weathering will only deepen the used look of the tank. If you would like to know more about of the weathering let me know, I can go into more depth.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6837.jpg Views:	0 Size:	84.8 KB ID:	223281

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_E6849.JPG Views:	0 Size:	246.4 KB ID:	223282

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6848.JPG Views:	0 Size:	203.6 KB ID:	223283

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6855.JPG Views:	0 Size:	113.9 KB ID:	223284

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6859.JPG Views:	0 Size:	183.5 KB ID:	223285

Next up in PART 4 is where the fun really starts. Shake down field trials!

Comment

PART 4:

Basic summery of field trials and general impression of overall handing.

Overall handling of the Heng Long 6.0 T34 was rather good. It could crawl at slow speeds with relative ease of control and could make smooth turns at all speeds. The low "power/speed" setting was in my opinion lacking torque at times during some maneuvers in tight terrain and would stall or greatly hamper progress. As such I ended up having to solely use the high "power/speed" setting for the duration of the obstacle testing. Even then, the stock 380 motors and 7.2 volt battery powering them were at the edge of just enough torque. (More power for greater torque could be added by simply increasing the battery voltage, but as this tank is intended for simple IR battling and as a demo loaner, the stock power and torque levels will be adequate for now.)

During the testing I had NO ISSUES with "de-tracking" (loosing a track) and I did try hard to make this happen. Wheel articulation (movement up/down) was smooth and there were no issues with binding or roughness of movement cause by dirt or sand jamming the suspension arms. Track tensioners and suspension arm mounting screws all remained tight through out the testing.

Two glaring drawback to the Heng Long 6.0 T34. First is the track design, regardless of plastic or metal the design does not provide enough grip for climbing or digging in and putting power to the ground. The track slips and spins easily and this limits the type of terrain the T34 can be driven on with a high expectation of traversing with ease. In all fairness this is not solely a Heng long issue and other companies that make a 1/16th r/c T34s have the same issue. The original design of the tracks date back to the 1940s and a specific design purpose that causes the limitation.

The second draw back is the weight balance. The majority of the overall weight is toward the rear of the tank and causes the front end to have a tendency to bounce on rough terrain at higher speeds and causes the front end to drop hard and fast during "break overs" maneuvers like cresting the top of a hill or mound. To a lessor degree the rear weight bias also hampers the ability to climb up steep "step" type obstacles as the front end does not have enough weight to make effect use of the forward two sets of road wheels and the additional grip they could provide to the tracks if under more weight loading. (I will be revisiting the weight bias issues later as it is easily solved with the addition of forward balancing weights. This will help with smoother "break over" transitions and improve track grip somewhat.)

Any issues aside, the Heng Long 6.0 T34 is proving to be a very reliable and tough little tank and I had fun running it over the last few days finding its limits. It has some neat nuances like the "CLAK CLAK CLAK" of its metal tracks a sound the real T34 tracks make which only add too it's cool factor that just screams iconic WWII and Cold War chunky tough warrior. I look forward to seeing how well it earns its keep as time goes on, but right now it is off to a good start.

Here are some of the photos from the field trials. Sorry for the low quality of some photos as these were screen shots from the videos taken during the testing. If you have any question about the testing or this build please feel free to ask.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7090.JPG Views:	0 Size:	295.9 KB ID:	223403
                Monument rock....

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7093.JPG Views:	0 Size:	355.4 KB ID:	223401
                Climbing out of a tank trap ditch.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7092.JPG Views:	0 Size:	252.7 KB ID:	223402
                Uneven boards suspension flexibility test obstacle.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7081.jpg Views:	0 Size:	424.8 KB ID:	223404

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7079.jpg Views:	0 Size:	367.9 KB ID:	223405
                Getting in was easy...getting out was not. Tracks could not grip enough to climb out in forward motion and had to back out.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7103.JPG Views:	0 Size:	278.8 KB ID:	223406
                Slamming down hard after breaking over the crest of the mound.

Comment

PART 4: Continued

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7010.JPG Views:	0 Size:	376.5 KB ID:	223410
                  No words needed............

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7014.JPG Views:	0 Size:	286.6 KB ID:	223409Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6889.JPG Views:	0 Size:	317.1 KB ID:	223411
                  A little rock crawling.....

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6900.JPG Views:	0 Size:	488.2 KB ID:	223412
                  Not enough power or grip to climb out of this tank trap.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6893.JPG Views:	0 Size:	433.2 KB ID:	223413
                  Simple looking is often the most difficult. This obstacle is notorious for causing "de-tacking". Not so with the T34.

Comment

PART 5: IR Battle Testing

The T34 attended its first “official” IR battle on Jan 5th at the LA TANK clubs first battle day of 2020.

Overall the T34 “NIKKI II “ did really well and looked great doing so. It was an easy tank to fight with and more then a match for some of the big dollar big name brand tanks. Below are a few photos of the T34 in action. (The ring with the 4 red LEDs is a hit indicator only installed during battles)

Name:	B3B16B70-CC92-447D-952C-752B590ED49B.jpeg
Views:	2430
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	226499Click image for larger version

Name:	3128264F-0392-499F-AD45-D6A631FA5D97.jpeg
Views:	2395
Size:	265.8 KB
ID:	226500Click image for larger version

Name:	E45DF0FD-B5FA-43B3-B413-C454407A8D77.jpeg
Views:	2454
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	226501Click image for larger version

Name:	C833E775-7D58-4C44-863E-D18A6D099E85.jpeg
Views:	2400
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	226502

Name:	DB0B8B29-A76A-42BC-938A-335CF9C95F92.jpeg
Views:	2321
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	226503Click image for larger version

Name:	AFC27285-3C3B-41C6-8F36-D19199A18983.jpeg
Views:	2380
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	226504

Comment

These environmental action shots really excite me, thanks for posting them! I take it that the event was a success?

Nikki 2 looks great on the prowl!

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                        These environmental action shots really excite me, thanks for posting them! I take it that the event was a success?

Nikki 2 looks great on the prowl!
                        It was a well attended event with lots of fighting, so a good start to the 2020 season. "Nikki II" did well with the 6.0 system, but I am going to purchase a 6.1S system shortly off Ebay to try in her next. I am interested to see if the 6.1S receives hits better then the 6.0 and "Nikki II" is going to be the test bed for that project.

Comment

Excellent write up, I just purchased one of these T34/85's as well, but got the standard 6.0 version and plan to upgrade it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by HDMM View Post
                            Excellent write up, I just purchased one of these T34/85's as well, but got the standard 6.0 version and plan to upgrade it myself.
                            The one in the review is a simple 6.0. It is a mid level version that has metal tracks and sprockets but all plastic wheels.

It’s been a really good tank and after a few more IR battles since the one in this review it is proving quite a lethal fighter.

Comment

Just an update to show how “natural weathering” starts to play a big roll in drawing out painted weathering.

These were taken recently to show the changes the T34 is going through as dust dirt and mud build up from running outdoors.

Click image for larger version  Name:	A77E4BC5-42D2-476C-BB81-2CD8DF5497F5.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	232.5 KB ID:	239647

Click image for larger version  Name:	5617FB63-6D75-4A4C-8326-2BEED937D807.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	396.1 KB ID:	239641

Comment

I'm certain you have seen the movie "Tankers" but if not it's about a captured T-34 tanker Captain and honestly worth reading subtitles. Best LB

I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                                  I'm certain you have seen the movie "Tankers" but if not it's about a captured T-34 tanker Captain and honestly worth reading subtitles. Best LB

The Russian actually have a few good WWII tank themed movies with some excellent filming angles and approaches to showing tanks in combat that put Hollywood to shame. Though I do find the narratives have a bit more hatred toward Germans then those of Western films. No real surprises there.

Comment

• Elbee
                                    Elbee commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Nope, none.

My issue with some of those movies is how old the tank crews are... I may be wrong but I was under the impression that many crews, the later T-34/85 included, averaged 20 years old. Not all of them, of course, but many of the reference photos I've seen show crews that look much younger than the 26 year old average age of an American GI.

I am not familiar with Soviet insignia of the period but perhaps someone could tell me if these young men on a T-34/85 are crew or another post?

Name:	4e1f4ce0a9859030560b56b3df071569--red-army-soviet-union.jpg
Views:	2072
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	240055

Comment

@Rubicon99 Could you expand your weathering techniques? Looking for more ideas for my Sherman...

Comment

Originally posted by Beeg View Post
                                      @Rubicon99 Could you expand your weathering techniques? Looking for more ideas for my Sherman...
                                      I tend to do two types of weathering. One for tanks that are mostly display pieces and one for field uses and abuse tanks.

The T34 in this review is a field use and abuse tank, so it’s weathering is rather simple because any more will be covered by dust, dirt, mud and scratches in a good way. Knowing this will happen, they are considered in the overall base weathering plan. I like the term commonly used for R/C tanks “natural weathering”.

All I used were 3 basic Tamiya “chalks” shown below. First I mixed some into the cup shown, then with the large brush applied generously all over the tank. This darkens the “high points” , gets into the nooks and crannies and helped add a grimy base.

After that I used the makeup applicators shown to darken the more “crew touched” areas with black, rust or both chalks. Then added rust and black chalk “run off” streaks to areas I felt would likely have them.

98% of the base weathering was done with chalks. There is some black and rust paint that was used but it is only on the engine deck grills and exhaust. The rest is all Mother Nature.....

Note: In many of my outdoor photos of this and other tanks I have to use “filters” to draw out the weathering colors because raw sunlight washes the nuances out. What looks good in person, does not always translate on “film” without filtering(sorry I am an old school film photographer and still use those terms).

Here is all that was used for the base weathering. Nothing fancy and all super easy for anyone to use.
                                      Click image for larger version  Name:	090D47A1-ECAB-406B-8A29-7EBB59B462E8.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	106.1 KB ID:	249978

Comment

Working...
                                      X