X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infrared Tank Battling with a club aka Lazer tag with an RC Tank

Ok so I was tagged and asked out to go into depth on how this part of the hobby works since I am a club leader. Bear with me this is long.

First off, I founded "San Diego RC Tank Battles" which uses this name on facebook as a reflector for our group as a sub group of the larger LATank club. Our San Diego club eventually took the name 619th Tank Battalion after our phone area code and played on the legacy Armor insignia for the Armor branch and its subordinate units. While I lead the club I am by no means a dictator and in fact the name and logos were not my choice but a colabrative effort chosen by our group. I kind of guide and orgaize our group but let it run more as a democracy so to say.

The history of the IR battling as I have been told by a couple people that were there at the supposed beginning played out like this.... A person in the LA area went to Tamiya and reccomended that they develop a system similar to what the US Military uses at the National Training Center NTC, Fort Irwin. That system is known as MILES. Its a high tech lazer tag that integrates individual soldiers, vehicles, tanks and aircraft into a scaled proporitonal Infra Red lazer tag system that uses a "God Gun" to reset the sensors. Tamiya developed their IR battle system and quickly ended their early DMD T0-1 two channel ESC for the tracks alone (of which I bought the sherman in 1999) and developed it into a full blown system that operated the turret, gun elevation, and on some tanks a recoil, while creating a 3 class tank weight system, and a self diagnostic built in as well. The system proved completely awesome for the time period, albeit quite expensive as well, but a whole new hobby was born.

Small time electronics folks tried over time to disect the tamiya system and see what made it tick and developed various levels of quality of after market systems from a board and bits you solder together yourself and hope works to current aftermarket systems that use SD cards and text files to program your tank, or a TV remote pointed at the IR sensor to do the programming to the newest Henglong offered revolutionary 6.0 system that come standard in the tanks.

The hobby has so far been, buy a tamiya kit and build it and install their battle system and have fun. Then Henglong and WSN came around and the quality was quite low in the early years of Henglong, people used to joke if you open the box and a wheel doesnt fall out you have a lucky start, but HL continued to improve year by year with each new offering and then updating their earlier releases. Taigen and Mato came around as well each taking a different niche with different levels of metal in the tank chassis and hull and different qualities of mechanical standards (IMHO)
    All these brands came with toy radios and systems, and to be able to be used in an IR battle, one had to open the tank, gut it and throw away the stock electronics and then install a various after market Tank Control Board system and battle unit, or buy seperately one of Tamiya's systems from one of their tank kits. Some people set up several model tanks to move one tamiya TCB system around between a couple tanks just due to cost and availability. Now with all the aftermarket systems and current HL products Im sure no one uses one system between multiple tanks.
    Currently Taigen has its one proprietary IR battle system that does not play with any other brand. Mato offers empty tanks or one with an aftermarket board. Henglong tanks for a few years had IR available with an add on kit that sort of worked but now offer the 6.0 system that is fully compatible to battle with the tamiya tanks. However there are a few drawbacks still.

The tamiya based system became the standard since they invented the hobby. There are 3 weight classes of tanks based on the WWII era tanks. A light, medium, and heavy class of tank.
    Each class is selectable by switch settings on tamiya and some after market boards, others use the tv remote to program the "Weight class"
    The key to the weight class is this, each tank battles differently
    A light tank takes only 3 hits to knock it out, and its reload time, that is the time before you can fire another shot is 3 seconds.
    A Medium tank is 5 hits to knock out and 5 seconds reload time.
    A heavy is 9 and 9.
    With each hit, your tank slows down. The first hit takes something like 40 percent of your speed. That is a killer when you need to maneuver. Each subsequent hit slows you down more and more until the last one you can barely move and then the last hit makes a incoming round sound, a hit, and explosion sound and fire. Then the tank will restart its self after a few minutes.

The new Henglong 6.0 system now allows you to take a tank out of the box and come play in an IR battle, however the couple draw backs are you have one fixed setting, 6 hits to knock out, and the tank does not slow down with each hit. And if you really play with the tank and learn everything of how it works, you can cheat in the battle, which I wont reveal here.

We have two clubs in Southern California. The current standard is LA Tank, which meets at the American Military Equipment Museum aka Tank Museum in South El Monte on the first Sunday every month. They have a battlefield about the size of two tank parking spots to play in. They set up various obstacles and props and buildings to have a force on force battle in close quarters or MOUT style battle. The motto is run what you brought. The museum has for a long time sold Henglong tanks and converted them to IR by adding in a aftermarket conversion system so they sort of work with Tamiya, results vary... But we all just go with it because we are there for fun, and the lower quality conversions are usually kids or newbies that are just getting into the hobby and often the adults upgraded to better aftermarket systems in their tanks. They even allow kids that have henglong tanks that do not have IR systems to participate in the battles. Each kid with a non IR tank will "Ghost" with another IR tank. They become the IR tank wingman and when the IR tank dies, the "Ghost" tank dies. This is how we get everyone involved in the fun.
    Rules are loose but if a person is noticed cheating, which is often when their tank has been K'Oed and self restarted and they just jump back in battle, or they have an after market system that allows them to shave time off of reload or add more hit counts beyond the tamiya standard, we will first gang up on that person for fun and quitely single them out killing their tank right away first off every time, just to frustrate them. Then we will go talk to them and suggest they leave their tank dead after its K"Oed or maybe they should reprogram their profile on the tank. Its happed a few times but not often. Like I said we are all their for fun and while its competitive, its like profesional sports, in 10 minutes you could be switching teams when you swap from your panzer to your sherman and now the enemy are your wingmen.

At 619th Tank Battalion in San Diego I started us up as an extension for the SoCal area that wanted a little more serious intense fun out of the battles. I searched around for a large area field, and my first field was closed and became open space next to my old college. My second field was hard to find but became a perfect location. Its huge, a vast expanse of dirt, light ground cover and shrubs. I made lots of mock up buildings out of large cardboard boxes and I nail them to the ground with two 16 penny nails because I hate an obtsacle that moves when the tank bumps it. Some of the buildings have blown out sides so the tanks can hide inside and ambush.
    Our turn out in our club is smaller than LA Tank because of the driving distance invovled, and competition with LA tank. Every once in a while we get visited by about half of the Phoenix AZ club DAK. But I will say, while our turn out is lower in persons, it surpasses the LA Tank events in fun. We get the more serious tankers that drive good distances to come and battle on our large field and we play different format battles. We have timed battles, often rather than just attrition, we have capture the flag using home made IR sensor boxes with beacon lights and boom sounds, and we have points battles where some tanks are worth more than others, and planing and skill requires a different battle technique.

We started out running battles every month but that eventually wore us all out doing two battles a month between LA Tank and 619th San Diego so we dropped to every other month and we often get rained out once or twice during winter/spring. Last season was epic in that LA and San Diego were rained out every time from October to March. We were all itching to battle so bad.
    We also started running themed battles to make our events more interesting and cater to a theme since nobody has just one tank. Most of the hobby unitl about 2 or 3 years ago was all WWII tanks but modern tanks have been released recently. So we started out with a battle of the bulge theme one december and continued on with hosting all modern only tank battles. IDF Super shermans and russian armor have soared recently so we now have our "October War" Arab - Israeli themed event. Shermans, panzers and russian armor.
    Sticking with our motto run what you have, we dont stop anyone from running their Tiger 1 with our modern tanks. Sure they are at a disadvantage because we all have henglong and tamiya modern tanks upgraded to be fast moving, fast aquiring tanks but they can still run and have fun, were not going to exclude someone just because they dont own a tank for the theme of the day. And always we have one or two available to loan out for newcomers or even just passers by that walk up and say whats going on here?

I also devised a tank competition that was designed like a model boat regatta. (I also used to do rc warships) The "Tank Trials" I came up with was a timed obstacle course that had IR targets included for IR type tanks where they could earn points by hitting targets. The catagories were for IR and non IR so all tanks could compete. I make up trophies for the various levels and for the attendees to vote on their favorite tank in each catagory. Like favorite modern tank, favorite LAV or support, Favorite Cold war tank, Favorite Allied WWII, etc..... This event is still our most talked about and anticipated event. The trophies are a biggie to everybody even non winners. We have so much fun rooting for each other to do better and better and eveybody is hoping everybody wins. I really cannot recall a time I had more fun than these events and I was the poor worn out sucker that organized it and set it up and was one of the 3 judges for the course driving.

I should also add, that some clubs like back east have strict requirements. They are very strict on scale speed by testing your tank on a clock, checking the IR emitter depth, making sure you have either a barrel flash or a barrel recoil etc. Also they often require that a tank be operated at the class that the tamiya class guide dictates, which was mostly made by them. Running a heavy tank is tough, its much more fun to run as a medium and we allow that. We do frown if you want to take your sherman and run it as a heavy but we really arent going to stop you.
    Many in this hobby still hold a snobish attitude that if its not a tamiya brand tank its not worth spit but those days are gone yet sadly the snobs still turn their nose up a the rest of us that use the plentiful field of tanks that are avialable out there from various manufacturers.
    There is also a made up class called Invunerable frontal armor or IFA. These are the German Tank destroyers and the like that have sloped front armor and no turret, just a casemate with a gun, In theory shells would bounce off the front, making them invulerable, so we allow these models to have black tape on the front of their receiver so they cannot be shot from the front. Makes a battle really tough but fun game play.

Our San Diego field is near an aircraft field, the San Diego Electric Flyers on mission bay at South Shores park near the boat ramp.

I think I have covered the history of this hobby/ sport and how our clubs are organized and run. I may edit this to clarify or correct anything or add to, at later dates. Photos will be in follow up posts.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	club insignia 25%.jpg Views:	4 Size:	20.1 KB ID:	222925
    RC tank parts and accessories I make
    www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	24611929166_10fbd1d2e0_o.jpg
Views:	1207
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	222937Click image for larger version

Name:	24529756542_7413e467a9_o.jpg
Views:	1239
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	222939Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0278.JPG
Views:	1255
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	222941Click image for larger version

Name:	24529749722_4b7935429a_o.jpg
Views:	1202
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	222942Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP8312.JPG
Views:	1163
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	222943Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG3583.JPG
Views:	1203
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	222946Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP8337.JPG
Views:	1195
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	222949Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP8353.JPG
Views:	1245
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	222951Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG3601.JPG
Views:	1241
Size:	250.7 KB
ID:	222952Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG2568.JPG
Views:	1220
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	222953Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP8386.JPG
Views:	1187
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	222954Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG2194.JPG
Views:	1218
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	222955
    Attached Files

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	66302.jpeg
Views:	1200
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	222958Click image for larger version

Name:	66299.jpeg
Views:	1191
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	222959Click image for larger version

Name:	66298.jpeg
Views:	1184
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	222960Click image for larger version

Name:	66300.jpeg
Views:	1173
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	222961Click image for larger version

Name:	50205.jpeg
Views:	1160
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	222962Click image for larger version

Name:	50204.jpeg
Views:	1180
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	222963Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP7608.JPG
Views:	1184
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	222964Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP8014.JPG
Views:	1186
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	222965Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG4208.JPG
Views:	1228
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	222966Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP8458.JPG
Views:	1219
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	222967Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP7873.JPG
Views:	1213
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	222968Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP7871.JPG
Views:	1170
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	222969Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP8016.JPG
Views:	1198
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	222970Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP8457.JPG
Views:	1160
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	222971Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP7611.JPG
Views:	1258
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	222972Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG1446.JPG
Views:	1205
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	222973Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP8456.JPG
Views:	1162
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	222974Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP8455.JPG
Views:	1197
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	222975Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG1451.JPG
Views:	1186
Size:	226.7 KB
ID:	222976Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP7875.JPG
Views:	1185
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	222977

Comment

Excellent write up! Thank you for doing this. It is good to see the progression of the hobby and what has and hasn't worked but I really like the fact that you are open to the new tech, understanding it's limitations and yet inclusive to help promote the hobby. So much is learned through trial and error so newcomers get the opportunity to try it and grow. I also recognize that it hasn't just happened without the dedication and commitment of people like yourself who have a passion for it. Lots of work has gone into getting where you are today. It would be cool if something similar could happen here in Western North Carolina. Do you operate with a set of by-laws?

Comment

Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
          Excellent write up! Thank you for doing this. It is good to see the progression of the hobby and what has and hasn't worked but I really like the fact that you are open to the new tech, understanding it's limitations and yet inclusive to help promote the hobby. So much is learned through trial and error so newcomers get the opportunity to try it and grow. I also recognize that it hasn't just happened without the dedication and commitment of people like yourself who have a passion for it. Lots of work has gone into getting where you are today. It would be cool if something similar could happen here in Western North Carolina. Do you operate with a set of by-laws?
          There are no bi-laws per say for most of the clubs that I have seen or heard of. The closest to bi-laws would be the adherence to following the “Tamiya IR battle protocols” and any additional requirements a club has for “tank set up” to engage in play with them.

Comment

RichJohnson Thank you for your writeup, it is incredibly informative and captivates my imagination in many ways. Your attitude and approach to "run what you brought" is pivotal; many segments of the RC hobby struggle with engaging and retaining new enthusiasts, and I think an attitude of inclusion is the way to go. Your "ghost" method is a perfect example, thanks for being a thought leader in this regard!

I remember Tamiya's first forays into IR Battle. I later ran their King Tiger and Abrams Full Option but rarely found anyone to battle when I lived north of Los Angeles, so they mostly became hangar queens. Eventually I sold the KT, and the Abrams has been in storage since I moved to China.

We hope to bring a greater spotlight on the RC Tank hobby with products, parts, and knowledgeable service. Your post proves there are so many dedicated tankers out there who have already brought this hobby segment so far forward from what it was. We simply want to do our part. We love anything RC, and all military vehicles have always been a passion, it just so happens that we started with flying vehicles. But I think there's plenty of room and plenty of reasons why some of these interests overlap with other segments of the RC hobby, including the scale aspect, historical aspect, modeling aspect, and it's really fun!

​​With Heng Long's new TK6 IR system, I find they work well together but as you mentioned there remain lingering quirks when running them alongside Tamiya IR systems. Hopefully in time these can be worked out. The aftermarket CanShuo CSTK16 MFCB I'm testing now has selectable weight classes.

You mentioned east coast clubs and your west coast club. I am curious, is there a national organizing body that in some way links or serves or promotes or charters clubs? Or is it more of a regional, or even club by club, level of organization?

​​​​
            Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

RichJohnson Great right-up and primer for someone looking to explore this arm of the RC hobby. Do you know if gathering/events happen at indoor venues? It could be something those of us in cold country could enjoy during the winter months as well.

Comment

Good morning everybody. Im glad you all enjoy the look into the RC tank world. Clubs start on their own, locally where ever a couple people have tanks.
                The MAJOR factor hurting us has been the taigen, mato, and henglong tanks that until now did not play with tamiya. Lots of people have wanted to get involved and had I been able to tell them, 300 bucks you are ready to play, they would have. But I have to explain, buy a tamiya or..... another brand and gut it, and spend more money, more money etc, its a turn off for the first timer to get started. The 6.0 system will change all that, but hobby shops still are carrying the older tanks. The other day when I met that former 3AD retired tanker, the only 6.0 tank was the M41, the sherman, panzer and Challenger2 were all old white box tanks. Same at the local Hobby Town, they have the new 6.0 T90 sitting next to an old Abrams. They were even bummed they cannot battle the two together as demmos. Time will erase the older non 6.0 tanks from the supply chain but them being out there is not helping the club populace yet....

As for the club itself, its a constant battle to build and keep a club. There are two of us that do most of the work. I go to RC swapmeets and demmo battle the tanks to try and gain interest with people. Now not to put down the Airplane crowd, but most of the RC swap meets are planes, and some cars/ crawlers. Interest is shown a bit by the folks, but in 5 years of trying this, I have not had one person come out to one of our event battles. Im not sure why the airplane guys in general dont have a cross over interest but I have found that it just hasnt been there.
                I get more interest from the RC boat people. I have a WWII Landing craft, and LCM that someone else built and I bought off RCU a few years ago. I run that at the pond with my shermans and get alot of interest and then I talk about the tanks. I have had some of those guys come out to the tank battles and try a tank with us. So far though, none have come back beyond a first try. Its tough, and when the interest is there, I see the spark killed by the single initial cost to get into the hobby. Now we all know how much we spend on rc stuff, planes cars, boats etc. The boat guys are not cheap skates, neither are the plane or car guys. But there does have to be a genuine real interest there in a person before they drop a couple hundred bucks to start a new hobby. The 6.0 system is the best start to revolutionize our hobby by getting people in with their first tank soooo much cheaper.

As far as all of the clubs around, there are still not alot of them.
                There used to be one in SoCal called socal armor tankers that dissipated and became LA Tank. There was a San Diego area club years ago that was one guy loaning out tanks, he passed on. Bay Area Tankers in San Francisco split out of the Kellys Heros club, which sort of dissipated when Jaque Littlefield passed and his person tank museum closed and was sold. The held their meets there.
                Now, Phoenix has the DAK club, active all winter and on hiatus during the hot summers. They sometimes do indoor mall battles in the summertime.
                Colorado has two groups, the main one is FRAG, the Front Range Armor Group. They are in Southern Colorado, darn I can remember the town, which is embarassing for me because my primary hobby believe it or not is model trains from Colorado in the 1940s..... Any way they meet spring to fall, but they are in transition to a new outdoor battlefield..
                Texas Armor Association meets down south of Dallas. About a 2 hr drive in some small town at an old Amry Airfield museum.
                These clubs are all on facebook.
                On the east coast there is the Danville VA Tank museum. They have an indoor battlefield surrounded by real tanks. Two or three clubs loosely exist on the east coast that host battles at the Danville museum. The museum its self does not host battles. They have a inside store where they market tamiya, henglong and taigen tanks as well as all the parts for tamiya tanks that help us custom buildiers etc. These two or 3 clubs are the most visible on the internet. They have lots of youtube videos out there so they appear to be the mainstay of the hobby and many perceive them to be the leaders in the hobby.

However some of the snobbishness comes from these clubs. Now this is not to take a shot at these people individually but they are much more structured and require rules be followed and adhered too. They do some neat scenarios as well but they also run long battles and will manipulate game play, or at least they have in the past with negative feedback results. A few incidents from one of the clubs there was told to me in person by the people that it happened too. An adult and child were teamed up as wingmen and pushing an attack, cleaning up the field. One had the invulnerable frontal armor and the other did not. They were cleaning up, an official game observer used a lazer gun to shoot the two once or twice as an "Air Strike" to slow them down because they were too strong a team. Eventually in another scenario this same official just asked that the two stop for the rest of that scenario because they were killing everybody. This official did this to a child, one that lived there locally. How horrible. This has always weighed on me and I strive to get all involved and having fun even if they are cleaning up the field we are not going to manipulate the events to prevent embarrassment of our players. Fair is fair and we all come for fun. If someone doesnt have fun, they wont come back.
                These are the events that brought the attitude to SoCal run what you brought and why we tolerate the modified older tanks that barely work with tamiya, even the 6.0 system which works much better but still is not perfectly in line with the tamiya protocalls.

Comment

As a resident of So-Cal I will have to come and check out one of these tank meets.

Comment

Originally posted by RCGuy83 View Post
                    As a resident of So-Cal I will have to come and check out one of these tank meets.
                    We look forward to having you join in on the fun. Either myself or Rich will be posting battle dates as they come up so check back for them.

If I may ask where in SoCal do you live?

Comment

Hi Rich, thanks again for the great rundown on battle action operation, the SD club looks like they are having fun..! ...I believe that "run what you brung",... everybody have fun, and the new HL V6 tanks are a new chapter in RC tanks

Comment

Hey Rich, great thread. I've been flying next door to you (SEFSD) for many years, have seen your postings on our sign, but never made it over to you. Given some very burdensome restrictions on the flight hobby, I and some of my buddies are casting about for alternatives. Right now some of us are migrating to the model boat basin. But hey, one can never have enough toys, especially r/c ones. I used to own some of the early HL tanks, they all have been "surveyed" due to various failures, but I have a v6 HL tank enroute. I'll tag this thread, perhaps I'll see you down there.
                        Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Rich, let us know when you resume post-quarantine. I also fly at SEFSD, and am on the waiting list for a HL tank. I would come over and watch, or participate after I have a tank.

Comment

Originally posted by Gringotuerto View Post
                            Rich, let us know when you resume post-quarantine. I also fly at SEFSD, and am on the waiting list for a HL tank. I would come over and watch, or participate after I have a tank.
                            We always have quality loaner tanks for both the San Diego battles and LA battles for those that want to try their hand at the fun. Don’t let not having a tank stop you.

Either myself or Rich will post up the next battle day and it will be soon after the park is reopened. We have some fun themed battles planned for re-opening season.

Comment

Hi Rich, I am also a SEFSD flyer looking for alternatives as SoCalBob mentioned. Have acquired 2 HL v6 tanks and looking forward to the next battle day in San Diego.

Comment

Originally posted by scott5870 View Post
                                Hi Rich, I am also a SEFSD flyer looking for alternatives as SoCalBob mentioned. Have acquired 2 HL v6 tanks and looking forward to the next battle day in San Diego.
                                Myself, other members and Rich will be excited to have you stop by and join in on the fun.

Comment

If I had known there were German tanks so nearby our field, I would have dropped a few bombs on them from my P-47.

Comment

Working...
                                  X