Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which RC tank to choose?

Hey everyone,

I am thinking about getting one of the Henglong RC tanks, and I have narrowed it down to two choices- The Tiger 1 and the M4A3 (105). Both are supported well in the RC tank world and I figured they would be pretty easy for a start in 1/16 rc tanking. Is one overall better than the other, and I would like a pros/cons for both of them. I am also thinking about painting the Tiger or lengthening the barrel of the Sherman to make it look a little more like a 75mm. If I buy the Tiger, what is a good materiel to model Zimmerit anti-mine paste? Also, where is the Do's/Don'ts of RC tanking article?

Thanks so much!!!

Originally posted by KV2_driver_13 View Post
    Hey everyone,

I am thinking about getting one of the Henglong RC tanks, and I have narrowed it down to two choices- The Tiger 1 and the M4A3 (105). Both are supported well in the RC tank world and I figured they would be pretty easy for a start in 1/16 rc tanking. Is one overall better than the other, and I would like a pros/cons for both of them. I am also thinking about painting the Tiger or lengthening the barrel of the Sherman to make it look a little more like a 75mm. If I buy the Tiger, what is a good materiel to model Zimmerit anti-mine paste? Also, where is the Do's/Don'ts of RC tanking article?

Thanks so much!!!
    Either one. Both are reasonably good starter tanks. It comes down to which one you like the looks of more.
    As far as “do and don’ts” there are really none. Just have fun, thinking outside the box or inside the box are both correct. I tend to think outside the box with my tanks as this opens up more options and ideas in the build and running phases.

Comment

I'm having a hard time choosing from the tanks on Motion's website also.
      I will most likely go with a WWII tank but the Walker Bulldog is attractive too since I had a Remco one when I was four years old. LOL Good memories.
      Steve

Comment

Thanks! Is there anything I can do to the Tiger 1 to make it look less blue?

Comment

Originally posted by KV2_driver_13 View Post
          Thanks! Is there anything I can do to the Tiger 1 to make it look less blue?
          Not to be sarcastic, but you can repaint it to your liking. I repaint everyone of my HL tanks. You could also add some dark weathering chalks and these will take a lot of the “blue” look out.

Comment

Yea, I didn't really want to paint it fully, so thanx for the tip!

Comment

Hi guys
              i have a sherman and abrams but the sherman was the first one is a good tank i feel the maintenance might be lower for a first tank. Unfortunately mine has plastic gears but the new one has metal gear
              also perhaps spend a bit more get the one with metal tracks as that can add to the cost when you get the upgrade bug later.

two tanks

Comment

There's no bad choice. All the HL tanks are really cool and are basically the same workings except for the metal gear and tread upgrades.

My only difference I've seen is the Sherman tank outshoots my other 2 tanks by 50 yards! I've talked to others who noticed the Sherman shoots pretty far. I have angled mine upward a bit on my mulch bed and shot BB's into the tree line that I paced 65 yards away!

Comment

My Sherman and Panzer IV F2 both shoot very far, too! I suspect this has to do with a few factors, including the barrel length. This is important because the piston diameter and stroke length is the same for all the HL tanks, but obviously barrel length influences the propulsive force that is generated and then sustained. Too long of a barrel with too short of a piston can result in backpressure which will actually slow an exiting BB and reduce range. I think the Sherman Panzer IV, and KV1 have good range in part because of these factors.
                  Another factor is the bore diameter. On tanks like my HL Leopard 2A6, the bore is almost 8mm for a 6mm BB, so velocity and accuracy will always be limited due to efficiency losses. It is clear to me that HL doesn't want these to be high power projectiles, which I think is a good decision on their part from a safety standpoint.

​​​​​

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200119_073559.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	233410

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

I knew it! I knew there was something special with the Sherman! My Tiger barely can shoot 30 feet, yet the Sherman hits 65 yards! And it packs a punch too! I use high quality seamless 6mm BB's.

I also thought it was due to the shorter barrel...less resistance.

I love the HL tanks! They are awesome! I had 3, but sold one to a friend for his kid...I was running out of room. If I had the room, Id have one of every one they made.

Now have to make room for the excavator when you get it in....and the dump truck...lol

Comment

Working...
                    X