X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tanks in LaPine OR

I enjoy running my RC tank around my garden railroad, and it's fun for me to create a mission scenario...it is an HL tank I purchased long ago, and updated along the way with a Tamiya laser system, and some mild weathering...I can hardly wait for Motion RC to release their new batch of tanks!

Tell me about the tamiya laser kit you put in your hl tank.

Comment

Originally posted by Two tanks View Post
      Tell me about the tamiya laser kit you put in your hl tank.
      It is most likely a Tamiya Battle System (TBS). They can be found on Ebay for about $100. The problem is it does not work with stock HL control systems (MFUs) so most folks will either replace the HL MFU with a full Tamiya DMD/MFU or other compatible aftermarket control systems like Clark or IBU. I replaced four of my HL systems with Tamiya DMD/MFUs and installed the TBS.

HL tanks with Tamiya, Clark or IBU control systems tend to be quite excellent IR battle performers.

Comment

Question the new tkl 6.0 actually has a spot for it on the board due to the fact the 2020 abrahams m1a2 has a laser in the tank were your boards an older board ?and my m1a2 was bought just before christmas. Just curious to see what boards yours were
        thank you
        two tanks
        interested to here

Comment

Originally posted by Two tanks View Post
          Question the new tkl 6.0 actually has a spot for it on the board due to the fact the 2020 abrahams m1a2 has a laser in the tank were your boards an older board ?and my m1a2 was bought just before christmas. Just curious to see what boards yours were
          thank you
          two tanks
          interested to here
          Combined I have owned a total of 15 HL tanks with 5.2, 5.3 and 6.0 systems. The 6.0 has ports for the HENG LONG IR battle system NOT the Tamiya Battle System. They are two VERY different animals. The two systems can fight against each other, but there are a number of limitations on the Heng Long side.

To run a TBS you need to replace the entire HL 6.0 control system.

Comment

Thanks for your replies and interests...yes I have an old HL tank and enjoy it very much, I updated with the Tamiya laser system and the electronics with the help of Phil Flugger from Tanks Wars (?)...I put in a new board and sound system, picked-up some metal tracks, all new gear box and motors, and used a Spektrum radio to run it, but am eagerly waiting for the new tanks!...should you find yourself in Central Oregon in the summer, or SW AZ in the winter, I enjoy running them around...i'm currently in General Patton's Tank Training grounds visiting his camp sites from WW2, and have luckily found 50-cal rounds and ammo belts still out on the ground all these years later!

Comment

Recently I also added an FPV camera, and use some goggles (and a separate monitor on the side)...this makes for some fun viewing, and I would imagine some interesting laser battles....I like to "Tank walk" my rig around the railroad, and I use the plastic tracks so I don't short out the R/R power supply when the tank crosses over the R/R's tracks, I really enjoy weathering up the tank, and recently added a supply trailer I pull around...since my tank is over 8-years old, some new equipment will be welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by fastphil View Post
                Recently I also added an FPV camera, and use some goggles (and a separate monitor on the side)...this makes for some fun viewing, and I would imagine some interesting laser battles....I like to "Tank walk" my rig around the railroad, and I use the plastic tracks so I don't short out the R/R power supply when the tank crosses over the R/R's tracks, I really enjoy weathering up the tank, and recently added a supply trailer I pull around...since my tank is over 8-years old, some new equipment will be welcome!
                Hi Phil,

Looks like your Railroad is "G" scale. (like mine)

I was in hopes of setting up a rail head for my "battle field" in the future but these 1/16 tanks are a wee bit big for regular garden trains. It looks like the only 1/16 trains are "one off" builds unless I'm missing something. (I'm fairly new to the world of modeling)

Have you considered working on a "to scale" railroad?

Comment

Hi Pynaegan, yes I have a "G" garden railroad, and use 1/20 narrow gauge engines, and they are pretty big, but I am not a rivet counter and when i put a tank commander in the engine cab for comparrison, it looked ok to me...I am mostly running the tank around the layout, using the farmhouses, natural terrain, fence and tree lines, and even the tunnel for fun...running the trains at the same time adds to the fluidity of the mission... i'm planning on using some new tanks for "targets" and go after them..!

LPM&L GRR gets a new 3 truck shay for heavy timber hauling

Comment

fastphil Hey Phil, would you please create a new thread that covers just trains? I'd like to see and learn more about your setups! I've not seen a G scale setup like yours before. 'Seems a nice scale for tanks to roam, too - - perhaps a carrier or a Gustav rail gun?
                    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Hi Alpha, Thanks, yes I would like that, and will get it going..!

Comment

Working...
                      X