Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy here with "noob questions".

Howdy!

For years now (off and on) I had fantasized about playing "laser tag" with model tanks but it wasn't until recently that I actually got "serious" with the idea and discovered that there was a community of just such people! So for the past couple of weeks I've been cruising websites and shadowing this forum trying to figure out what I want to start with and how to go about it.

I have minimal experience with RC modeling. Nothing more than "out of the box" cars.

Some of questions I have... that some answers have currently evaded me are:

1. What is the range of the infrared beam and how accurate is it?

2. Are some IR systems better than others?

From what I have seen, (glossing over this forum) you can have barrel recoil or BB shooting abilities but not "both". So question three is:

3. Is there a barrel recoil system that allows for the launching of simulated projectiles of ultimate destruction? (Does it wiggle and shoot bb's at the same time?)

I'm currently in the market for my first tank and intend to purchase a second (cheaper) 😆 one to serve as a present for my uncle in an effort to get him interested in the hobby. (Him being retired Army I have NO DOUBT that he'll be on board)

For my first purchase I'm considering this one on the bay of "E".

This seller claims the tank has both barrel recoil AND fires BB's so question four is:

4. Is this tank all it's cracked up to be?

Thanks (in advance) to all for your attention!

Originally posted by Pynaegan View Post
    Howdy!

For years now (off and on) I had fantasized about playing "laser tag" with model tanks but it wasn't until recently that I actually got "serious" with the idea and discovered that there was a community of just such people! So for the past couple of weeks I've been cruising websites and shadowing this forum trying to figure out what I want to start with and how to go about it.

I have minimal experience with RC modeling. Nothing more than "out of the box" cars.

Some of questions I have... that some answers have currently evaded me are:

1. What is the range of the infrared beam and how accurate is it?

2. Are some IR systems better than others?

From what I have seen, (glossing over this forum) you can have barrel recoil or BB shooting abilities but not "both". So question three is:

3. Is there a barrel recoil system that allows for the launching of simulated projectiles of ultimate destruction? (Does it wiggle and shoot bb's at the same time?)

I'm currently in the market for my first tank and intend to purchase a second (cheaper) 😆 one to serve as a present for my uncle in an effort to get him interested in the hobby. (Him being retired Army I have NO DOUBT that he'll be on board)

For my first purchase I'm considering this one on the bay of "E".

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Stock-2-....c100012.m1985

This seller claims the tank has both barrel recoil AND fires BB's so question four is:

4. Is this tank all it's cracked up to be?

Thanks (in advance) to all for your attention!
    Here are the short and to the point answers

1. The beam can shoot and hit targets up to 150ft away IF the lighting is not to bright, or IF the target has a high quality IR receiver. That said the average range in outdoor indirect lighting is ~30-50 feet.
    2. Yes the Tamiya IR systems are the gold standard. The stock 6.0 Heng Long IR systems are basic entry level and can have spotty performance.
    3. No not really. Tigers are ok lots and lots and lots and lots of folks have them.
    4. Yes and No. All tanks have their +&- aspects. Overall it is a beginner tank and still needs a number of upgrades to be really good.

Comment

Pynaegan Welcome!

All of the Heng Long tanks that Motion RC is bringing in next month have the TK6 MFCB, which means, among other advantages, that *ALL* of them fire *BOTH* 6mm Airsoft BBs *AND* Infrared signals. These are both stock, out-of-the-box features. An IR receiver ("apple") is also included in every box, as shown in my reviews you've been reading here on Squawk.

Rubicon99 has posted an in depth comparison of Heng Long's IRB system and its quasi-compatibility with Tamiya's own proprietary IRB system. Give it a look and let us know if we can help answer any other questions.

Regarding perfection out of the box, nothing is perfect so I always recommend going with a seller who stocks spare parts and can capably answer any questions you might have. Be absolutely certain that you're getting the TK6 series (TK6.0, TK6.0S, or TK6.1). We've already heard stories from people buying elsewhere online or in hobby shops that were inadvertently advertised as TK6 when they were in fact the older TK5.3. In my opinion, those are obsolete for several reasons.

As far as fun factor, I can say that yes they're very fun and best in pairs or more. You and your uncle should have a blast!

Beware that, as with many categories in RC, the RC Tank rabbit hole is deep and many souls have been lost in it, never to be found again by their wives.
      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Pynaegan View Post
        Howdy!
        PAG, Welcome to "The Squawk". I, too, would be a 'noob' with RC Tanks. You are asking all the right questions as I would not know what to ask. Best, LB
        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Alpha,
          Do any of the Pro version tanks that Motion will be stocking have the "barrel recoil" feature?
          Steve

Comment

The tanks that have the TK 6.1 or 6.1S boards have barrel recoil, there are several but off the top of my head the KingTiger, and Tiger 1 . There is a thread in here somewhere that has which tanks have what board.

Comment

Sureshot Vaseline Here is a link to the thread where I answered that question:

I may be known on this forum as an "RC Airplane" guy, but I prefer to think of myself as an "RC Everything" guy. It shouldn't be any surprise that I yearn for an RC dirigible as much as I want an RC Horten, RC Centurion, or RC Gato. Now that we've revealed our expansion into the Tank segment of this RC

​​​​​​​
              Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Thankyou good folks for the answers and warm welcome!😃

It looks like I still have a little bit of research to do before I settle on my first purchase.

Also, it would appear as though my brother has also gotten "bitten by the bug".😆

I see no point in starting with anything less than the "professional" grade tank as I know I wouldn't be happy with plastic wheels, gears and tracks. I'll probably have a better grasp on what I want after tearing up my first model.🙄

Come OOOOOooooon Pay DAY! 🤩

(I'm working my toys into the "entertainment budget")

Comment

Working...
                X