X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• !/10 scale Military vehicles

OK I'm a 1/10 scale guy, I really enjoy the scale. I started with it many years ago and it stuck. Sure I have a big stake in 1/16 scale but 1/10 is where I live.

I won't go into what I have or have done, you can see it on my website (http://tanks.linite.com) however I'm curious who else, if anyone is either interested or active in the scale.

When I'm able I'll upload a photo or two...

Jerry

I too really enjoy the 1/10 scale. For me, it's probably more because I like 1's an 0's. Not just for Armor, but for crawlers and airplanes, too.

In my mind, for RC tanks, 1/16 scale is the "Collect-Them-All" scale, because they're inexpensive, each to transport, easy to service, modify, paint, and customize. That's why I own about 20! Coming up from static armor scales like 1/35, 1/16 is considered gargantuan because they fill an entire row on the Ikea bookcase. 10-12lbs each really adds up...

But 1/10 scale has its highlights as well, for me foremost being ground stance. Heavier tanks sit on the ground and plod through terrain more realistically. I like a lumbering, creaky tank.

Here's a comparison between a 1/16 M4A3, which is already a good size/price balance and perfect for everyday RC for any age group, with a 1/10 M4A3 (E8 if we're being technical), which can literally tow a kid. The tradeoff is the bigger bird is ~8x the cost of the smaller one.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Scale jump.jpg Views:	0 Size:	204.5 KB ID:	235035Click image for larger version  Name:	1-10 M4 tractor - Copy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.2 KB ID:	235036

The challenges with larger scales in tanks are common challenges to other RC categories. Larger size = higher price = smaller selection = smaller total market. But I remain hopeful that there are enough of us 1/10 scalers out there to sustain an engaged market that both widens the variety of subject matter while increasing durability/serviceability and still somehow reduces the average sticker price. To date, there aren't enough products on the market that are worth investing in, certainly not to the extent of 1/16 RC Tanks (~30 RTR tank models with several like the Tiger I and M4A3 being duplicated across a few manufacturers). So we've all got some work to do.

Personally, probably the most potent motivation to create something like a 1/10 scale T-72 is to face a dozen of them against our Freewing 1/10 scale A-10 Warthog.

Jerry, you've been in 1/10 scale for so long, what do you see as the main attractions, and the main downsides, that someone new to the scale should consider?

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
      Jerry, you've been in 1/10 scale for so long, what do you see as the main attractions, and the main downsides, that someone new to the scale should consider?
      Defining attraction isn't as straightforward as one might think! As it is with all things (and people!) we are drawn to it's multi faceted.

I've always had a fascination with track laying vehicles, there's something at the lowest emotional levels, predatory, reptilian, powerful. My interest in track
      laying machines began with a childhood interest in heavy construction equipment- I could watch them for hours as a kid and often did.

The draw for me in 1/10 scale armor is as you said. A 1/10 scale tank has pretty good performance 'in the field' due to weight and size yet it's mostly manageable; you can fit one or two into most cars. I cut my teeth on the relatively highly engineered models of Maier and Seiki; these were glow powered models with complex transmission/ engine / cooling systems that appealed to me. They aren't for everyone despite my enthusiasm for these type. However, the scale is, apart from the mechanics (again as you said ) a great sized canvas for detail. Interior space is normally not a problem for 1/10 scale

It's a small thing especially in this age of CAD and 3D printing but the near instant ability to covert a measurement to 1/10 scale was always handy. Also if one includes 1/10 scale soft skin vehicles into the discussion there are quite a few mechanical parts for 1/10 scale truggies, buggies and others that can find use to build out other vehicles.

The downside to 1/10 scale has always been availability and cost. Also many of the earlier generation of 1/10 scale model were glow powered and to many that is hugely off putting.
      Oddly that was one of the real draws for me and to a degree still is. Some include the lack of figurines in the list of detracting aspects, I'm not among them but I can see how that could affect a decision. Some will say that there are no volume producers of 1/10 scale model armor. This is true but isn't that also true of 1/6 scale?

I don't know how people see 1/10 scale armor. As you said I've lived with it for so long to me it's perfect. I'm clearly biased. Any ability or capability I have is geared towards 1/10 scale armor. I can't say it's for everyone but neither is any scale. Many folks buy just what's available or what industry supports. When I began 1/6 scale armor was unheard of.
      All it took was the proliferation of military dolls to cause demand for like scale military vehicles; I recall in the early Dragon days there were static plastic tanks sold as a backdrop.
      Could the same happen for 1/10 scale? who can say? Hooben's 1/10 scale line is still new and evolving; I hope they make the right choices going forward; the first is to listen and
      be responsive to their customer base. I think if they, or someone else does it right they could start something. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I doubt this is much help but I'd open it up to comments, opinions and other musings...I always have too many thoughts at once and they're likely to get stuck somewhere between
      mind and keyboard...

Jerry

Comment

The perfect scale for thin skins, halftracks & such, especially given the crossover appeal from the huge 1/10 crawler & buggy segment. Regarding tanks, am open to anything other than the usual 1/16 assortment available but given the cost & heft of these larger models would prefer to see more attention paid to light & medium tanks that haven't even addressed, especially those can be used as a base to variants to follow, Pz II, Marder II or Wespe for an example; certainly a Soviet BT-7 would be fun, too, given the turret options & ability to run sans track.

I recently picked up Hooben's new Hetzer that I'm detailing & modifying to make it less the toy that it is. I find its the perfect size to fit in with my collection & not the least troublesome to haul around. I'll post a thread later once I can get the parts in that are on order but delayed due to CNY & coronavirus outbreak. Am certainly itching to get on with it.

Comment

Originally posted by herrmill View Post
          The perfect scale for thin skins, halftracks & such, especially given the crossover appeal from the huge 1/10 crawler & buggy segment. Regarding tanks, am open to anything other than the usual 1/16 assortment available but given the cost & heft of these larger models would prefer to see more attention paid to light & medium tanks that haven't even addressed, especially those can be used as a base to variants to follow, Pz II, Marder II or Wespe for an example; certainly a Soviet BT-7 would be fun given, too.

I recently picked up Hooben's new Hetzer that I'm detailing & modifying to make it less the toy that it is. I find its the perfect size to fit in with my collection & not the least troublesome to haul around. I'll post a thread later once I can get the parts in that are on order but delayed due to CNY & coronavirus outbreak. Am certainly itching to get on with it.
          I agree with you Chuck, the vehicles that have received less attention would be great. I'd love to see a 1/10 M24 Chaffee a vehicle I've wanted for quite a while. Small, torsion bar suspension and used from WWII
          into the late 1980s by at least one country. As you said Pz II and variants, Pz I not so small in 1/10. But Japanese and other axis tanks... something really different would be so cool...A French Char B... British Cromwell....

And half tracks!! US, German they're all out there just waiting to be rendered in 1/10!!

Jerry

Comment

Sign me up Jerry! I'll take all you've mentioned & more. As soon as someone serious states they plan to release anything with a Kd.Sfz. prefix you'll see my money.

Comment

Originally posted by herrmill View Post
              Sign me up Jerry! I'll take all you've mentioned & more. As soon as someone serious states they plan to release anything with a Kd.Sfz. prefix you'll see my money.
              Then there's my Holy Grail of tanks to have in 1/10 scale..... the Italian Semovente da 75/18. I don't know why but I just want one. In fact I want it so bad I plan after the two projects on my board
              are complete enough I will push the Semovente to the top of the queue. If someone offered one I'd by two, at least!

Comment

Its been posted elsewhere last week so figured why not here. Understand some more interesting subjects to follow after this one leaves the barn.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_52018.jpg Views:	3 Size:	96.9 KB ID:	240514

Comment

Working...
                X