X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batteries ...and availability.

It's AMAZING how one minute you know what you want or what you're looking for😎 ….right up until the moment you get to the store and the guy behind the counter starts asking you questions you don't know the answer to.😳

Bear in mind that I am completely new to the "hobby world" and don't know what I'm doing in the first place.πŸ€“

So recently I received the Heng Long Tiger 1 with metal from the transmission to the tracks. Along with it comes the Super Li-ion Battery model: HL 18650-2S with the spec 7.4 volts 1800mAh

With this battery I get about ten to fifteen minutes of "YIPPIEEEEEeeeeee time"πŸ˜†πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜‹ and then the tank shuts down and I plug in the battery for about ...two....long....long...long,LONG hours.πŸ˜’

Well, I'm usually fairly patient and now that I know this "tank laser tag thing" it going to be fun and worth the financial commitment, I make my way to the seller on eBay who did provideth unto me the tank of my choosing to ask of him "What's the best options for my tank?"

By way of reply he sent me this link.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-16-Scale-Henglong-Electronic-Parts-7000MAH-Lipo-Battery-Model-Tank-Upgraded-/223724228198

Now, I DID consider clicking on "buy now" and be done with it HOWEVER in a (somewhat) unrelated order dealing with yet another company, (banggood.com) I placed an order for some merchandise about a month ago which has as of yet to come in.
    😞

I'm suspecting the method of transportation upon which they are being ferried has been detained for...what ever reason.

SO, I decided an attempt to source a new battery "locally".

When it comes to electronics, "Fry's" is the first place I go to when I want to be told "No."
    πŸ˜’

Fortunately, "Hobby Town" is right across the street from Fry's.😏

Hobby Town had lots of batteries and the numbers seemed to match up however they were Ni cad and I wasn't sure if they were safe for my tank and I wasn't going to risk putting the wrong battery in my tank and burning something up. The guy working in the store seemed to have trouble looking up information on my tank.πŸ˜•

I faired no better at the "A+ battery" store.

So I guess in short:

"What batteries can my tank use and what should I be sure to stay away from?"

My instruction book seems somewhat vague on the topic.😠

My tanks are a bit older that take Tamiya connectors and 6 cell Nimh 7.2v batteries.

I switched to 7.4v Lipos and got adapters.

You should invest in a decent charger which will charge your lipo at 1C within 35 minutes. Charge your lipo until it reaches 4.2v/cell and stop your tank when the lipo gets down to 3.8v/cell which is optimal storage charge.

Never keep your lipo in the tank, always store at 3.8v/cell.

Get a lipo checker which will tell you your cell voltage when you plug in your balance lead.

I run Floureon 2s 5200 in mine and it will run for 45 minutes easy....

If you look at Amazon and search "2s hard case lipo", you'll see some deals that are two for $30.

They also sell dual chargers, which can charge 2 lipos at the same time for like $80.

It's important to measure your tank's battery bay and research the lipo size specs...make sure they fit! Many different brands of the same Mah will be shaped differently...some might be longer but thinner..

Comment

Go with NiMH batteries ( been around for decades in the R/C ground world). Do not buy NiCa batteries they have longevity issues. I believe your tank uses the standard battery box designed around the 6 cell sub C size R/C battery. This size is easy and cheap to find on Amazon. Just search 7.2 volt NiMH R/C car&truck batteries. Make sure you get one with at least a 3000 mah of storage capacity and a rapid charger that can charge NiHM batteries (again easy to find).

NiMH batteries are far more forgiving and safer then Lipos for someone just starting out in ground R/C so wait on those until you have more experience. Even with my extensive experience I shy away from Lipos in tanks.

Comment

Not bad advice rubicon...I just found that my Nimh batteries were undependable as far as running time. If they sat for a month or two, they needed cycling before getting a good running time. I'd charge my Nimh for an hour and then find it had no charge until it was cycled a few times to "wake" it back up. I got tired of wasting a whole day just to run a vehicle.

I know when I charge a lipo, it's at full charge in 35 minutes, even if it has sat for 2 years.

I am still running some lipos I have had for 10 years.

You just have to respect them and stay within the rules of use. I'd never run a lipo to LVC. LVC is usually 3.3v/cell which is now a trashed lipo. Even the Admirals come with a caution to not use again if they go below 3.7v/cell.

Comment

Originally posted by Too Many Hobbies View Post
          Not bad advice rubicon...I just found that my Nimh batteries were undependable as far as running time. If they sat for a month or two, they needed cycling before getting a good running time. I'd charge my Nimh for an hour and then find it had no charge until it was cycled a few times to "wake" it back up. I got tired of wasting a whole day just to run a vehicle.

I know when I charge a lipo, it's at full charge in 35 minutes, even if it has sat for 2 years.

I am still running some lipos I have had for 10 years.

You just have to respect them and stay within the rules of use. I'd never run a lipo to LVC. LVC is usually 3.3v/cell which is now a trashed lipo. Even the Admirals come with a caution to not use again if they go below 3.7v/cell.
          The OP does not sound like he has the background knowledge to go straight to Lipos. The safer easier option while he learns is what I was attempting to point out. I don’t use nor do many I know in the R/C tank world use Lipos much in our tanks. Heavy tanks when run hard with larger motors and lack of free flowing ventilation tend to get rather hot inside after 30-45 minutes of continuous use. This plus the higher vibrations tanks experience vs other more popular ground r/c hobbies is not a good recipe for Lipos.

It’s a personal choice, Lipos have their place and I use them in other r/c fun, just not tanks.

Comment

WOW, I had no idea that the batteries were going to be this complicated!
            (Looks like I have some research ahead of me)πŸ˜†

Time to learn all the battery lingo and as well as a bunch of "do's and don'ts"!

It's all good though, nothing worth while ever came easy!

Thanks for the advise, it's deeply appreciated!

Are the Tamiya battery connectors compatible/the same as Heng Long?

Comment

Originally posted by Pynaegan View Post
              WOW, I had no idea that the batteries were going to be this complicated!
              (Looks like I have some research ahead of me)πŸ˜†

Time to learn all the battery lingo and as well as a bunch of "do's and don'ts"!

It's all good though, nothing worth while ever came easy!

Thanks for the advise, it's deeply appreciated!

Are the Tamiya battery connectors compatible/the same as Heng Long?
              Yes stock Heng Long connector are compatible with Tamiya.

Comment

Yes: Tamiya is a type of connector, not exclusive to any one brand of RC truck. Don't confuse with Mini Tamiya connector, which is different.

Rubicon, I'll agree that beginners with limited knowledge might be safer with NimH, but lipos are safe if you follow basic rules.

Also, I do disagree about a tank being a strain on a lipo. I fly RC EDF jets that suck down a lipo in 3 minutes! THAT is being hard on a lipo...lol! .... and only a very good high C rated lipo can stand up to the strain of the amp draw. If you are running a tank for 45 minutes that means the draw on the lipo is so small, nothing gets hot.

For comparison, I had to retire some 4s 4000 Admirals...My planes were hitting LVC too soon as these lipos had too much IR. I put them on a pair of 12v light bulbs to drain them for disposal....They were drained to dead in 10 minutes from a storage charge! These tanks have less draw than a 12v bulb, if you can run them 45 minutes at a time.

These tanks also run slow, and hardly have any rough vibration to damage a lipo. The lipo bay is also self contained and not close to any heat from the motors. I also recommended hard case lipos which can withstand much more abuse than standard. An RC truck that is being bashed and jumped takes on much more vibration and shock than a tank slowly lumbering around....and BL trucks exclusively use lipos.

But getting back to your original point..I agree with you 100%...if the OP is overwhelmed with learning, stick with a good 3000mah NiMh and just get a good charger made for those batteries. Just use them often and if they don't run too long, cycle them a few times to get them back in shape.

It's easier to run the tank until it stops running with a NiMh.

Comment

Working...
                X