Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading Heng Long 5.3 tank to 6.0S

Hi all,

I just go a Heng Long Abrams tank, but it is the 5.3 version.
    How easy is it to upgrade it to the 6.0S?
    Is it a matter of getting a 6.0S board and just plugin in the wires in the appropriate ports? or is it more complex than that?

many thanks
    Juan

@juancasanueva@gmail.com

Welcome to Hobby Squawk! Where did you buy that old TK5.3 version?

To answer your question, the new TK6 version we're selling uses an entirely new equipment compared the old TK5.3. You'll need a TK6 radio, a TK6 wire harness with all the wires (including Airsoft and IR Battle system), and a TK6 IR apple, and in some cases a new speaker. The motor wires' connectors are also different. The new TK6 motors have bullet connectors to connect to the matching connector on the new TK6 MFCB.

We will be stocking complete TK6 Upgrade kits for people wanting to update their old tanks to the new system, but it's going to be a while before they arrive.

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Hi Alpha,

I got the 5.3 version from ebay.

Many thanks for the explanation. I will have to get one of those TK6 upgrade kits when in stock :)

I'm also waiting for the Heng Long tanks to arrive to the motionrc.eu site to get me a couple of them (I'm in Madrid, Spain).
      have you got an eta on when the tanks will be available in Europe?

regards
      Juan

Comment

Originally posted by juancasanueva@gmail.com View Post
        Hi Alpha,

I got the 5.3 version from ebay.

Many thanks for the explanation. I will have to get one of those TK6 upgrade kits when in stock :)

I'm also waiting for the Heng Long tanks to arrive to the motionrc.eu site to get me a couple of them (I'm in Madrid, Spain).
        have you got an eta on when the tanks will be available in Europe?

regards
        Juan
        They should be available early/mid next week! Thanks, Juan!
        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

I'll need three of these setups. I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron so it won't be too difficult i'm sure.

Comment

FedEx lost it, then found it. King Tiger has taken his rightful throne. That tank is impressive. Granted, itt needs a good weathering, and I need to learn the controls, but I am well pleased with it.

Comment

Where can I purchase upgrade kit for Heng Long 5.3-6.0?

Comment

Originally posted by topgun1 View Post
                Where can I purchase upgrade kit for Heng Long 5.3-6.0?
                There are a fair number listed on EBay, 6.0s, 6.1 and 6.1s systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

There are a fair number listed on EBay, 6.0s, 6.1 and 6.1s systems.
                  The ebay listings are not quite clear on EXACTLY what is needed to do the upgrade, and contacting the sellers always hits a "language barrier" with their answers, and waiting for stuff to come from China takes forever !! Can we get on waiting list for a COMPLETE upgrade kit from Motion ?

Comment

Originally posted by Cascabel View Post

The ebay listings are not quite clear on EXACTLY what is needed to do the upgrade, and contacting the sellers always hits a "language barrier" with their answers, and waiting for stuff to come from China takes forever !! Can we get on waiting list for a COMPLETE upgrade kit from Motion ?
                    I will be upgrading a Henglong Pershing with the 5.3 system to v6.0S. I am pretty sure it only needs the motor and battery connectors changed out and the smoker unit needs to be replaced with the 6.0 compatible version. I will document the process and report back here. The tank should be here this week.

Comment

Originally posted by karltrek View Post

I will be upgrading a Henglong Pershing with the 5.3 system to v6.0S. I am pretty sure it only needs the motor and battery connectors changed out and the smoker unit needs to be replaced with the 6.0 compatible version. I will document the process and report back here. The tank should be here this week.
                      I'm working on this now as well. You will also delete the daughter board under the upper hull. Rewire the elevation, bb unit direct to the MFU....Also the hull machine gun, headlights, taillights, rotation.......rewire the smoker to separate the heater from the blower/pump.

Comment

I managed to get a full 6.1S wires + infrared setup from toucanhobby on ebay by just asking them for it. They made a special listing that cost a little more (to cover the wires and infrared receiver + LED), and I used that. It's worked great for me, though I'm still figuring some of the wiring out. The 360 turret upgrade I bought has some wires that share a common ground, and I think it's the IR receiver + LED but I'm not certain. The wires for these that go to the board, as provided, are still JST when you need the more low-profile "flat" plugs that are used for things like the LEDs. Just haven't got around to buying new plugs or crimps on ebay, yet.

Comment

I upgraded my 3 HG tanks from 5.3 to 6.0s and they Run Excellent with Better control. I have a 1/6 M5 Stuart Ultimate Soldier Tank which run good but I like to upgrade to HG TK-6.1s board which and Handle up to 12.4 vdc. I emailed Toucan about difference between 6.1 and 6.1s and the 6.1s handles Higher Amp Motors. As I guess as most of you know there not too much info from HG about their boards. I had to piece little info from here and there to get my 6.0s upgrrade working. Radio is the same for 6.0s and 6.1s

Johnny
                          Last edited by TankMon; Jul 19, 2020, 10:12 AM. Reason: update

Comment

Originally posted by TankMon View Post
                            I upgraded my 3 HG tanks from 5.3 to 6.0s and they Run Excellent with Better control. I have a 1/6 M5 Stuart Ultimate Soldier Tank which run good but I like to upgrade to HG TK-6.1s board which and Handle up to 12.4 vdc. I emailed Toucan about difference between 6.1 and 6.1s and the 6.1s handles Higher Amp Motors. As I guess as most of you know there not too much info from HG about their boards. I had to piece little info from here and there to get my 6.0s upgrrade working. Radio is the same for 6.0s and 6.1s

Johnny
                            Hello TankMon and welcome to hobby squawk. Unfortunately I can't answer your question but I wanted to welcome you here and I am sure our growing Tank community will be able to help you out

Comment

BCuriousR, Karltrek; I'm extremely interested in your 5.3 to 6.0 upgrades. Will you be starting a new thread or using this one? I ask because my favorite HL Tank is the Sturmgeschutz III, that I gave away to a young boy many years ago. Always wanted another one. Does anyone know what edition the ones on eBay are? 5.3, maybe? 2.4g at least?
                              Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
                                BCuriousR, Karltrek; I'm extremely interested in your 5.3 to 6.0 upgrades. Will you be starting a new thread or using this one? I ask because my favorite HL Tank is the Sturmgeschutz III, that I gave away to a young boy many years ago. Always wanted another one. Does anyone know what edition the ones on eBay are? 5.3, maybe? 2.4g at least?
                                I'm working on my M26 conversion. However, wiring took a back seat to repairing the countless broken posts inside the hull from an overly aggressive assembly person. I'll restart on wiring soon with documented pictures. I have an affinity for the Stug as well. I'll say, with almost certainty, that most retailers will have the 5.3 or above in them. I've not seen any advertised with the 6.x in them yet.

Comment

Thw Stug III and Pershing use the v5.3 system. I just finish upgrading the Stug III to the v6.0 system. Sorry I did not document that install but it was pretty straight forward. I installed a set of blue motors too. She is quick! Here is a quick video of her all done.

Comment

Originally posted by karltrek View Post

Thw Stug III and Pershing use the v5.3 system. I just finish upgrading the Stug III to the v6.0 system. Sorry I did not document that install but it was pretty straight forward. I installed a set of blue motors too. She is quick! Here is a quick video of her all done.

https://youtu.be/MwdoWEs69kY
                                    Woohoo, skids and slides. Impressive!

Comment

Just out of idle curiosity, does the 5.3 transmitter look like the 6.0? And what IR receiver does it use?

Oh, this to Alpha: You'd mentionedearlier that HL would be making an upgrade package for 5.3 to 6.0. Any developments on that? In a related issue, do you know if or when HL will be releasing a 6.0 version of the Sturmgeschutz III? It's funny, but everyone I know who remembers the early times say that was a favorite. Thanks!

Comment

Just out of idle curiosity, does the 5.3 transmitter look like the 6.0? And what IR receiver does it use?

Oh, this to Alpha: You'd mentionedearlier that HL would be making an upgrade package for 5.3 to 6.0. Any developments on that? In a related issue, do you know if or when HL will be releasing a 6.0 version of the Sturmgeschutz III? It's funny, but everyone I know who remembers the early times say that was a favorite. Thanks!
                                        The 5.3 TX looks exactly like the 6.0 TX. But the 5.3 does not work with the 6.0 MFU.

The stock 5.3 IR system does not work with the 6.0 or Tamiya based systems. The stock 5.3 only works with other 5.2 & 5.3 systems. The stock IR receiver for the 5.2/3 are absolute JUNK even compared to the ones supplied with the 6.0 systems.

Don’t waist the effort in time and money trying to make. 5.3 systems IR compatible with the newer 6.0 or Tamiya based systems. It is cheaper and in the end you will have better all around performance to just add / swap out the 5.3 to a 6.0. It takes about 30 min and is SUPER easy to do.

Comment

Working...
                                        X