X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I Fry my Battery?

I charged my Heng Long battery with my Thunder Power 610 in NIMH mode. Didn't realize it was Li-ion batt. Any way to save it? Guess I should be happy I didn't burn my house down.

Have you plugged in a battery tester to see what your cell voltage is? If it’s not over 4.20 a cell your probably ok just balance it on the Lipo setting on your charger.

Comment

It's less than 1 volt, I'll give the Lipo balance a try though, thanks. I've watched a bunch of your YouTube videos, gotta love the name.

Comment

Ouch if it’s less than one volt that’s going to be hard to bring back I definitely would recommend you take it outside for this. It’s probably not dead but it’s definitely in a unsafe voltage. Your charger might not actually start if it’s that low. I believe most chargers won’t charge if it’s under 3.2 a cell. Now once again take it outside in the middle of the driveway for this in case it decided to catch fire. But charge it slow on the Nickel metal setting at a slow charge for like 10 minutes then check it with your batterie checker once it’s up to around 3.0 a cell you should be able to balance it. If it balanced your good to go if it’s a fireball time for a new battery. Just be safe with any lipo charging especially when there out of the safe range

Comment

Thanks for your quick response Boozer, couldn't save it. My charger won't even talk to it. I think I'll get a NiMH somewhere in the 3000mah range. Coming out of heli's and drones I'm a little wary of LiPos.

Comment

Originally posted by bcmfin View Post
            Thanks for your quick response Boozer, couldn't save it. My charger won't even talk to it. I think I'll get a NiMH somewhere in the 3000mah range. Coming out of heli's and drones I'm a little wary of LiPos.
            NiMH are the safest way to go with tanks. There is no weight issue concerns with tanks like with of aircraft or cars and trucks. So you can run the heavy NiMH batteries. Most of mine are 4000-5000 MAH and 7-8 cell 8.4-9.6 volts batteries.

Comment

Will these boards and motors take that voltage?

Comment

Originally posted by bcmfin View Post
                Will these boards and motors take that voltage?
                Aftermarket boards vary in what level of power they can handle. Usually the lower end models can’t handle much over 7.2 volts, but the higher end are able to handle 12 volts with no problem. The manufacturers usually list the ratings so make sure to double check before you buy one.

380 and 390 type motors are rated up to 12 volts. Going much past 8.4v with your Tiger would be a waist as it would make your Tiger unrealistically fast.

Comment

Thanks, I'll stick with the 7.2v with a higher MaH, I don't need to go fast.

Comment

Working...
                  X