X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panther G soft suspension

I have a new "upgrade" model Heng Long Panther G from Motion RC and the suspension springs are so soft in the front of the tank that there is almost no travel left when it's sitting still.
    This model has a steel gearbox but plastic tracks,sprockets and idler wheels so weight shouldn't be an issue but obviously it needs more spring tension.
    Is there a way to adjust the stock springs for more stiffness of do the springs need to be upgraded?
    Steve

Originally posted by Sureshot View Post
    I have a new "upgrade" model Heng Long Panther G from Motion RC and the suspension springs are so soft in the front of the tank that there is almost no travel left when it's sitting still.
    This model has a steel gearbox but plastic tracks,sprockets and idler wheels so weight shouldn't be an issue but obviously it needs more spring tension.
    Is there a way to adjust the stock springs for more stiffness of do the springs need to be upgraded?
    Steve
    Yes there is a way. It’s relatively easy.

Comment

Remove the wheels and the swing arms. The springs have an adjustment hole to tighten the springs. If that's not enough, drill new holes and clock them even more. My Jadpanther had the same problem. I clocked them one hole and its better. When I tear it apart for paint, I'll probably buy heavier springs or drill new holes for the 1st and last road wheels.

Comment

Thanks BcuriousR,
        Are the springs well behaved when you take off the swing arms or will they try to fly around the room? 😊
        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Sureshot View Post
          Thanks BcuriousR,
          Are the springs well behaved when you take off the swing arms of will they try to fly around the room? 😊
          Steve
          Take the wheels off. Unscrew the arm from the chassis while putting a little pressure in on it just to keep the spring from unloading. As the screw is removed, guide the arm to unload the spring by slightly lifting the guide horn out of it's slot. Once you start taking it apart, its pretty self explanatory. Without a little attention, the springs may bounce a bit, but I don't think they'll fly into the realm of "Never To Be Seen Again". There is a small washer in the middle of the spring. Take care not to lose it. Once you pulled the spring out, you'll see the two tension holes. Move it over one hole (counter clock-wise, I think), and reassemble. Enjoy a stiffer suspension. Could be a 10 minute job..... maybe 15 if you like to look a things once they've been take apart. Stiffer springs are available from different retailers.

Comment

Thanks again BcuriousR!
            I tightened up the springs in the front four road wheels on the Panther G and it sits up in a proper stance now.
            Looks and drives much better.
            Steve

Comment

Thanks BcuriousR and sureshot. Did the same with my Panther G, the first four road wheels,counter-clocked one hole. Rides level now.
              I did find on both sides the first and fourth road wheels had stiffer springs from the factory. Lucky I guess.

As an FYI - the hex bolt on the swing arms,sprocket wheel,and idler wheel is 2.5mm.

If you have trouble tapping out the track pins from the outside, tap them out from the inside much easier - on plastic tracks,

Comment

I'm planning on getting the Panther with metal tracks and sprocket/idler wheels and will this problem arise? If it does, will I need to take off the tracks to access the road wheels, and then proceed from there?

Comment

Is there somewhere in the manual that shows how to do it?

Comment

Originally posted by KV2_driver_13 View Post
                    Is there somewhere in the manual that shows how to do it?
                    Nope!! But it takes long explain then to actually. When you are ready post up and one of us will walk you through it.

Comment

Thanks! If I seem to have that problem when I get my Panther, I'd love one of you to walk me through adjusting the spring tension.

Comment

Unboxed my Panther today. It’s got the full metal treatment, tracks, road wheels etc... plus barrel recoil. Not only does it have no travel on the front suppression but the rear also. Looks like I’ll need to adjust all the springs to get any suspension travel. Also does anybody know how to get the caps off the road wheels? Any other advice, input, links to tutorials is appreciated.

Comment

So it looks like the springs are already as tight as they go. After market springs look like the next option. The recommendation I saw in another spot was to use Mato king tiger springs. Anybody tried this and how did it work?

Comment

Originally posted by DevilDog77 View Post
                            So it looks like the springs are already as tight as they go. After market springs look like the next option. The recommendation I saw in another spot was to use Mato king tiger springs. Anybody tried this and how did it work?
                            Save your money and simply add another adjustments hole. The Mato spring do little more then the stock springs.

Comment

Working...
                            X