X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Gearboxes

Yay!! Look what turned up today. I know what I'm doing this weekend. Just a little question though, do you have to run these in? I know they are the blue and not the red motors but I only have plastic running gear on the Abrams and I didn't think it would hand
    Attached Files

Sappo You don't need to break them in, provided they're shimmed and meshed nicely from the supplier. We have since discontinued the blue motor setup, but it's still a good one, better than stock. Have fun!
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

The Red motors will not fit in the Sherman. The Blue motors are the only upgrade option for that tank. And I can tell you that they make a huge difference in performance.

Comment

That's what I heard, should make a world of difference to the Abrams. Also got the drive shaft support bearings as well

Comment

Got the new motors and gearboxes in and I am impressed, probably running at a scale 70 kph now. Actually got more power than the plastic tracks can cope with cause it spins the tracks on the lawn. Oh well MORE upgrades to do. One question tho what wattage is the speaker cause mine has decided to die on me.

Comment

Originally posted by saunderspeter071@gmail.com View Post
            Got the new motors and gearboxes in and I am impressed, probably running at a scale 70 kph now. Actually got more power than the plastic tracks can cope with cause it spins the tracks on the lawn. Oh well MORE upgrades to do. One question tho what wattage is the speaker cause mine has decided to die on me.
            If you think it is fast now, just wait until you upgrade it to the 390 red motors.

Comment

Dunno bout the 390s, this thing is fast enough now as is. Also pretty sure the plastic running gear wouldn't cope, I reckon I'm at its limit now

Comment

Originally posted by saunderspeter071@gmail.com View Post
                Dunno bout the 390s, this thing is fast enough now as is. Also pretty sure the plastic running gear wouldn't cope, I reckon I'm at its limit now
                Trust me you are NOT even close to the limit of what can be achieved with plastic tracks. Blue motors are not that much more powerful then stock. They are about equal to running stock silver 380s at just under 9 volts. With the Abrams this mean you are at a scale top speed of no more then 35mph(55-60kph) with blue 380s and a 7.4 Li-ion or Lipo battery. By comparison running it all stock the scale top speed for the 6.0 Abrams is ~28mph with plastic tracks and just a bit faster with all metal tracks(slightly more grip do to heavier overall tank weight)

An Abrams with 390 motors, running a 7.4v battery and plastic tracks will achieve a top end speed on a super flat surface of ~40mph(65kph) maybe slightly more. To achieve even more speed one needs just to add higher voltage. Abrams plastic tracks are reasonably durable enough to handle 390 motors at up to 9 volts on hard flat surfaces.

Point to all this don’t limit yourself. These tanks are far more durable then you might think. And when you break a plastic track and you WILL no matter with stock or upgraded motors the plastic track is cheap and easy to repair.

Comment

Well got her out in the dirt today and gawd she went great. Took everything I threw her at with no problem. The drive shaft bearings had a lot to do with it ,no detracking issues at all. And she climbs like a mountain goat now
                  Attached Files

Comment

If I was going upgrade the motors in my Leopard 2A6 Pro, what would be the best? What about going to 5:1 gears?

Comment

Originally posted by Olddowl53 View Post
                      If I was going upgrade the motors in my Leopard 2A6 Pro, what would be the best? What about going to 5:1 gears?
                      Assuming you have a 6.0 system and steel gearboxes now. If you want improvements in speed and handling simply go with the HL red 390 motors. These will double the current speed and greatly improved overall handling.

If you want it to run slower then stock go with 5:1 gearboxes. These are usually seen installed in WW2 tanks to given them a more period feel to their handling.

Comment

Thank you that helps a lot. The Leopard does have the steel gears and metal tracks. I'm also running 6.0. Red 390's it is and we'll see how that works. I like your idea about changing to 5:1 gearbox on the KV-1.

Comment

Working...
                        X