X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding smoke oil.....

I see from other postings that only 1-2 drops of smoke oil should be added when smoke is no longer produced. What is the best method of getting that small amount to run down into the smoker unit from the exhaust pipes through a couple of inches of plastic tubing to where it needs to be ?? Should the tank be stood on its nose for half an hour after adding the oil or is there a better procedure ?

I've had good luck tipping the tank so the fluid will run toward the smoker (direction varies by type of tank) and then adding a few drops of fluid to the exhaust port followed by a soft puff of air to move the fluid along to the smoker.
    If after adding fluid and no smoke appears after a minute or so try blowing a puff of air down the exhaust and see if that helps.
    The fluid sometimes bridges across the tubing and the little pump doesn't have enough pressure to clear out the tube.
    Steve

Comment

I completely disagree with the one or two drops statement. I actually opened up the smoker unit and found that most of my tanks were dry. One drop would not even make it down the pipe. And most of the smoker issues were that the heater element was not correctly positioned on the cotton. I needed to add 5 or 6 drops to sufficiently prime the smoker.

Comment

Originally posted by karltrek View Post
        I completely disagree with the one or two drops statement. I actually opened up the smoker unit and found that most of my tanks were dry. One drop would not even make it down the pipe. And most of the smoker issues were that the heater element was not correctly positioned on the cotton. I needed to add 5 or 6 drops to sufficiently prime the smoker.
        Interesting....Can the heating element be bent to contact the cotton ? I had considered that, but I don't want to break it.

Comment

On my T-90 tank I wasn't getting a lot of smoke output so I opened up the smoker and found that the cotton was pushed down away from the heating element. I pulled it up so it was almost against the element and added more oil and then it produced a lot of smoke.
          I agree with Karltrek that you can add more than 2 drops of oil if you can keep the oil from sticking in the outlet tube.
          Steve

Comment

Exactly what I found. All my tanks smoke great now.

Comment

I replaced my stock smoker unit in my Heng Long KV1 with the upgraded heng long smoker that uses a blower instead of a pump to move air. What a huge difference in smoke output. Instead of puffing like a locomotive, it now has a steady exhaust like a real tank.

I also am using this much better smoke oil. I highly recommend it.

Comment

Vape juice is either propylene glycol​ (PG) or vegetable glycerin​ (VG) based. Since cloud chasers use a straight VG juice one would think it would produce nice smoke for a tank, but it doesnt IMO. Others claim a 50/50 mix of baby oil & indoor lamp oil works great. I recently received JT's Mega Steam oil used for model trains but I havn't tried it yet-looking forward to it.

​

Comment

JT's Mega Steam oil ..............

Comment

I have been pondering their diesel scented offering for obvious reasons. I just wish it was practical to color the smoke as well.

Comment

Originally posted by JennyC6 View Post
                      I have been pondering their diesel scented offering for obvious reasons. I just wish it was practical to color the smoke as well.
                      I have that figured out sort of. I'll post a video when it arrives.

Comment

Zip turned me on to JT's. Great stuff. I have also converted to using magnets on the upper hull. I drop directly into the unit. A lot easier.

Comment

Well, I had high hopes for this fluid, altough not white, a more grayish tint, it smokes good.....but alas, its not blue....I'll keep trying

Comment

I suppose you could put a tiny blue led in the exhaust pipe.😉

Comment

Can we use straight Johnson's baby oil in the rc tanks to produce smoke or not?
                              what alternatives do we have and how to produce it?
                              Happy Christmas to u all and TANK you in advance for your replyes.

Comment

Working...
                              X