X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.1 Gear Box

Does anyone know where we can buy a 5.1 Gear box without motors? I have a couple of pair of R390's I would like to put in my M4 and Tiger. I would like to have scale speed with some extra torque. I put R390s in my KV-1 and it runs like a scared rabbit, but I am trying to do some historical battles with my grandsons and its kinda weird having the KV-1 run circles around them.

Originally posted by Grandpa53 View Post
    Does anyone know where we can buy a 5.1 Gear box without motors? I have a couple of pair of R390's I would like to put in my M4 and Tiger. I would like to have scale speed with some extra torque. I put R390s in my KV-1 and it runs like a scared rabbit, but I am trying to do some historical battles with my grandsons and its kinda weird having the KV-1 run circles around them.
    You might be better served looking at 4:1 gearboxes with 380 motors and running them on the low power setting (6.0 and up tanks)which limits the motors to no more then 7.2volts. This will give you the slow period speed you are looking for pulse a huge increase in low end torque. Also much easier to come by and far more popular then 5:1 boxes.

Your KV is fast because of three factors. 390 motors, 3:1 gearboxes and the exceptionally larger sprocket. It is the sprocket though that really changes the final drive ratios in favor of higher speeds vs other tanks with similar motors and gearboxes. My KV with 390 motors and running at 9.6 volts is almost as fast as my Tamiya Abrams running 540 Sport Tuned motors that has a scale top speed of nearly 50 mph. Needless to say I don’t run the KV at 9.6 during IR battles and power it way back to 7.2 volts and even then it is a bit to fast at times, so I have to be easy on the throttling to avoid upsetting folks during period themed battles.

Comment

Once again,Thank you 99!

I have seen the Ultimate II's for under $60. I think you can get them with 4:1. I put R390s in my Leopard (whether they are true or not) and it runs good. The 390s I just received were from Tuacon and have dark fins. I have a Challenger so I'll put them in that. Ill give the other pair to my son in law to slap in his Abrams. Then we will be running quick on the NATO rigs and I'll start looking for some 380s with 4:1. Great advice as always 99. Thanks....

Comment

Working...
      X