X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topic about tank crew figures

First, to get this out of the way: I hope this can be a general topic on the subject. I invite anyone to post insights and/or questions on 1/16 scale tanker figures here.

After finishing my German King Tiger, I knew it needed a crew. I soon found that it is rather difficult to find decent and affordable figures in this scale. The selection is also not great. Where for scale 1/35 there's a plethora of manufacturers, for 1/16 there seem to be just a handful of small companies that make (mostly very expensive) resin figures. I also found that the ones that look really good are very expensive (50 euros, about 60 USD per figure). I also found that recasts (knock-offs) are available from China. So last week my knock-off resin figures came in from Aliexpress.

I bought a couple of figures, with the idea that some would be good, some would be bad, and some to just use the heads from. I'll go through them, and try to do some comparison between them and with the King Tiger.

Comparison

First up are Axel and Rudi, a set of two sporting the standard German crew uniforms. I got two of these sets in the hopes of just using the bodies with head swaps to make four crew in total. These are nice figures, their details are above average, but it's noticeably a recast. They are about the same size as the Heng Long guy (comparison later below). In real life they would be a little over 1.80 meter. Unfortunately this means they are a bit too big, just like the Heng Long guy.

Click image for larger version  Name:	figures03.jpg Views:	1 Size:	142.9 KB ID:	271741

Next up are Hans and Joachim. These came seperate, both sport a coverall which apparently was sometimes worn instead of the regular uniform.
    Hans is really large unfortunately, I came to about 1.85 meters. His head is on the smaller side though, so I might use that. A shame actually, as I really like this figure.
    Joachim is the only figure that is a correct size. He comes in at about 1.65 meters, which seems right for a person from that time crewing a tank. He is also the only one who can comfortably fit his torso through one of the forward hatches in the King Tiger.

Click image for larger version  Name:	figures01.jpg Views:	1 Size:	152.5 KB ID:	271736

This is Dieter. He's big like most of the others. I bought him mainly because I liked the head. I don't know what uniform this is. It looks like a coverall but a bit different and he has insignia on the front.

Click image for larger version  Name:	figures02.jpg Views:	1 Size:	128.6 KB ID:	271737

Head size comparision:

Click image for larger version  Name:	figures04.jpg Views:	1 Size:	133.6 KB ID:	271732

With Heng Long guy:

Click image for larger version  Name:	figures05.jpg Views:	1 Size:	102.5 KB ID:	271726

Some pictures for scale

Axel and Rudi are too big, just like the Heng Long guy. Maybe I can make it work ik I cut them down some. Be creative.

Click image for larger version  Name:	figures06tank.jpg Views:	1 Size:	79.2 KB ID:	271738

Joachim fits nicely. Cut him down to use the torso and it'll look nice:

Click image for larger version  Name:	figures07tank.jpg Views:	1 Size:	123.0 KB ID:	271739

Axel is too big: I might be able to make this work by trimming him a bit:

Click image for larger version  Name:	figures08tank.jpg Views:	1 Size:	87.8 KB ID:	271742

Here we can clearly see Axel on the left, and how he will never be able to get down that hatch. Same goes for commander Rudi. Joachim in the front feels about right in size.

Click image for larger version  Name:	figures09tank.jpg Views:	1 Size:	118.8 KB ID:	271730

Poor Hans is way too tall:

Click image for larger version  Name:	figures10tank.jpg Views:	1 Size:	117.0 KB ID:	271725

Conclusion

While for the most part nicely cast (for recasts that is!), I'm not sure how to feel about these figures. I think I will try to make this work with some creativity, trimming, etc. But I'm disappointed most of the figures are too big. I wonder why that is?

Attached Files

I also got a Russian crew in anticipation of Motion RC getting the T-34 in stock. These are recasts of the very expensive SOL models, and look a lot better than the Germans from my first post. Their size seems about right, there's even a height difference between them and the female driver figure is noticably smaller.

Funny thing, I noticed 3D printlines on these faces. Looks like SOL even though very nice, didn't clean up their prints very well before casting . And it comes through in these recasts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	figuresrussian1.jpg
Views:	788
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	271744

Name:	figuresrussian2.jpg
Views:	799
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	271745

Comment

I’m working on crews also! My 3D printer source buddy found this guy, DAK I believe. He’s in the paint shop at this time.

Name:	79BE9AD1-7720-4DEE-8A93-15BE8A69787E.jpeg
Views:	757
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	271792
      Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

SoCalBobS Nice, is this for your StuG? Do you know what website your 3D printer buddy found the 3D model?

Comment

I believe it was Thingiverse, but I’ll confirm. He also printed out a wonderfully crafted Panzerschreck team that’ll be my next project after this one is done.

Comment

I asked. Mark browses around. He got this guy at

Comment

Name:	72C72ABA-13A8-484A-9BD6-7B4A9119902F.jpeg
Views:	760
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	272026
              Pretty much done. Not the best at pants shadows, but ok.

Comment

SoCalBobS Thanks for the link and for asking. Figure is looking good! Shadows look good to me.

Comment

SoCalBobS and UltraVargen, Great Topic and Timely as well. Figures look good with the tanks, I think, much like a good pilot figure with the aircraft. Best, LB
                  I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                  ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

I agree Elbee , figures really help bring out a sense of scale in a tank. It's been a bear finding scale figures that are accurate, correctly proportioned, sufficiently detailed, consistently reproduceable, and reasonably priced. Most we've found 4 of the 6, but none have 5 of the 6, let alone all 6. Not to mention, with a moral provenance. The search continues!

Name:	Sherman - Crew of Four.jpg
Views:	692
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	286430Click image for larger version

Name:	Leopard -Crew of Three.jpg
Views:	789
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	286429
                    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Hi all...

I wish someone would put up a thread on what available figures go with particular tanks. So far I have been using Torro figures that I modified myself. Here is Torro crew that had the right arm repositioned, puttied and repainted. Dai
                      Attached Files

Comment

The crews of my tanks. All are modified Torro and one from Haya figures. Dai
                        Attached Files

Comment

Alpha & dai phan , Great work on all your projects. The figures are remarkable. Best as always, LB
                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                            Alpha & dai phan , Great work on all your projects. The figures are remarkable. Best as always, LB
                            I didn't do much as they come painted. I have to cut off the arms and reposition them. Then puttied then painted. Simple. Dai

Comment

More ... All modified Torro crews. Dai
                              Attached Files

Comment

I spent the afternoon mixing up the resin figures I got off Aliexpress. It's turning out a lot better than I hoped. Most of the figures that I though would be too big actually work quite well with some cutting and swapping of heads.

Still need to make the driver, didn't have time for him yet. After that it's time to fill seams and then onto painting them.

Name:	WIN_20210110_19_09_02_Pro.jpg
Views:	719
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	293897Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20210110_19_10_26_Pro.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	293896

Comment

Originally posted by UltraVargen View Post
                                  I spent the afternoon mixing up the resin figures...
                                  UV, Those look outstanding, Sir. Not too large at all and bigger is better IMHO. Nothing makes a model look more like a model more than figures/pilots that are too small. Best, LB
                                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Thanks Elbee !

Comment

Hi Guys,
                                      I think that in an "enclosed" tank you can have 1 to 4 figures, a single commander or most of the crew like in the SOL sherman pic.👍
                                      But in an "open" vehicle I think it is essential to have the correct number of figures in view. ( Space and size requirements governing )
                                      For example, I don't think my wirbelwind would look complete without the crew. As an open top vehicle without a crew it would look as if it was abandoned.😞
                                      Cheers
                                      Afrikakorps
                                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2077.JPG Views:	0 Size:	152.7 KB ID:	293939Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2074 copy.JPG Views:	0 Size:	130.2 KB ID:	293941Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2078.JPG Views:	0 Size:	109.3 KB ID:	293938Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2075.JPG Views:	0 Size:	155.4 KB ID:	293942

Comment

I totally agree Afrikakorps ! Those are some excellent figures you did there. Very inspiring!

Comment

Working...
                                        X