X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading to 6.0s

I am trying to upgrade my King Tiger from 5.3 to 6.0s I'm not sure about some of the connections to the main board. I followed the diagrams as best I could, but a couple of things have me confused. Should the 8 pin connector be plugged in to the main board just as it is, or do I need to run individual wires for the turret, gun, machine gun and headlight to work properly and ignore the 8 pin connector? What about "binding" the transmitter to the receiver ? The old system used a binding switch, which now has no place to plug in to the main board. I tried powering the tank on with no results, so now I am stuck !! Any help would be much appreciated !!

Originally posted by Cascabel View Post
    I am trying to upgrade my King Tiger from 5.3 to 6.0s I'm not sure about some of the connections to the main board. I followed the diagrams as best I could, but a couple of things have me confused. Should the 8 pin connector be plugged in to the main board just as it is, or do I need to run individual wires for the turret, gun, machine gun and headlight to work properly and ignore the 8 pin connector? What about "binding" the transmitter to the receiver ? The old system used a binding switch, which now has no place to plug in to the main board. I tried powering the tank on with no results, so now I am stuck !! Any help would be much appreciated !!
    You do not use the 8 pin with the 6.0. Each system has its own slot to plug into.

Binding is done when you turn the tank and remote on. It’s kind of an automated thing now. Press and hold the start button down and turn the tank power on. You must be using the 6.0 transmitter not the 5.3. They look the same but have different electronics.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

You do not use the 8 pin with the 6.0. Each system has its own slot to plug into.

Binding is done when you turn the tank and remote on. It’s kind of an automated thing now. Press and hold the start button down and turn the tank power on. You must be using the 6.0 transmitter not the 5.3. They look the same but have different electronics.
      Thanks, that is most helpful !! I kinda thought that, but didn't know for sure. I didn't want to fry something by guessing wrong.

Comment

Something I learned on this board: if you already have a 6.0 transmitter, you can bind multiple tanks to it. Just make sure only one bound tank is turned on at a time!
        Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

If you are upgrading from a 5.3 tank to 6.0 remove all electronics except the BB shooting unit and LED lights. The BB Shooting unit is the same used in the 6.0 tanks. Plugs right in. If your tank has a system older than 5.3 remove everything. You can reuse the LED lights.

I upgraded a couple of StuG III's and Pershing from 5.3 to 6.0.

Comment

I also have a StugIII and a Pershing M26 5.3 I want to upgrade to 6.0. What a coincidence.... When I'm ready to do the upgrade I could use some expert advise. Right now I let my 4 yr old grandson motor around the Stug. He loves it, but so far I haven't shoot any BBs yet. He might think it would be funny to shoot grandma in the rear when she would least expect it. That would not help my tank hobby very much. But I do intend to upgrade both sooner or later.

​​​​​​
            Stug

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa53 View Post
              I also have a StugIII and a Pershing M26 5.3 I want to upgrade to 6.0. What a coincidence.... When I'm ready to do the upgrade I could use some expert advise. Right now I let my 4 yr old grandson motor around the Stug. He loves it, but so far I haven't shoot any BBs yet. He might think it would be funny to shoot grandma in the rear when she would least expect it. That would not help my tank hobby very much. But I do intend to upgrade both sooner or later.

​​​​​​
              Stug
              Best to do as Karltrek suggests, and remove everything, including plugs and wiring first. In the new system, everything plugs directly into the new 6.0 board, if you have a slip-ring unit, replace that with the 6.0 version also. Depending on which tank you are converting, you may have a couple of wires that are not used. You will likely have to do a small amount of soldering or splicing wires, but that depends on which tank you have. You will need to follow the wires on the slip ring and match colors to know where to plug things in. It really turns out simpler than it looks. If working with a turreted tank, tie wires together in bundles to keep them clear of getting caught in moving parts when the turret turns, also some new wires may be longer than needed, so fold them and tie them to keep them out of the gearboxes. Wiring sets are available on ebay to do the conversion, but here are no instructions. You need to figure it out on your own, but it's fairly simple, just do one wire at a time, and test to make sure everything is working properly before closing it up. I forgot to mention that you will need to change your smoker and speaker to the 6.0 versions, because the older ones are not compatible

Comment

I now understand that HL has a even newer version motherboard, 6.1S, any input?

Comment

Originally posted by Scaleman3 View Post
                  I now understand that HL has a even newer version motherboard, 6.1S, any input?
                  It’s really good!!! Especially if you want to convert the turret function to true servos. Also it has higher motor amp output ratings meaning you “could” (?) run 540 motors and brushless off of it. Making them fit the gearboxes is another thing.

It can also operate a “cross drive transmission” that is offer by DLKM and a similar one HL now has(though few have actually gotten to run). Well that’s at least what the instructions manual I saw recently said.

Negative: It still is not 100% Tamiya battle protocol compliant.

Comment

It’s really good!!! Especially if you want to convert the turret function to true servos. Also it has higher motor amp output ratings meaning you “could” (?) run 540 motors and brushless off of it. Making them fit the gearboxes is another thing.

It can also operate a “cross drive transmission” that is offer by DLKM and a similar one HL now has(though few have actually gotten to run). Well that’s at least what the instructions manual I saw recently said.

Negative: It still is not 100% Tamiya battle protocol compliant.
                    Does the HL tanks that are coming into Motion RC have this NEW motherboard?

Comment

Does the HL tanks that are coming into Motion RC have this NEW motherboard?
                      I don’t think anyone is selling new HL tanks with the 6.1S, at least not in the U.S. . I suspect it’s is a matter of what “specifications” and price point retail companies order for their target market. The 6.1S would raise the entry level tanks price by $50 more or less and is not needed in the vast majority of the HL tanks sold at this time. Though with the fast growing popularity of the newer HL versions I can see needing the 6.1S sooner rather then later.

Most of us that have the 6.1S bought it separately and fitted it into our tanks. It is super easy plug and play.

Comment

I don’t think anyone is selling new HL tanks with the 6.1S, at least not in the U.S. . I suspect it’s is a matter of what “specifications” and price point retail companies order for their target market. The 6.1S would raise the entry level tanks price by $50 more or less and is not needed in the vast majority of the HL tanks sold at this time. Though with the fast growing popularity of the newer HL versions I can see needing the 6.1S sooner rather then later.

Most of us that have the 6.1S bought it separately and fitted it into our tanks. It is super easy plug and play.
                        Taigen Tanks has them for $80.00, having the ability to servo the barrel for recoil is here, I understand that the on/off switch has been moved as well.

Comment

Taigen Tanks has them for $80.00, having the ability to servo the barrel for recoil is here, I understand that the on/off switch has been moved as well.
                          That’s kinda pricey.

A HL 6.1S system only cost around $60 retail and you can use the stock 6.0 transmitter with it so no need to buy the 6.1S with one unless you do not have a 6.0 transmitter already. I got mine delivered for ~$45 from Aliexpress.com back early November last year.

Comment

Working...
                          X