Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I get what I paid for?

Hello all,

I ordered the Modified version of the HL 1/16 Sherman. The box is sealed and does not say anything about the "modified version" that has upgraded parts than factory standard. The model number is 3898-1. How do I know I got what I paid for than just a factory standard version? Thanks all. Dai

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Originally posted by dai phan View Post
    Hello all,

I ordered the Modified version of the HL 1/16 Sherman. The box is sealed and does not say anything about the "modified version" that has upgraded parts than factory standard. The model number is 3898-1. How do I know I got what I paid for than just a factory standard version? Thanks all. Dai

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Simple open the box and look.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

Simple open the box and look.
      I am not experienced enough to see the nuiances of the upgraded parts as described. This is my first R/C tank. Dai

Comment

I am not experienced enough to see the nuiances of the upgraded parts as described. This is my first R/C tank. Dai
        Post some photos so we can see the physical tank that you have not a link to a promo page. Otherwise no one can answer your questions.

Comment

Post some photos so we can see the physical tank that you have not a link to a promo page. Otherwise no one can answer your questions.
          Yes I wil do so, Thanks! Dai

Comment

On the box end or elsewhere, the letter S means steel gears, Z zinc. There are other designator. Look around the box. Maybe show us a photo.
            Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
              On the box end or elsewhere, the letter S means steel gears, Z zinc. There are other designator. Look around the box. Maybe show us a photo.
              Nothing of that sort. Just 3898-1.

Comment

You may need to open it up to see if it actually has the steel gears, and 360 degree turret slip ring as advertised, and see if it has the 6.0 board as advertised. Metal tracks and sprockets are visible on the outside. It's good to become familiar with opening these tanks up anyhow, because you will eventually need to do repairs. It is easy to open one up for inspection, just be careful not to knock any plugs loose or get any wires pinched on reassembly.

Comment

Since you do not want to help us out with the requested additional information I will tell you what you want to hear. YES you got what you paid for! Or maybe you did not! Either way you over paid for it.

Comment

Since you do not want to help us out with the requested additional information I will tell you what you want to hear. YES you got what you paid for! Or maybe you did not! Either way you over paid for it.
                    The tank has issues with the smoke system and also the main barrel barely moved up and down with loud binding sound. I sent it back to Amazon for refund. That is why I did not want to open up the tank for the photos. Rubicon99 says I overpaid so what price should I be paying? Thanks Dai

Comment

The tank has issues with the smoke system and also the main barrel barely moved up and down with loud binding sound. I sent it back to Amazon for refund. That is why I did not want to open up the tank for the photos. Rubicon99 says I overpaid so what price should I be paying? Thanks Dai
                      By photos myself and other meant the outside of the tank not the inside workings. Photos of the box art would have also helped. It sounds like you had too high of expectations. HL tanks are “toy grade” out of the box, not “hobby grade” and they require additional work to them to bring them up to hobby grade standards.

Check EBay next time. You over paid by about $20-$30.

It is normal for the barrels of the M4 to NOT elevate sharply up or down and the noise you heard was most likely the elevation motor slip gear “maxing” out. It is normal with all the 5.3 and 6.0 tanks and the slip gear is there to keep from damaging the gear box.

The smoke systems are hit and miss some work well, some so so and other are DRT right out of the box.

Comment

By photos myself and other meant the outside of the tank not the inside workings. Photos of the box art would have also helped. It sounds like you had too high of expectations. HL tanks are “toy grade” out of the box, not “hobby grade” and they require additional work to them to bring them up to hobby grade standards.

Check EBay next time. You over paid by about $20-$30.

It is normal for the barrels of the M4 to NOT elevate sharply up or down and the noise you heard was most likely the elevation motor slip gear “maxing” out. It is normal with all the 5.3 and 6.0 tanks and the slip gear is there to keep from damaging the gear box.

The smoke systems are hit and miss some work well, some so so and other are DRT right out of the box.

Thank you so much for your reply. What would you recommend then ? I like 1/16 scale. Dai

Comment

Thank you so much for your reply. What would you recommend then ? I like 1/16 scale. Dai
                          HL tanks are fine but you have to be willing to open them up and tinker. They are EASY to work on and upgrade to hobby grade specs.

Other brands such as Tamiya tanks require you to build them from extensive part kits. As a model builder (like you said in another thread) you would most likely enjoy this aspect. They start around $800 and go up from there just for the kit. Radios are a separate purchase. Are Tamiya tanks worth the price? YES.

Tanks are fun but also HIGH maintenance regardless of what level. One needs to be willing to turn a screwdriver, use a hammer and not want to through the dang thing across the room when it breaks for the tenth time.

Feel free to stop by my Instagram @ fsttanks. I have hundreds of photos and videos of both upgraded HL and Tamiya tanks there.

Comment

Hey Rubicon, your reply prompted a question I've had for a while. HL slip gears? Since I've lent my tanks to friends to drive, invariably they over rotate the turret and over-elevate the gun. So, there is a mechanism that protects those gear trains?
                            Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
                              Hey Rubicon, your reply prompted a question I've had for a while. HL slip gears? Since I've lent my tanks to friends to drive, invariably they over rotate the turret and over-elevate the gun. So, there is a mechanism that protects those gear trains?
                              Yes. In the turret and elevation gearboxes there is a slip / clutch type gear that protects the other gears from stripping. The noise you hear when the turret and elevation max out and stop is those gears doing their job. Kinda a warning noise to back off. The gear is slipping as designed. They can wear out and I have broken a few. When this happens the course of action is to replace the associated gearbox.

Comment

Working...
                              X