You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No near by R/C Tank Clubs ... What to do?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No near by R/C Tank Clubs ... What to do?

Hello all,

The nearest R/C Tank club is almost 3 hours away. This hobby involves interaction with others to make it fun. I must admit it is kind of boring playing alone. Any suggestions? Dai

I had that problem with a different RC sub-niche and researched every RC club in a 60+ mile radius and sent emails expressing my interest and inquired for participation. Also posted on several forums that supported it and put on demonstrations at various clubs to show off my interest. Ended up having a large get together that was only 2 hours from where I live and had people show up from 3 states away for the event.
    Where there is a passion and desire you can make it happen. Yes, it takes effort and time but if not you then who? At the very least maybe you can start a small club. Even if you start with two members over time it may grow into something wonderful but again it takes time and effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Beeg View Post
      I had that problem with a different RC sub-niche and researched every RC club in a 60+ mile radius and sent emails expressing my interest and inquired for participation. Also posted on several forums that supported it and put on demonstrations at various clubs to show off my interest. Ended up having a large get together that was only 2 hours from where I live and had people show up from 3 states away for the event.
      Where there is a passion and desire you can make it happen. Yes, it takes effort and time but if not you then who? At the very least maybe you can start a small club. Even if you start with two members over time it may grow into something wonderful but again it takes time and effort.
      I will go on my FB page and invite people to join me to start a R/C tank club. Free beers, champagne, Hennesee and endless steaks, lobster tails may entice them. Dai

Comment

Originally posted by dai phan View Post

I will go on my FB page and invite people to join me to start a R/C tank club. Free beers, champagne, Hennesee and endless steaks, lobster tails may entice them. Dai
        Think more “Field of Dreams” build it and they will come. The biggest thing holding back most clubs or clubs from forming is a field to “play” on and openness to many forms of “play”.

Even for me where there are three clubs, the closest is still an hour drive away and the furthest is five hours away. R/C tanks are a small niche hobby, but this is starting to change thanks in part to the new generation of 6.0 HL tanks with their lower cost and ease of modifications to bring them up to hobby grade status.

Also the face of the hobby is changing and we are seeing young people coming in. The younger generation is more about “faster” R/C battling action and modern tanks then the slower WW2 tanks ( thank you video games ). The modeling and historical aspect is very low on their radar. This does cause some disconnect with them from the old school guys. Trust me I see it all too often. I am both, an older guy but I love the faster battling action of modern tanks. The point to all the above, clubs need to be open to the new generations ideas and be open to some change or be left behind to slowly disappear instead of growing and expanding.

I am fortunate enough to have my own field/course to drive, test the limits and experiment with tanks. I often open my course up to others so they can push the limits of their tanks or test out new battling strategies. Most of my guest are members of one of the three clubs or newer tankers in their teens to 20 somethings that want to just drive and not be concerned about rules and club etiquettes. I work with them to learn and understand the importance of club etiquettes and encourage them to attend club events. It’s a slooow process but many do and join in eventually.

Each person kinda has to make the tank hobby work for them and find what makes it fun and worth wild. That may be you building a small ever changing obstacles course / field to challenge yourself or starting some local fun tank driving days to build interest that may develop into a club.

Comment

Originally posted by dai phan View Post
          Hello all,

The nearest R/C Tank club is almost 3 hours away. This hobby involves interaction with others to make it fun. I must admit it is kind of boring playing alone. Any suggestions? Dai
          It would help to tell us where you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudinater View Post

It would help to tell us where you are.
            Columbia SC.

Comment

I'm the same here, so I've decided to start a local chapter here in Olympia WA. Still trying to put the information out at the LHS. I contacted the store manager and there's definitely an uptick in Tanks sales here in my AO.

Comment

I just went to local hobby shop and see what they had. Unfortunately for most budgets they only carried Tamiya. In July they have a big customer appreciation event so I am planning on taking a couple of my tanks, one modern and a WW2. Trying to communicate with those on this website to determine interest in gathering among current hobbyists. It will take time, and a piece of land, we can go from there. The hobby shop did carry 1/35th Tamiya but because of cost, not interested in the larger breeds. Said that there was a person who had a 1/6 Tiger for $400. Would love to find him.

Comment

Originally posted by Broffermoon View Post
                  I just went to local hobby shop and see what they had. Unfortunately for most budgets they only carried Tamiya. In July they have a big customer appreciation event so I am planning on taking a couple of my tanks, one modern and a WW2. Trying to communicate with those on this website to determine interest in gathering among current hobbyists. It will take time, and a piece of land, we can go from there. The hobby shop did carry 1/35th Tamiya but because of cost, not interested in the larger breeds. Said that there was a person who had a 1/6 Tiger for $400. Would love to find him.
                  1/6 Tiger for 400? Must be a plastic kit then. Dai

Comment

Working...
                  X