You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestion for a new HL Tank ( or any ).

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion for a new HL Tank ( or any ).

Hello all,

I have the HL Leopard and I am considering getting another tank so when my friends come over we can do IR battles. Please suggest a good one that is proven to be reliable over the years. I really like the HL Challenger because of its size comparable to the Leopard so is that a good choice? Also does metal track worth the extra bucks? Thanks Dai

On the big modern tanks I recommend not getting the metal tracks. It seems to me that the tanks flex too much and are prone to de-track easily. The plastic tracks will slip and give during maneuvers and stay on. I removed the metal tracks on my Challenger II and converted them to plastic. But I kept the metal sprocket and Idler. Much happier.

I like the metal tracks on any of the WWII tanks. IMO The most overall reliable tank is the Sherman. The KV1 is a close second.

Comment

Quality aftermarket metal tracks on a modern tank like the Abrams, Challenger, Leopard, T72/90 or ZTZ99 are a MUST if one wants durability and increased traction. The Heng Long metal tracks are tough, but sub par in reliability and traction to every aftermarket modern track offering.

With the new adjustable idlers all the 6.0 modern tanks have one should not have many issues with de tracking of aftermarket tracks as long as proper tension is maintained.

Comment

Maybe a hybrid track with alternating plastic, and metal links would be the best of both........

Comment

Hi all

I went on EB and see that Mato metal track for the T90 is over 100 USD ! Dai

Comment

Greetings...

I ordered the T90 metal track 6.0 and it will arrive this week. I really like the T90 because it has so many details. I need to order a better battery pack. What are the specs that I need? Thanks Dai

Comment

Originally posted by dai phan View Post
              Hi all

I went on EB and see that Mato metal track for the T90 is over 100 USD ! Dai
              HL tracks are not that much cheaper then Mato or Toucan (DLKM) metal tracks. With tracks it’s the old saying “buy once cry once”. Having bought the HL metal track sets and aftermarket track sets for not only the T90/72, but most of HLs products line, it is worth every penny to buy the aftermarket ones right up front. Because you will end up buying them anyways if you truly want the smoothest function, durability, reliability and off road performance gains.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

HL tracks are not that much cheaper then Mato or Toucan (DLKM) metal tracks. With tracks it’s the old saying “buy once cry once”. Having bought the HL metal track sets and aftermarket track sets for not only the T90/72, but most of HLs products line, it is worth every penny to buy the aftermarket ones right up front. Because you will end up buying them anyways if you truly want the smoothest function, durability, reliability and off road performance gains.
                So if I plan to replace the track on the T90, it is better to buy the plastic version then buy the Mato metal tracks? I understand the metal track version of the T90 has more then just the tracks in metal right? Dai

Comment

Originally posted by dai phan View Post

So if I plan to replace the track on the T90, it is better to buy the plastic version then buy the Mato metal tracks? I understand the metal track version of the T90 has more then just the tracks in metal right? Dai
                  I would buy the plastic version with steel gearbox. Then replace the tracks, sprockets and idler wheels with a quality aftermarket set.

Later if needed you can add the HL metal road wheels. Though the new design of metal control arms and tighter fitting road wheels do hold up so much better then the prior 5.3 versions did. One of my 6.0 T72/90s is running plastic wheels and I am impressed at the improvements made in this area by HL.

Comment

Working...
                  X