X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Torro tanks worth buying?

I see Torro tanks are metal and more than double the price of HL. Worth it? Thanks Dai

Originally posted by dai phan View Post
    I see Torro tanks are metal and more than double the price of HL. Worth it? Thanks Dai
    Yes and No. All depends on what you are looking for and how you plan on using the tank.

Many of their parts are stock HL or are direct fit with HL tanks.

Tagien WW2 tanks usually have a much nicer paint jobs then HL WW2 tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

Yes and No. All depends on what you are looking for and how you plan on using the tank.

Many of their parts are stock HL or are direct fit with HL tanks.

Tagien WW2 tanks usually have a much nicer paint jobs then HL WW2 tanks.
      I look at Taigen tanks on Amazon but all have BB rather than IR. I want to do IR battles so BB does nothing for me. Dai

Comment

I look at Taigen tanks on Amazon but all have BB rather than IR. I want to do IR battles so BB does nothing for me. Dai
        You have to convert them to IR. Which means a new MFU and IR receivers and emitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

You have to convert them to IR. Which means a new MFU and IR receivers and emitter.
          Isn't IR the standard these days? Conversion means at least 150 more bucks on a 450 dollar tank! Dai

Comment

Isn't IR the standard these days? Conversion means at least 150 more bucks on a 450 dollar tank! Dai
            It is for HL and Tamiya but not Taigen. The Taigen MFU is not compatible with either HL or Tamiya battle systems and in stock form can’t fight with them.

So yes you will have to add at least $100 to the price to make a stock Taigen IR compatible.

Comment

I like Taigen tanks. They're heavy, well built, but the electronics lack a bit. I buy their kits, then build it the way I want. Why would you order one on amazon or anywhere other than directly from Taigen, https://www.taigentanks.com ?

BTW: A Mako board, (less than 30.00 http://rctanksaustralia.com/store/in...&products_id=2), will convert the Taigen and older Heng Long to Tamiya compatibility, but will still not match the flexibility, sound, etc. from a board like IBU2U, (my favorite).

Comment

Originally posted by BcuriousR View Post
                I like Taigen tanks. They're heavy, well built, but the electronics lack a bit. I buy their kits, then build it the way I want. Why would you order one on amazon or anywhere other than directly from Taigen?
                The reason being no hassle return. I really like the metal so I would like to try one and see. Too bad they are not IR compatible with HL. Dai

Comment

The reason being no hassle return. I really like the metal so I would like to try one and see. Too bad they are not IR compatible with HL. Dai
                  Erik at Taigen is a good guy, tanker, and goes out of his way to support the hobby. You would be better served to go to the source. Just my opinion. I've bought, built, and sold a few tanks over the years and in this niche hobby, good resources like Erik at Taigen, Ian at RCTankElectronics, and Kevin at RCTanksAustralia, are hard to find.

Can you specifically name anyone at amazon or even Heng Long that will personally handle your tank/purchase or follow you through troubleshooting?

Comment

Originally posted by BcuriousR View Post

Erik at Taigen is a good guy, tanker, and goes out of his way to support the hobby. You would be better served to go to the source. Just my opinion. I've bought, built, and sold a few tanks over the years and in this niche hobby, good resources like Erik at Taigen, Ian at RCTankElectronics, and Kevin at RCTanksAustralia, are hard to find.

Can you specifically name anyone at amazon or even Heng Long that will personally handle your tank/purchase or follow you through troubleshooting?
                    I look at the Taigen site and I can choose the option of IR as a RTR package. I have 3 HL tanks ( Leopard, Challenger, T-90) and look for one more. What do you suggest as a Taigen tank? Dai

Comment

What do you think? Since I have 3 HLs already, maybe a metal one will be a good choice?

https://www.taigentanks.com/collecti...-metal-edition

https://www.taigentanks.com/collecti...35669561901223

Comment

I look at the Taigen site and I can choose the option of IR as a RTR package. I have 3 HL tanks ( Leopard, Challenger, T-90) and look for one more. What do you suggest as a Taigen tank? Dai
                        Stock Taigen IR systems are NOT compatible with HL or Tamiya. The Mako add on conversation system is unreliable with very limited range. At our battle days because of the spotty performance of the Mako to Taigen conversation and lack of range, they are limited to were and when then can engage other tanks. IMO not worth the time and money.

The Taigen tanks are high quality, but to reliability battle them with other makes you really need to swap out to a Tamiya compatible MFU like the HL 6.0/1, Clark T? , IBU2 or event the super expensive Tamiya MFUs.

Comment

I look at the Torro tanks. They look very similar to HL. Aren't they metalized versions? Dai

Comment

Working...
                          X