Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haya Chieftain

Hello all,

Last night I was doing some research on what to get in my 6th tank ( in a month!) and I came across the Haya Chieftain. Here is my thoughts... It has more details and features than Heng Long contemporary offerings like Leopard, Abrams, Challenger, 6.1 board but still plastic body. A price of over 800 USD for a plastic tank/metal tracks just does not justify the cost. With that price I would expect a metal body like Mato. I think asking 450-500 USD is more reasonable. Do you think that tank with metal tracks worth 800 USD? Dai

Originally posted by dai phan View Post
    Hello all,

Last night I was doing some research on what to get in my 6th tank ( in a month!) and I came across the Haya Chieftain. Here is my thoughts... It has more details and features than Heng Long contemporary offerings like Leopard, Abrams, Challenger, 6.1 board but still plastic body. A price of over 800 USD for a plastic tank/metal tracks just does not justify the cost. With that price I would expect a metal body like Mato. I think asking 450-500 USD is more reasonable. Do you think that tank with metal tracks worth 800 USD? Dai
    It uses ALL HengLong sourced “rebranded” running gear, electronics and even manuals. There is at this time NO metal suspension or road wheels available for it. This means a short outdoor driving life and the suspension is simply plastic on rolling plastic. HL stopped this practice with the introduction of the 6.0 tanks because of the wear issues.

It is a cool looking tank and when it’s new runs well. But it is in no way worth the high $$$$ Haya is asking for it IMO. Would you pay $800 for a HL tank with all plastic wheels and suspension, standard gearbox and a 6.1 system? Because in all actuality that is what you are buying.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

It uses ALL HengLong sourced “rebranded” running gear, electronics and even manuals. There is at this time NO metal suspension or road wheels available for it. This means a short outdoor driving life and the suspension is simply plastic on rolling plastic. HL stopped this practice with the introduction of the 6.0 tanks because of the wear issues.

It is a cool looking tank and when it’s new runs well. But it is in no way worth the high $$$$ Haya is asking for it IMO. Would you pay $800 for a HL tank with all plastic wheels and suspension, standard gearbox and a 6.1 system? Because in all actuality that is what you are buying.
      That is why I cannot justify the price. Heck, at that price an all metal Mato or Tamiya kit is way more justifiable and then save some ! I really wonder if they sell enough units to make even a profit or break even ! Dai

Comment

Haya is at least doing well enough to be working on their next model, which is a Centurion. That will almost certainly have bearings in the road wheels, since Haya is aware of the complaints about the plastic-on-plastic nature of the Chieftains current running gear

I think it's a really nice tank, honestly. There are a lot of small refinements in the design (like how you separate the hull halves), and a bunch of small QoL features that make a notable difference in how enjoyable it is to use and maintain. It's just really such a bummer that they did what they did with the running gear :/

Comment

Working...
        X