Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taigen JS-2 . A newbie perspective

Hello all,

With eager anticipation that I got my Taigen JS2 today. This is my 7th tank and I wanted it to be a metal ( or almost metal ) so I have something different in my collection. Since I am new to the hobby, my assement IS naieve in nature but here are my takes...

PRO:

1. Heavy metal feel. It feels "realistic" when I pick it up.
    2. Porportional smoke system.
    3. Good engineering on the latch. It makes opening the tank a breeze.
    4. The turret reverses when reaching end of travel. Less chance of gears stripping.

CON:

1. Appaling tank crew. This is a Russian tank with a comical German Panther painted crew. I find it unaceptable on a 600 dollar tank.
    2. Appalling tie down cables. I am not an expert in tank but I do not recall any tank cables with shinny tin colored ropes. Again unacceptable on a 600 dollar tank.
    3. Poor execution of the head light. There is a cable connecting the light to the inside of the tank with all colors exposed. Looks very toyish.

I drove the tank and I do not see any big improvements over my 6 HL tanks. Appearance wise, no difference that addition of metal parts make. When looking side by side with my HL tanks, the JS 2 offers no distinct advantages in looks being mostly metal. So what do I think? I think the addition of metal parts on the Taigen just does not justify the price that costs twice of the HL. The driving is no different than my other 6 HLs and no cosmetic advantages are noted. For a 600 dollar tank, I thought Taigen would at least include a better crew like Torro offerings and at least do away with the ultra unrealistic toyish tie down cables. I am glad that I bought the Taigen so at least I know what I am getting. Is it worth it? In my opinion, NO. At least with my experience on the JS-2. Dai
    Attached Files

Originally posted by dai phan View Post
    Hello all,

With eager anticipation that I got my Taigen JS2 today. This is my 7th tank and I wanted it to be a metal ( or almost metal ) so I have something different in my collection. Since I am new to the hobby, my assement IS naieve in nature but here are my takes...

PRO:

1. Heavy metal feel. It feels "realistic" when I pick it up.
    2. Porportional smoke system.
    3. Good engineering on the latch. It makes opening the tank a breeze.
    4. The turret reverses when reaching end of travel. Less chance of gears stripping.

CON:

1. Appaling tank crew. This is a Russian tank with a comical German Panther painted crew. I find it unaceptable on a 600 dollar tank.
    2. Appalling tie down cables. I am not an expert in tank but I do not recall any tank cables with shinny tin colored ropes. Again unacceptable on a 600 dollar tank.
    3. Poor execution of the head light. There is a cable connecting the light to the inside of the tank with all colors exposed. Looks very toyish.

I drove the tank and I do not see any big improvements over my 6 HL tanks. Appearance wise, no difference that addition of metal parts make. When looking side by side with my HL tanks, the JS 2 offers no distinct advantages in looks being mostly metal. So what do I think? I think the addition of metal parts on the Taigen just does not justify the price that costs twice of the HL. The driving is no different than my other 6 HLs and no cosmetic advantages are noted. For a 600 dollar tank, I thought Taigen would at least include a better crew like Torro offerings and at least do away with the ultra unrealistic toyish tie down cables. I am glad that I bought the Taigen so at least I know what I am getting. Is it worth it? In my opinion, NO. At least with my experience on the JS-2. Dai
    And why ^^^^^^ many of us pass on Taigen/Torro tanks (same company) and go straight to Tamiya tanks when looking at a “hobby grade” JS2 or Tigers.

Taigen like HL do look better when repainted, weathered and improved accessories are added. Your JS2 does have some features not found in its closet HL rival the KV1. Though they share the same tracks, road wheels, sprockets and idlers, the JS2 has an adjustable idler and the KV1 does not. Also your JS2 came with a 4:1 bearing gearboxes not a 3:1 bushing gearboxes. 4:1 is better suited to the heavy WWII tanks.

The V3 radio system Taigen uses was superior to the old HL 5.2/3 systems but the HL 6.0/1 have set a new standard for RTR tanks and Taigen has not yet caught up. IMEX/Taigen knows this and I suspect that is why they offer HL 6.1 systems for sale on their website for conversion use.

I think in time you will come to really like the JS2. Especially once you change out the MFU to a HL 6.0/1 or something else. The JS2 and the HL KV1 like to be run hard and can take one hell of a beating, turn around and then ask for more.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

And why ^^^^^^ many of us pass on Taigen/Torro tanks (same company) and go straight to Tamiya tanks when looking at a “hobby grade” JS2 or Tigers.

Taigen like HL do look better when repainted, weathered and improved accessories are added. Your JS2 does have some features not found in its closet HL rival the KV1. Though they share the same tracks, road wheels, sprockets and idlers, the JS2 has an adjustable idler and the KV1 does not. Also your JS2 came with a 4:1 bearing gearboxes not a 3:1 bushing gearboxes. 4:1 is better suited to the heavy WWII tanks.

The V3 radio system Taigen uses was superior to the old HL 5.2/3 systems but the HL 6.0/1 have set a new standard for RTR tanks and Taigen has not yet caught up. IMEX/Taigen knows this and I suspect that is why they offer HL 6.1 systems for sale on their website for conversion use.

I think in time you will come to really like the JS2. Especially once you change out the MFU to a HL 6.0/1 or something else. The JS2 and the HL KV1 like to be run hard and can take one hell of a beating, turn around and then ask for more.
      Thank you for your thoughtful response. I ran the JS2 few more times and I must admit, I like the driving on the HL 6.0 better. Is changing out the MFU to HL 6.1 easy? I am going on EB and check out the board now. Dai

PS: Just placed an order for HL KV1.

Comment

Thank you for your thoughtful response. I ran the JS2 few more times and I must admit, I like the driving on the HL 6.0 better. Is changing out the MFU to HL 6.1 easy? I am going on EB and check out the board now. Dai

PS: Just placed an order for HL KV1.
        Changing out the MFU to a 6.1 is relatively easy. It would take me no more then 20 min start to finish.

Comment

Changing out the MFU to a 6.1 is relatively easy. It would take me no more then 20 min start to finish.
          I assume I must get the HL radio too ? Dai

Comment

Greetings...

Few more thoughts on the JS-2. Taigen radio is lagging behind the HL in features. There is no different sound sets to choose from and the volume control cannot be adjusted from the TX. Also recoil levels cannot be changed. Dai

Comment

I assume I must get the HL radio too ? Dai
              You dont strictly speaking need a new HL transmitter, you can just bind a transmitter from one of your other HL 6.0 system tanks. Of the 10 tanks I have, 7 are 9 years old pre5.3 systems that were converted to 6.0 and are ran off of either of the 3 6.0 transmitters I have from tanks I bought from Motion RC. gets to be a drag keeping all those transmitters fed with AAs + having to cart around a transmitter for each tank you want to play around with, so its nice that you dont have to if you dont want.

Comment

Originally posted by Vaseline View Post

You dont strictly speaking need a new HL transmitter, you can just bind a transmitter from one of your other HL 6.0 system tanks. Of the 10 tanks I have, 7 are 9 years old pre5.3 systems that were converted to 6.0 and are ran off of either of the 3 6.0 transmitters I have from tanks I bought from Motion RC. gets to be a drag keeping all those transmitters fed with AAs + having to cart around a transmitter for each tank you want to play around with, so its nice that you dont have to if you dont want.
                Hauling all those TXs is pain in the ass. I will use one of my HL TXs and bind to the Taigen. Dai

Comment

Just drove around the JS 2 some more and I like the much quicker spin than the HL tanks. Great for IR battles but I do not think it is a scale move. Dai

Comment

Just drove around the JS 2 some more and I like the much quicker spin than the HL tanks. Great for IR battles but I do not think it is a scale move. Dai
                    Quicker spin? Do you mean the turret rotation or track turning?

Turret rotation on all HL tanks can be increased either with higher voltage batteries or with a metal aftermarket high speed turret rotation gearbox.

Track spin can also be increased with 390 motors and or higher voltage batteries.

Both of these are very common and mostly excepted in club IR battling as long as one is safe when using the added speed making sure not to touch or impact another tank or field props.

Comment

Quicker spin? Do you mean the turret rotation or track turning?

Turret rotation on all HL tanks can be increased either with higher voltage batteries or with a metal aftermarket high speed turret rotation gearbox.

Track spin can also be increased with 390 motors and or higher voltage batteries.

Both of these are very common and mostly excepted in club IR battling as long as one is safe when using the added speed making sure not to touch or impact another tank or field props.
                      I am talking about track turning. The JS2 turns so quick that makes Bruce Lee looks like a turtle! Dai

Comment

I am talking about track turning. The JS2 turns so quick that makes Bruce Lee looks like a turtle! Dai
                        That is referred to in the hobby as “super spin”. HL with the old 5.2/3 systems could do it really well. With the new 6.0 they have lost the ability to really do a fast “super spin”.

Comment

That is referred to in the hobby as “super spin”. HL with the old 5.2/3 systems could do it really well. With the new 6.0 they have lost the ability to really do a fast “super spin”.
                          Why is this feature dropped? Unscale? Dai

Comment

Why is this feature dropped? Unscale? Dai
                            Unpopular with the “hobby” crowd and HL is trying to move more into the “hobby grade” level vs being just considered a toy line of tanks.

It is also very “unscale”.

Comment

Unpopular with the “hobby” crowd and HL is trying to move more into the “hobby grade” level vs being just considered a toy line of tanks.

It is also very “unscale”.
                              HL can move into the hobby grade with better execution of scale fidelity. I have been doing Kung Fu moves with my JS2 and it is kind of fun ! Dai

Comment

With all due respect, and considering my own economic resources, If I am going to pay the amounts of money that Tamiya charges for their tanks then I would rather upgrade to a 1/6th scale tank not ignoring that such tanks typically start at 3500 dollars. I have a Taigen metal tiger and I have Heng Long as well in tigers and others but hands down the Taigen is my favorite and has never given me problems

Comment

Originally posted by jmdove View Post

With all due respect, and considering my own economic resources, If I am going to pay the amounts of money that Tamiya charges for their tanks then I would rather upgrade to a 1/6th scale tank not ignoring that such tanks typically start at 3500 dollars. I have a Taigen metal tiger and I have Heng Long as well in tigers and others but hands down the Taigen is my favorite and has never given me problems
                                  On average Tamiya tanks cost between $600 and $1200 delivered (you have to know where to look) or roughly $400 - $500 more then Taigen tanks. That money buys a lot more then just a basic tank and is especially cost effective should one want to participate in club IR battling where full IR battle protocols are required. To truly bring a HL or Taigen tank up to the same level of performance as a Tamiya one will spend very close to the cost of what a Tamiya tank would have been in the first place and still just barely have equal performance.

Got it you like 1/6 better then 1/16 that is your right and they are cool to watch run, but what is the going price for a 1/6 JS-2, Tiger, King Tiger, M4 with HVSS, M26, KV1, Panther , M51, Abrams, Leopard 2, Type10 and so on? $3500 is more like a very basic 1/10 scale not 1/6. Try closer to $7000- $15,000 with few spare parts and little support, not to mention very few tank types options to choose from.

We all have our favorites and through enough money at a given model can make it something special or not.

Comment

On average Tamiya tanks cost between $600 and $1200 delivered (you have to know where to look) or roughly $400 - $500 more then Taigen tanks. That money buys a lot more then just a basic tank and is especially cost effective should one want to participate in club IR battling where full IR battle protocols are required. To truly bring a HL or Taigen tank up to the same level of performance as a Tamiya one will spend very close to the cost of what a Tamiya tank would have been in the first place and still just barely have equal performance.

Got it you like 1/6 better then 1/16 that is your right and they are cool to watch run, but what is the going price for a 1/6 JS-2, Tiger, King Tiger, M4 with HVSS, M26, KV1, Panther , M51, Abrams, Leopard 2, Type10 and so on? $3500 is more like a very basic 1/10 scale not 1/6. Try closer to $7000- $15,000 with few spare parts and little support, not to mention very few tank types options to choose from.

We all have our favorites and through enough money at a given model can make it something special or not.

I am a very experienced static model builder so I can easily tackle Tamiya tanks. However, as worth it as it can be for some, I just cannot justify 1K on a kit while there are others not as good but within reasonable cost like HL or Taigen. I think Tamiya kits are way over priced. Dai

Comment

Well consider a Trumpeter 1/16 static model tank of...say im looking at a Panzer IV F2 on a site, its $297.42 which Trumpeter kits are quite good they generally arnt as detailed as Tamiya kits and price reflects this, add PE parts, an aluminum lower hull, for arguments sake well say thats probably worth 80-$120 itself, a real working steel torsion bar suspention, and then youve got the electric running gear to RC-ify the model....all said yeah its a high price point, but while I cant justify the cost either, I wouldnt call them overpriced. That being said, Its super fun to take a $200 Henglong, beat the hell out of it, and or kitbash it into something wild and crazy and its not as painful or give you pause like a $800-1000 Tamiya kit will.

Comment

I'll agree with Vaseline on the Tamiya vs henglong, I own a HLM1A2 and my mate has the Tamiya m1a2, guess which one he prefers to run. He is too worried about knocking off the details on the Tamiya. Which I admit is a great model

Comment

Working...
                                        X