X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IR receiver not working after 360 conversion

I have a Heng Long Abrams 6.0 with metal sprockets, treads, steel gearbox and gears, metal barrel. I did the 360 conversion, both gear and slipper ring. Today my buddy and I had our first tank battle and I was able to disable his Walker Bulldog numerous times. Upon further testing, we discovered that my IR receiver was not working and we tried switching receivers to no affect. I have opened my tank and I discovered that the wire from the slipper ring that plugs into CN16 has only 2 wires going into a 3pin plug while the connection in the turret has 3 wires red, black, and white . It appears that is the cause of my IR receiver not working. I have continuity red to purple and white to brown, but a connection for black is missing. Has anyone else had this problem? Did they supply the wrong slipper ring? Do I need to run an additional wire directly to solve this issue?

Thanks for your help!
    Eric

Originally posted by 366TFW View Post
    I have a Heng Long Abrams 6.0 with metal sprockets, treads, steel gearbox and gears, metal barrel. I did the 360 conversion, both gear and slipper ring. Today my buddy and I had our first tank battle and I was able to disable his Walker Bulldog numerous times. Upon further testing, we discovered that my IR receiver was not working and we tried switching receivers to no affect. I have opened my tank and I discovered that the wire from the slipper ring that plugs into CN16 has only 2 wires going into a 3pin plug while the connection in the turret has 3 wires red, black, and white . It appears that is the cause of my IR receiver not working. I have continuity red to purple and white to brown, but a connection for black is missing. Has anyone else had this problem? Did they supply the wrong slipper ring? Do I need to run an additional wire directly to solve this issue?

Thanks for your help!
    Eric
    Sound like a defective slip ring.

Myself and many others have found the slip rings cause more issues then they solve. We just extend the turret wires to provide for three or four full rotations and if the turret is rotation a full 360 one way or another we just rotate it back the other direction.

Heck even the expensive Tamiya tanks don’t use slip rings in their 360 turrets, just extended wiring.

I would say just run a separate line to the slot on the MFI for the IR receiver. You will need to do this anyways when you upgrade the IR receiver to one that actually works reliably past 20ft.

Comment

This solved my problem too! Thanks! Do you have a link to the upgraded receiver?

Comment

Working...
      X