Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting metal running gear.

Hi fellow tankers.
    I have a Heng long Tiger 1 in grey. It came with metal gearbox, sprockets, idlers, and tracks. I just got the metal road wheels. I want to paint all the metal parts. What is the best way to paint the tracks? I was just thinking of a rattle can of brown primer would do the trick. After a couple laps around the sandy back yard the growsers should be back to bare metal.
    Some of the torsion springs seem stronger than others. Is there an aftermarket spring kit for this model?
    Thank you.

I used rustoleum automotive primer on the wheels and sprockets. Clean them first. Then top coated with Model Masters Grau RM66. The tracks I used Gun Metal Bluing paste from permatex Works great. Looks super authentic and doesn't really rub off like paint. Doesn't corrode like vinegar dipping or AK Model Burnisher.
    Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

Thank you.
      I was considering a chemical blackening but I am pushing for a rust color with bare growsers. I'm getting up the courage to do a heavy weathering giving the impression of a tank needing a break from the action.

Comment

This is brown paint on metal tracks, driven around on pavement for the highlights.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Panzer III 11.JPG
Views:	908
Size:	381.1 KB
ID:	294655
        Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

That's the look I'm looking for. Nicely done.

Comment

Besides blackening there is this from Birchwood Casey (Looks like a good solution. I tried it but I didn't follow the directions...gonna try again on the next tracks.):

Comment

Name:	Half textured.jpg
Views:	686
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	295065

Comment

I added a bit of rust-colored oil paint and a bit of a black wash (oil paint again). I am debating adding Zimmerit using Unibond. Not sure if I want to risk a bad slop job. Still need to add steel texture to the hull. I think it's extreme but I decided for pure fun I wouldn't be a rivet counter. Maybe on the next build. I also am debating cutting a few fender panels off but as any H-L King Tiger owner knows the body has a gap that is covered by the fenders. I worry about flex from the putty that will be needed to seal the gaps around whatever plastic stock I add.

Comment

That is looking real good. I'm not sure if I will go all out. I don't think so. I mainly wanted to cover the bare metal wheel, and tracks. I may dig out the air brush and do some weathering and maybe some machine gun damage and minor damage.
                  I'm definitely not a rivet counter. I did that once and it took all the enjoyment out of the project. I took an HO scale brass locomotive to a specific date in time using photos from the same date. Sourcing parts, and making others, painting, lettering, making builders plates, number boards, and pin stripes. It took several years and I never wanted to run it afterwards. I didn't have the heart to weather it so it looks like it just rolled out the door. Just good enough is more enjoyable and I don't feel bad if something happens.
                  Thank you.

Comment

I can share the coloring of my tanks, I hope their appearance will help you somehow.Click image for larger version  Name:	images.jpg Views:	0 Size:	12.7 KB ID:	295265

Comment

Could you please take some close ups? Your tanks are rather hard to see in this picture.

Comment

Yeah those look cool! I want to see closer as well

Comment

Just in case anybody is curious what Panzer tracks look like, these were taken of a Panzer IV at MVTF in San Jose, CA. Unfortunately, the museum is no longer there. The tracks on the right belong to a Panzer 1A. You can wash off dirt from a tank, but you can't remove rust!

Name:	Panzer IV 02.JPG
Views:	721
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	295386
                          Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

When I was stationed at Ft. Knox I spent some time at the Patton museum. All the tracked vehicles were clean and painted. Even the tracks were painted. Sadly I never took any pictures and my memory struggles with details from almost fifty years ago. I do remember a very large tank parked outside the museum. I think it was a King Tiger or it could have been a Mouse prototype. They did have some Jagpanzers inside.

Comment

I understand that the US army ordnance museum is gone. That is very sad. I visited there in 1980. The big guns were very impressive and all the tanks and gun carriages were outstanding. Why are we erasing history?

Comment

Originally posted by Wrench567 View Post
                                I understand that the US army ordnance museum is gone. That is very sad. I visited there in 1980. The big guns were very impressive and all the tanks and gun carriages were outstanding. Why are we erasing history?
                                I visited the Aberdeen museum sometime in the 70's. Very impressive, but I was amazed at how much real tanks resembled heavy construction equipment. I really don't know why, but somehow I never expected that, never having been near real tanks before......

Comment

Originally posted by Cascabel View Post

I visited the Aberdeen museum sometime in the 70's. Very impressive, but I was amazed at how much real tanks resembled heavy construction equipment. I really don't know why, but somehow I never expected that, never having been near real tanks before......
                                  Yea, just replace con with de actually. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by RogerBrown View Post
                                    I can share the coloring of my tanks, I hope their appearance will help you somehow.Click image for larger version Name:	images.jpg Views:	0 Size:	12.7 KB ID:	295265
                                    Please share higher res or close ups! These look killer!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wrench567 View Post
                                      When I was stationed at Ft. Knox I spent some time at the Patton museum. All the tracked vehicles were clean and painted. Even the tracks were painted. Sadly I never took any pictures and my memory struggles with details from almost fifty years ago. I do remember a very large tank parked outside the museum. I think it was a King Tiger or it could have been a Mouse prototype. They did have some Jagpanzers inside.
                                      The one outside was a painted Tiger II. Inside they have a cutaway (NOOO!!!) of another Tiger II. Outside there also the enormous T28:
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Hypersloth.
                                        . That is what I remember most is the tandem tracks. That thing must weigh 90 tons of more. I don't remember a cut away Tiger. There was several tanks outside. Patton's staff car was inside along with a jeep, 2 1/2 ton, an M4 and stuff. Is the Patton museum still operating? It's been almost 50 years since I was there.
                                        They were testing the M1 Abrams. I actually had to trailer it to the furthest range (Yano) because it wouldn't go more than a few miles without breaking down. I also had to use our M816 wrecker to swap gun tubes several times. Tankers would tell me they would prefer the M60 over the M1 any day. The first batch was horrible. Always breaking down and dead batteries after one hour of sitting still. The alternator was driven by the transmission. It had to be moving to keep the batteries charged. With all the electronics, A/C, turret motors, and stuff. It didn't take long to kill the batteries. Some of the first ones were fitted with a diesel generator hanging off the back to keep them alive.
                                        Thank you for the picture.

Comment

Working...
                                        X