X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to convert Tamiya 4YWD transmitter to Henglong Style

After owning 2 HL tanks I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on buying Tamiya tank but I really love the Henglong style controller and I never own a Tamiya RC before so buying a seperate Transmitter etc is foreign to me.

1. HL have separate button machine gun and turret while Tamiya you need to switch trim and press up and down to do this, which makes moving and shooting Tamiya tanks difficult.
    2. HL style of LEFT analog for Turret RIGHT analog for Movement control I find much easier, maybe it's because what I'm used to now, I tried Tamiya style setup with the HL and find it difficult to control.

I've googled a lot and still can't find answer to this, I think at least the movement and turret controls can be switched to HL style via the DMD unit programming but can anyone confirm.

Seems like the 4YWD is missing the extra buttons required for machine gun and turret, what other Transmitter is compatible with Tamiya tanks?

Originally posted by Dug180 View Post
    After owning 2 HL tanks I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on buying Tamiya tank but I really love the Henglong style controller and I never own a Tamiya RC before so buying a seperate Transmitter etc is foreign to me.

1. HL have separate button machine gun and turret while Tamiya you need to switch trim and press up and down to do this, which makes moving and shooting Tamiya tanks difficult.
    2. HL style of LEFT analog for Turret RIGHT analog for Movement control I find much easier, maybe it's because what I'm used to now, I tried Tamiya style setup with the HL and find it difficult to control.

I've googled a lot and still can't find answer to this, I think at least the movement and turret controls can be switched to HL style via the DMD unit programming but can anyone confirm.

Seems like the 4YWD is missing the extra buttons required for machine gun and turret, what other Transmitter is compatible with Tamiya tanks?
    Short answer is YES. All 8 of Tamiya tanks use the HL style of driving and can fire off a single button or flick of the gun elevation stick ( main gun flick up, MG flick down). All you have to do is plug the control lines into the RX channels you want to use for each operation. Super easy the second time you do it....LOL

Tamiya tank MFUs are compatible with the vast majority of TX/RX on the market. I use Spectrum DX_ radios because they have an option for self centering left sticks. Most TX don’t have this without a modification to the internals. If you want to drive using the HL stick layout then you will need a self centering left stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

Short answer is YES. All 8 of Tamiya tanks use the HL style of driving and can fire off a single button or flick of the gun elevation stick ( main gun flick up, MG flick down). All you have to do is plug the control lines into the RX channels you want to use for each operation. Super easy the second time you do it....LOL

Tamiya tank MFUs are compatible with the vast majority of TX/RX on the market. I use Spectrum DX_ radios because they have an option for self centering left sticks. Most TX don’t have this without a modification to the internals. If you want to drive using the HL stick layout then you will need a self centering left stick.
      thank you, for the explanation, I guess any brand will work with tamiya, I though I had to use a specific model.

If I want a dedicated Gun and Turret button would I need to get a 6 channel type transmitter or a 4 channel with extra buttons, what's a good value transmitter, they seem to vary in prices and I don't know what I'm paying for with some of the more expensive ones.

Comment

is it possible to just use Henglong transmitter and receiver? that would be good :)

Comment

is it possible to just use Henglong transmitter and receiver? that would be good :)
          You can use a complete HL MFU and TX if you wanted. Just buy one of the HL 6.1s systems and it will run any dual gearbox Tamiya tank along with servo recoil/elevation. In fact in most cases you will have a better handling tank by using the HL MFU vs the Tamiya factory system. Oh and you can use the stock HL transmitter with its factory stick and gun set ups.

One thing you will not have is the complete Tamiya battle system protocols. Not a big issue and can be mostly worked around using improved aftermarket IR receivers. If IR battling is not a big thing for you then by all means take a serious look at the HL 6.1 system.

Now I know Tamiya guys are on fire right now, but truth is the truth. The 6.0-6.1 HL systems just handle better then the Tamiyas. I have both and by far the new 6.0/1 systems are simply impressive in their smoothness and ease of driving.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post
            One thing you will not have is the complete Tamiya battle system protocols. Not a big issue and can be mostly worked around using improved aftermarket IR receivers. If IR battling is not a big thing for you then by all means take a serious look at the HL 6.1 system.
            Yea that would be a real shame, I really like Tamiya build quality and battle system but I want the HL control system, it's way easier to drive the tanks and shoot. But HL IR system is terrible for outdoor and a bit faulty sometimes.

I can't seem to find a good transmitter with Buttons at the top like HL transmitter, it's usually flip switches, would prefer buttons.

Comment

Yea that would be a real shame, I really like Tamiya build quality and battle system but I want the HL control system, it's way easier to drive the tanks and shoot. But HL IR system is terrible for outdoor and a bit faulty sometimes.

I can't seem to find a good transmitter with Buttons at the top like HL transmitter, it's usually flip switches, would prefer buttons.
              Actual the HL IR system is as good as Tamiya’s in the all important areas of “being hit and sending hits”, IF you dump the stock IR receiver and add the LegoDEI IR receiver. At which point you have greater range (if using the HL bulb) and take hits as well even in bright sunlight and at ranges exceeding 75 feet.

Yes you do not have tank class, damage speed reduction or rate of fire limits, but these features can be mitigated by manual limits placed on the operator. I posted on this topic specific a while back.

Comment

Working...
              X