Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving in winter wonderland

Hello people,
    Since a few days it has been snowing lightly in my end of the world and that got me thinking. I've got a beautiful M41 Bulldog which I run outside often, why not take it through the snow? After all I've seen pictures on forums of people doing just that so it should be doable.

Still, snow being snow I'd like to know if people have experience with this before trying to find out the hard way.
    Do i need to take specific precautians/modifications to my tank before running in the snow?

If anyone has any tips, please let me know!

Originally posted by Dutchy93 View Post
    Hello people,
    Since a few days it has been snowing lightly in my end of the world and that got me thinking. I've got a beautiful M41 Bulldog which I run outside often, why not take it through the snow? After all I've seen pictures on forums of people doing just that so it should be doable.

Still, snow being snow I'd like to know if people have experience with this before trying to find out the hard way.
    Do i need to take specific precautians/modifications to my tank before running in the snow?

If anyone has any tips, please let me know!
    Snow can be fun to run tanks in, BUT first make sure you let it sit outside in the cold for a few minutes prior to driving.

This is done to let the tracks, idler wheels and sprockets cool to the outside temp. It helps from keeping the snow from metaling when initially contacting the above parts and refreezing to them and causing the tank to de-track or bind up.

The M41 is pretty good in the snow so you should have some fun. Don’t forget to take photos and post them for all to enjoy.

M41 running in a light snow fall. VVVVVVV

Click image for larger version

Name:	FB175929-81F8-4A5B-AD00-0E4ED51FB2DB.jpeg
Views:	314
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	296061Click image for larger version

Name:	9A00113A-2259-4DD0-BA11-02DD57E23A2F.png
Views:	301
Size:	952.3 KB
ID:	296062

Comment

Hey Rubicon, Thanks for the advice. I followed it and surely I had little problems running mine in the garden.
      Unfortunately at the large field close to my home the snow was already gone, but there was plenty in the garden.
      I must say that this tank ran way better than I'd initially thought. There was one or two occasions where my track threatened to walk off, which was fixed in a few seconds.
      I did notice lots of snow buildup at the rear drive sprocket and most aft return roller, but aside from that I saw nothing noteworthy.
      Just something to make sure you brush away before you store the tank.
      Probably the ground clearance of the Bulldog helps here as well.

Honestly with all the tracks the tank makes and the snow that sticks to it, somehow it makes it come alive to me.
      Safe to say, my little crawler saw pretty much every corner of the garden!
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchy93 View Post
        Hey Rubicon, Thanks for the advice. I followed it and surely I had little problems running mine in the garden.
        Unfortunately at the large field close to my home the snow was already gone, but there was plenty in the garden.
        I must say that this tank ran way better than I'd initially thought. There was one or two occasions where my track threatened to walk off, which was fixed in a few seconds.
        I did notice lots of snow buildup at the rear drive sprocket and most aft return roller, but aside from that I saw nothing noteworthy.
        Just something to make sure you brush away before you store the tank.
        Probably the ground clearance of the Bulldog helps here as well.

Honestly with all the tracks the tank makes and the snow that sticks to it, somehow it makes it come alive to me.
        Safe to say, my little crawler saw pretty much every corner of the garden!
        Looks like you had a fun time. Almost the perfect amount of snow for RC tanks. Any more and the bottom out.

Yes running tanks when they leave tracks or kick up sand, dust or snow does bring them more to life.

Comment

Yes it does snow in SoCal. Rare event today so I took advantage of it while I could.

T72 planning in the snow.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	FBA8A585-83D4-4F7F-AE17-0A902D3FCA94.jpeg
Views:	215
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	296314Click image for larger version

Name:	7B004367-C97F-40CA-AD97-2D1CEAD6ED9D.jpeg
Views:	232
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	296312Click image for larger version

Name:	409D20C2-331D-4BD6-A261-5BA117AD925E.jpeg
Views:	223