Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Determine King Tiger color

Hi everyone,

I'm exploring the RC Tank hobby and have just ordered my first RC Tank. It will be a Heng Long King Tiger Pro.

As I'm a big fan of customizing just about anything, I will most definitely airbrush the tank a different color and customize from there.
    However since this is all new for me, I like taking an example as reference.
    I've come across this beautiful king tiger which I'd like to use as an example.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	HTB1.yhxLpXXXXbiapXXq6xXFXXXg.jpg
Views:	1628
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	299703

I'm now in the process of picking the right paint colors, but that proves to be quite difficult as I have no experience with this.
    I did some research about what color matches the Tiger grey, and have read that Tamiya XF-63 comes quite close. However it seems a bit dark compared to the tiger above.
    Also I found a "Panzer Grey' Enamel & Acrylic Set that one contains A.MIG-008 RAL 7021 DUNKELGRAU.

Maybe someone here can help me find a good match?
    I was also wondering what colors I could use to wash the tank. Would A.MIG-1006 Bleu Wash (also in the set above) be okay? In most videos I watched more than 1 color was used to create the washing effect.

All help greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
    Luke

A grey King Tiger! I'd say that Tamiya XF-63 looks about right? There's also a spray can in the same color (TS-4) which might be easier if you're going to do a completely grey tank.\The real German grey wasn't that light really though. The tank in the picture has a lot of white streaking which makes it appear lighter.
    You could mix some white to the grey color to make it a bit lighter.

The Mig blue wash seems almost like black on my screen. Looks nice enough. You could also use cheap acrylic craft paint for this. Just water it down to a liquid, and use a sponge to dab it on, and a brush to get it into the crevices. Then use a paper towel to wipe it away from any unwanted places.

If you are going for a weathered tank like above, do yourself a favor and get the B, D (and possibly A) sets of these:
    Tamiya Weathering Master & Stick
    They are great for subtle weathering. Very easy to use, especially if you are new to painting and weathering.

Comment

Others have written that "dunkelgrau" dark grey stopped being used in 1943, before the advent of the KT's. Real restored ones on youtube and elsewhere start with a "dunkelgelb" dark yellow base and then camo that. But it's your KT, paint it like you want it!
      Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Working...
      X