Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiger/lost controller and charger

Hello,
    so to the bread and butter. I have an older heng long 1-16th Tiger 1 about 2004-05, my sister gave to me as a birthday present, I do not have a lot of RC experience. My ex-wife disposed of the remote and charging cable. I wish to get new ones to make it go again. I have no idea about hertz or all that. And cannot find any serial numbers on the exterior. Where could I find something that will work or any suggestions on what would work. I would like to see it roll again.

Best thing to do is to gut it, and get the latest 6.0 or better mfu, transmitter, and associated wiring. Not a difficult project. Get all new electronics. The motors, gearboxes, etc. should be just fine, as long as they have the steel gears Several vendors sell complete upgrade sets for the wiring.

Comment

Thank you,
      Motors and gears are fine(although the gears are plastic) Brass drive gears on the end of the motors. It has just been sitting for all these years on a shelf. I am just not sure what will fit since it has no model number that I can find, and I am RC illiterate. I guess I will brush up on them and see if I can bring it to life again. It has the lights and Main gun that shoots.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanger1 View Post
        Thank you,
        Motors and gears are fine(although the gears are plastic) Brass drive gears on the end of the motors. It has just been sitting for all these years on a shelf. I am just not sure what will fit since it has no model number that I can find, and I am RC illiterate. I guess I will brush up on them and see if I can bring it to life again. It has the lights and Main gun that shoots.
        Tiger parts are EVERYWHERE and easy to come by. I second the use of the 6.0 system. Just make sure you buy a set that includes the Heng Long transmitter too.

The motors might cause you issues do to sitting for so long unused so be ready to replace them. If that is the case replacing the entire motor gearbox combination is more advantageous as it costs less then $40. Motion RC and a number of others sell them complete and ready to drop in. Search Ebay and you will find them (Heng Long Tiger gearboxes and complete 6.0 control systems).

It should cost you around $100 for everything listed above. Keep in mind that more could be needed do to the age of the tank and the state of the “plastic” parts especially the tracks.

Good luck on your restoration efforts and if you need help just “post up” and we will gladly overwhelm you with suggestions and directions.

Comment

Wanger1, you might consider an alternative, especially if your hobby knowledge is limited. That is to buy a new tank! By the time you get replacement parts and tools to renovate your tank, and learn about the old, the new and the changes, and find out sources for replacements, you won't spend too much more for a new one. Maybe pick an adversary model for the Tiger, so when you do refurbish it you can do battle.

If you asked us on this forum to speak up if they only have one tank, you'll hear a loud chorus....of crickets!
          Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Once again thank you for the info so far.
            SoCalBob trust me when I started looking I saw all the shiny new ones and get that tingling to buy a new one, but at the same time it was a gift and I am a bit nostalgic about it. I will look into what Rubicon has said and see if I can get her moving again. And perhaps down the road start asking about the newer models. I am not young and still remember my first remote control plane that had a small 2 stroke and two strings on a handle and I would stand there and make it go in a circle all day.

Comment

Wanger1 ,
              If you could post a photo of the bottom of the tank we might be able to figure out if it is 27mhz or 2.4ghz.
              If it's 27mhz I have a couple of transmitters laying around that would probably get it going and most likely a battery charger too that I would give you for the cost of shipping.
              Steve

Comment

Here are some photos of the guts, no markings anywhere on the bottom it only has Hen Long. So not sure if it’s a knock off or not.

Comment

Well I guess my eyes aren’t that to good. Says right there orange sticker 27.145 MHz

Comment

Wanger, first don't worry about age. I'm 70. Never too old to have a toy, it keeps us young. Now, regarding your tank, you could accept Sureshot's offer of a transmitter. The 27mhz radios use crystals to assign channels. It's been years since I had a 27mhz tank, but I think you can change the channel on your tank with the ABC switch. The transmitter will have a crystal plugged into the front (Sureshot, check me on this). If you get it, and it works, you've got your nostalgia!

However, having owned tanks of various manufacturing runs, I urge you to consider Cascabel's and Rubicon's recommendations regarding updating the electronics. The current equipment is by far superior in function. The mechanical components - track motors, gearboxes, turret rotation and elevation motors - can still be used. You'd be replacing the central MFU (Multi Function Board, the brain) and rewiring the components to mate with it. There are kits available that make this straightforward. I've done this four times so far, and the benefits are worth it. The greatest one is in steering and driving. Tanks can drive slower and turn with greater precision.

If you decide now or later to go the upgrade route, you'll hear "numbers". Heng Long MFU's have version designators for their 2.4ghz systems. There is 5.3, 6.0, 6.0S, 6.1, 6.1S, 7.0, 7.1 and maybe others. All of the 6 and above MFUs are what you'd want, those are where the improvements are.

Anyway, good luck. You've already taken the first major step, opening up the tank. You've "broken the seal", as it were.

Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Also of note, if you upgrade it to 6 series and your just running tanks by yourself, you can bind all your tanks to the same transmitter if you decide to get another tank down the road.

Comment

Working...
                      X