X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RichJohnson View Post
    As someone who's in right now and seen this tech, your not paranoid enough.
    Well if you think it's such a big problem why don't you report it to the FBI and let them do their job instead of accusing someone of being a terrorist over a first person view camera and a 2.4Ghz range extender.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta_19 View Post

Well if you think it's such a big problem why don't you report it to the FBI and let them do their job instead of accusing someone of being a terrorist over a first person view camera and a 2.4Ghz range extender.

https://tips.fbi.gov/
      You are blind. The camera is not the issue. And maybe I did drop a line to the proper authorities.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

You are blind. The camera is not the issue. And maybe I did drop a line to the proper authorities.
        It's not that I'm blind I know what they could do with this same as what someone could do with a cell phone and pay as you go Sim card paid for in cash, I was just raised not to immediately see bad in people over small questions with no proof of guilt.

Comment

Actually, having a tank with two of the tiny fpv cameras, I can see why one might want better transmission range on those. Two people trying to have a tank battle indoors, with the tanks two rooms away and maybe on another floor level could get signals badly degraded by intervening walls and floors. I dont think they would want to do the battle with airsoft however. The fpv cameras are never going to be able to spot airsoft hits. They would want to use ir.

As regards people making rc bombs, the large, fast rc aircraft always seemed much more of a threat. Lets face it, our toy tanks are actually pretty klutzy and likely to get stuck.

The thing that bothers me about this whole thread is that a while back I posted about my experiences using two fpv cameras on my hl challenger 2. I was using it to fight one of Legodei's ir mines, set up as an antitank bunker. I had fun doing it but the fpv cameras were huge energy hogs and I also came to the conclusion that I enjoyed seeing the tank a lot more than seeing out of the tank and I havent used the fpv camera much since. But, I certainly could have asked about ways to improve driving the tank by remote control. Lag made it pretty difficult. If I had asked such questions would I have been considered to have been making "hinky" posts?

Maybe it is just because I grew up a couple towns over from Salem Mass. but "witch hunt" keeps coming to mind. I find myself giving serious thought to dropping from this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by oldwolf View Post
            Actually, having a tank with two of the tiny fpv cameras, I can see why one might want better transmission range on those. Two people trying to have a tank battle indoors, with the tanks two rooms away and maybe on another floor level could get signals badly degraded by intervening walls and floors. I dont think they would want to do the battle with airsoft however. The fpv cameras are never going to be able to spot airsoft hits. They would want to use ir.

As regards people making rc bombs, the large, fast rc aircraft always seemed much more of a threat. Lets face it, our toy tanks are actually pretty klutzy and likely to get stuck.

The thing that bothers me about this whole thread is that a while back I posted about my experiences using two fpv cameras on my hl challenger 2. I was using it to fight one of Legodei's ir mines, set up as an antitank bunker. I had fun doing it but the fpv cameras were huge energy hogs and I also came to the conclusion that I enjoyed seeing the tank a lot more than seeing out of the tank and I havent used the fpv camera much since. But, I certainly could have asked about ways to improve driving the tank by remote control. Lag made it pretty difficult. If I had asked such questions would I have been considered to have been making "hinky" posts?

Maybe it is just because I grew up a couple towns over from Salem Mass. but "witch hunt" keeps coming to mind. I find myself giving serious thought to dropping from this forum.
            You're not the only one, there's a lot of good info to be had here but if asking the "wrong" question is gonna have someone yell terrorist and report my post maybe there's better places to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta_19 View Post

You're not the only one, there's a lot of good info to be had here but if asking the "wrong" question is gonna have someone yell terrorist and report my post maybe there's better places to go.
              Yea, it's sad. Until now I have very much enjoyed this forum and have had great respect for everyone I have interacted with. Don't the transmitters and receivers for the rc aircraft already have way more range than the tank transmitters and receivers? Right off the shelf? They must have given their speed. Otherwise they would just fly away and never be seen again.

Comment

I think you guys missed some of the key buzz words that sent up red flags and I think both of you would have phrased your issues, problems and discussion differently about what your doing.
                If you go and read about the specific event Rubicon mentioned, which was close by some of us, you may understand more. Specifically it was about using toy radio control for terror and just by the grace of God as to why it failed.

I think you guys are jumping to conclusions much further than I did IMHO. Your on here posting builds and help and various things. If you come up and say he my kid and I are doing this battle scenario in our house and back yard but we keep having issues because our signal drops out or the tank gets slow to respond, I need a better radio yada yada yada that makes alot more sense. A person with no history pops up and says he wants to build something that is basically a breaching vehicle scenario though he phrased it differently, thats something to take notice of. Realistically, how many other people in this or any RC hobby have the issues he was adressing and planing for before he had the issues.

This gentleman threw out exactly what he wanted to build and said he had no idea what he was doing, yet he immediately said he expected to see a dipole antenna inside the radio. Very few people that dont work with radios even know what a dipole antenna is. Now sure I hope I am wrong but his entire approach was just written in a way that anyone that has been around the real deployed stuff realizes that sounds like what he wants to build. Everyone has a spidey sense and its interesting that this guy tickled it the same way for a few of us.

I myself have used FPV on one of my Shermans to IR battle with. I spent alot of money and played with it and tweaked the install a bit and decided it just wasnt suitable for what I wanted to do so I abandoned the project.
                RC tank parts and accessories I make
                www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

Originally posted by RichJohnson View Post
                  I think you guys missed some of the key buzz words that sent up red flags and I think both of you would have phrased your issues, problems and discussion differently about what your doing.
                  If you go and read about the specific event Rubicon mentioned, which was close by some of us, you may understand more. Specifically it was about using toy radio control for terror and just by the grace of God as to why it failed.

I think you guys are jumping to conclusions much further than I did IMHO. Your on here posting builds and help and various things. If you come up and say he my kid and I are doing this battle scenario in our house and back yard but we keep having issues because our signal drops out or the tank gets slow to respond, I need a better radio yada yada yada that makes alot more sense. A person with no history pops up and says he wants to build something that is basically a breaching vehicle scenario though he phrased it differently, thats something to take notice of. Realistically, how many other people in this or any RC hobby have the issues he was adressing and planing for before he had the issues.

This gentleman threw out exactly what he wanted to build and said he had no idea what he was doing, yet he immediately said he expected to see a dipole antenna inside the radio. Very few people that dont work with radios even know what a dipole antenna is. Now sure I hope I am wrong but his entire approach was just written in a way that anyone that has been around the real deployed stuff realizes that sounds like what he wants to build. Everyone has a spidey sense and its interesting that this guy tickled it the same way for a few of us.

I myself have used FPV on one of my Shermans to IR battle with. I spent alot of money and played with it and tweaked the install a bit and decided it just wasnt suitable for what I wanted to do so I abandoned the project.
                  Here is the thing, from my viewpoint. There are already transmitters and receivers for rc aircraft that have miles of range. If anyone were to seriously want to breach something they would fly a model aircraft with a few pounds of explosive right into it. They could do it from a mile or two away. They dont need to try to figure out how to extend the range of a toy tank transmitter / receiver. They can already simply buy better. The reaction to the original posters question seems very much like someone complaining a bout a kid trying to improve his slingshot and ignoring his neighbors backyard machine gun range. Paranoid people worry me. They are like very religious people. Both tend to over react, badly.

Comment

Originally posted by oldwolf View Post

Here is the thing, from my viewpoint. There are already transmitters and receivers for rc aircraft that have miles of range. If anyone were to seriously want to breach something they would fly a model aircraft with a few pounds of explosive right into it. They could do it from a mile or two away. They dont need to try to figure out how to extend the range of a toy tank transmitter / receiver. They can already simply buy better. The reaction to the original posters question seems very much like someone complaining a bout a kid trying to improve his slingshot and ignoring his neighbors backyard machine gun range. Paranoid people worry me. They are like very religious people. Both tend to over react, badly.
                    Well there are numerous soldier and civilian that have been killed or wounded by cheap TOY RC systems used in countless IED attacks in Iraq and elsewhere that would disagree with you.

Closer to home Boston Marathon bombers set theirs bombs off with TOY RC systems and the husband and wife in San Bernardino attempted too as well during their attack.

Yes other hobby grade RC systems have more range but toy systems are cheaper and easier to come by with typically less of a “paper trail”.

Comment

Working...
                    X