X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint and decals for Tiger 1

So I've been racking my brain as to a colour scheme for the Tiger and I've come to the conclusion that the grey that is on it at the moment is pretty good for most applications but there is no reference to the colour code in the user manual, does anyone have any idea of the closet match? I've ordered the etch grille covers and want the extended barrel but these will need painting to match, I'm reluctant to respray the whole tank just for these couple of parts. I also would like a different decal set for it, I've seen some about, such as the Wittman Tiger, Kursk and Das Reich but what would be the tank colour?

Do a search for Peddinghaus decals, Star decals and Archer Fine Transfer decals. eBay carries most of these brands. All have Tiger decals and most will show a picture of the tank's color scheme. Many schemes will require a dark yellow colored tank, common during the second half of the war.

I usually like to repaint my tanks upon receipt. That way if I want to add to or modify it I don't have to try to match colors after the fact. Also, painting and weathering is a fun part of this hobby, and because of the size of this scale, makes for some cool results. Look at our galley for examples.
    Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

I did some research on the subject and all the experts claim very few actually went into service dark grey (dunkle grau). Most were painted sand and camouflaged by their crews. The eastern front tanks got a white wash for the long winter. The other areas were already getting camo or sand.
      I used Model masters flat dark grey for the closest match.

Comment

Dunkel Gelb ( Its an RAL number that I cant remember Dark Yellow) or Sand Gelb (RLM-79 Sand yellow) are the 2 yellows most used as base color youll need for most German armor schemes. for a jagd Panther I did a while back I used a Dunkel Gelb from the now discontinued Pactra line, and then used Vallejo German Camo brown, and some cheapy Olive Green Folk Art acrylic craft paint for my green.

Comment

IIRC, H-L’s Tiger I is a 1942-1943 era so Dunkelgrau RAL 7021/formerly RAL 46 panzer grey is appropriate for pre-Feb 43 when the switch to an overall base color of dunkelgelb RAL 7028 panzer yellow was ordered.
          Field expedient cammo was often just local mud painted randomly by the crew using any means possible, so a panzer grey Tiger with hand-painted mud would be plausible.
          Check out panzerworld.com for more color info and Missing-lynx.com for their gallery of models; where you will find dozens of Tiger I models and their possible colors.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys, can I ask which paint type would you use on a stock Heng Long, enamel or acrylic?

Comment

I use Tamiya spray cans as a base. They call it an artificial lacquer. It's quick and covers well, even like yellow over dark gray. They make dark yellow, german gray, and at least three different olive greens and drabs. Then, I can airbrush overcoats or camo schemes. For that I use acrylics, usually Tamiya or Vallejo. Easier to clean up! After that, I spray a clear flat so that my weathering won't adversely affect the acrylic or lacquer underneath.

Comment

Originally posted by Soane View Post
                Thanks for the replies guys, can I ask which paint type would you use on a stock Heng Long, enamel or acrylic?
                Use acrylics for base coats. Then use oil based for washes, weathering etc.

The idea being that the thinners for the oil based paints which are used extensively when doing washes, oil stains etc wont hurt the acryclic base coat that you've put down. SoCalBobS technique also gives the base coats protection from the thinners :)

Comment

So, does anyone know what type of paint Heng Long or Taigen use on their tanks...enamel, acrylic, lacquer? That might be important to know before painting over the existing paint.

Also, How many cans of Tamiya spray does it take to paint a base coat on a Tiger?

Comment

Its a petroleum bases paint of some sort, so likely a lacquer and thats what I basecoat with. I dont know about cans of Tamiya paint though someone else would have to answer that. I use a hairspray technique to weather, so all my German armor get a base of Rustoleum oxide red that I then go over with hairspray, and then the base camo color in acrylic.

Comment

Originally posted by Barmonkey View Post
                      So, does anyone know what type of paint Heng Long or Taigen use on their tanks...enamel, acrylic, lacquer? That might be important to know before painting over the existing paint.

Also, How many cans of Tamiya spray does it take to paint a base coat on a Tiger?
                      Don't know what they use. Tamiya sprays don't have any effect on it. For coverage, to be safe I keep two on hand, but almost always one will suffice, especially if you plan to put camo or weathering over it. One nice thing about the sprays is that it dries really quickly, ready for handling in 10 minutes or so if it's warm out.

Just noticed Vaseline's post. Tamiya makes a german reddish primer spray. Rustoleum or similar hardware paints are perfectly fine. I'm just used to Tamiya sprays from my experience with small scale models. It has a much finer particulate than hardware paints. Not an issue in 1:16 scale, though.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post

Don't know what they use. Tamiya sprays don't have any effect on it. For coverage, to be safe I keep two on hand, but almost always one will suffice, especially if you plan to put camo or weathering over it. One nice thing about the sprays is that it dries really quickly, ready for handling in 10 minutes or so if it's warm out.

Just noticed Vaseline's post. Tamiya makes a german reddish primer spray. Rustoleum or similar hardware paints are perfectly fine. I'm just used to Tamiya sprays from my experience with small scale models. It has a much finer particulate than hardware paints. Not an issue in 1:16 scale, though.
                        Yeah Ive used Tamiya red oxide spray in the past and your absolutely right, the pigmentation doesnt obliterate details, I use the rustoleum because I have to order tamiya paints online and its much cheaper to run to home despot and grab a couple cans.

Comment

Did a search for color profiles (drawings) of early Tiger Is and found a ton on Pinterest. Pinterest is always a pain to navigate so luckily this showed up in the search, a nice site indeed with some color profiles...

The Tiger is without doubt one of the most famous tanks to have ever existed. But does it deserve its fearsome reputation?

Take the color profiles of the earlies used in North Africa with a grain of salt as much has since been discovered about the true cammo

Comment

Working...
                          X