First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused about tanks

Im brand new to rc tanks
    been running rc cars for years but tanks was something i always wanted
    I thought the tamiya tanks was the only decent ones but those are so expensive
    But found out about heng long and decided to get one of them but i dont know
    Should i get the upgraded one with thw metal tracks and wheels? Can i run my 2s lipo batteries in them ? Do they have a low voltage cut off?
    Im in Central Texas south of fort worth so it will be run on the grass and the road and planning to get probably 2 since we can ir battle wth the family but would be lateron the second one
    and lastly is there any spare parts i should get right away
    thank you for your guys time and information

The decision to get metal tracks and wheels will depend largely on how rough and how often you use them. Everyone has their opinion, mine is to get metal tracks, sprocket and idler wheels. Road wheels aren't as critical. I have tanks with both plastic and metal gear. Under casual use, plastic is fine. Metal imparts more weight, which is generally a good thing on a tank.

When you run HL tanks with their 2S li-ion batteries, there is a low voltage cut off, however I don't know if the circuit is on the battery or in the main board. If it's the latter I don't know if it shuts down at the correct voltage. Li-po usage is fairly common, so I'm sure others will provide those answers.

A few tips:

The most finnicky part of these tanks is the smoke generator. Most of us end up never using them, and remove them if necessary when we upgrade our tanks.

When you buy, always get a 6.0 or higher version. This refers to the main board, and 6.0 gives much better performance than previous. If you see a real bargain somewhere, make sure they're not getting rid of less than 6.0 versions.

Lastly, the stock IR function has a limited range, maybe 10 feet in sun. Sooner or later you'll want to upgrade to a better sensor.

Spare parts? Nothing comes to mind. Tools however are very important. A good soldering iron or gun with a point tip for fine electrical work is handy. Screw drivers and hex drivers too.

Who to buy from? Be careful online, if you order from China delivery can be costly and slow. Most of us have good luck with Toucan Hobby on eBay. If their listing says US Stock, you can get them in about a week. They also negotiate price, within limits.

If you like tinkering with RC cars, you'll have no trouble with tanks. Welcome!
    Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Originally posted by JohnBoy91 View Post
      Im brand new to rc tanks
      been running rc cars for years but tanks was something i always wanted
      I thought the tamiya tanks was the only decent ones but those are so expensive
      But found out about heng long and decided to get one of them but i dont know
      Should i get the upgraded one with thw metal tracks and wheels? Can i run my 2s lipo batteries in them ? Do they have a low voltage cut off?
      Im in Central Texas south of fort worth so it will be run on the grass and the road and planning to get probably 2 since we can ir battle wth the family but would be lateron the second one
      and lastly is there any spare parts i should get right away
      thank you for your guys time and information
      Yes to almost all your list.

The IR receiver that come with the tank is garbage and has spotty range and reliability If you want to battle the tank get an LEGO DEI battle receiver conversion. It really bring the battling to a height where it is reliable, long range and fun.

Spare parts but as you need them they are easy to find online.

Comment

Thank you to you both
        and rubicon99
        So yes on lipo cut off ?

Im looking at the heng long leopard 7.0
        With metal tracks and sprockets , idle and road wheels
        i have a kyosho blizzard and its so much better with the metal tracks
        Ill check out the different ir system also
        Again thank you for you time

Comment

Originally posted by JohnBoy91 View Post
          Thank you to you both
          and rubicon99
          So yes on lipo cut off ?

Im looking at the heng long leopard 7.0
          With metal tracks and sprockets , idle and road wheels
          i have a kyosho blizzard and its so much better with the metal tracks
          Ill check out the different ir system also
          Again thank you for you time
          As Socalbob said there is a low power cut off but it can be too low for some LiPo batteries. I tend not to use Lipo batteries in tanks and stick with NiMH batteries as they are more forgiving in tank applications.

The Leopard 2 is generally a really good tank, BUT it has a major flaw that will quickly become apparent especially if you run the tank often in rough terrain (which of course is the funniest place to run tanks). The “plastic” hull has the suspension down stop molded in and the metal suspension arms repeatedly hitting the stop causes the “plastic” to wear or break off. This in turn cases excessive downward “over travel” of the road wheels and ultimately leads to major track retention/reliability issues.

Comment

Working...
          X