Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renault FT

Just a teaser for now.

I'm motorizing and r/c'ing Takom's 1:16 Renault FT. This photo is at the stage where motorizing and r/c'ing is complete. After this, treads come off and detailing, painting and weathering will commence. Given the equipment I've had to work with, It's faster than the real one would be, but hey, it runs!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1596.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	315.8 KB
ID:	319040

So far I've had mixed results. I use the transmission, main board, radio controller, and sound and lights from Heng Long's 1:30 M4 Sherman as appropriate for my conversions. It's the right size, and my LHS can get them for $50. Unfortunately in this case the mechanism for turret rotation won't fit in the hull, it's too narrow. Making lemonade as the saying goes, this will be a hybrid - part r/c model, part display. The kit comes with a complete interior, crew and engine compartments. I've filled the engine compartment with the motors, main board, speaker and battery. That's all fine. The crew compartment and turret is where the rotation mechanism would have gone, so instead I'll do the crew interior!
    Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Ooooh, nice one. I saw one of those just this week. The real thing, not the model. It's tiny!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0303.JPG Views:	0 Size:	91.8 KB ID:	319043
    Sherman M4A3 105mm Houwitser / Sherman Firefly IC *under construction* / Panzer IV *awaiting side-grade from TK7.0S to TK6.0S* / Stug III / King Tiger / KV-1 *awaiting upgrade to TK6.0S* / Tiger I / T34-85 / Leopard 2A6 *waiting upgrade to TK7.0*... No, I do not have a problem....

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
      Just a teaser for now.

I'm motorizing and r/c'ing Takom's 1:16 Renault FT. This photo is at the stage where motorizing and r/c'ing is complete. After this, treads come off and detailing, painting and weathering will commence. Given the equipment I've had to work with, It's faster than the real one would be, but hey, it runs!

So far I've had mixed results. I use the transmission, main board, radio controller, and sound and lights from Heng Long's 1:30 M4 Sherman as appropriate for my conversions. It's the right size, and my LHS can get them for $50. Unfortunately in this case the mechanism for turret rotation won't fit in the hull, it's too narrow. Making lemonade as the saying goes, this will be a hybrid - part r/c model, part display. The kit comes with a complete interior, crew and engine compartments. I've filled the engine compartment with the motors, main board, speaker and battery. That's all fine. The crew compartment and turret is where the rotation mechanism would have gone, so instead I'll do the crew interior!

Comment

now that (with a paint job) will be hard to tell from the pix of the real thing. looks real authentic.

Comment

Just a teaser for now.

Bob you are out of control!!!!! Love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

Bob you are out of control!!!!! Love it.
            Yeah, a lot of pent up building urges. I have a workshop I used to build r/c aircraft when they were balsa which has been unused with the advent of foam planes. All they need is a screwdriver! That and a model building history - one of my first kits in the 1960’s was an Airfix StuG III. Add in iPhone photo and video capability and a full retirement.... = cowabunga!

Comment

Hatches open, hatches closed! Just finished hingeing them. Electronics are partially visible in back. The whole top deck comes off. It’s held on by magnets.

Name:	F39C563A-EF8B-4C55-A504-9B9468245B75.jpeg
Views:	403
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	319146

Comment

You're on a roll, yet another static kit RC'd

Comment

I'm gonna run out of subjects someday. The PzKpfw 1 and Renault have always been favorites of mine, so to animate them is great fun!.

Second stage teaser. I'm a novice with an airbrush, as much paint on me as on the kit, so painting the inside white and outside it's base color was stressful. And this was the first time I sprayed it black as a primer. Eek!

The tracks have three layers of color on them - Nato Black spray can, AK Track Wash and AK rub-on Iron. Still needs grime and rust, but it's a good start. My wife unprompted said it looked like metal.

Name:	IMG_1602.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	305.6 KB
ID:	319473

Comment

In for a penny, in for a pound. The airbrush was already warmed up.

Name:	IMG_1603.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	282.3 KB
ID:	319538

Comment

Another mini 1/16 tank. Very nice Bob.
                      I got my rc kit for the Stewart yesterday but have yet to get the tank kit. I have just had too many other expenses lately to buy the kit, or really even the time to build it with all the other tanks I’m working on.
                      RC tank parts and accessories I make
                      www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

Originally posted by RichJohnson View Post
                        Another mini 1/16 tank. Very nice Bob.
                        I got my rc kit for the Stewart yesterday but have yet to get the tank kit. I have just had too many other expenses lately to buy the kit, or really even the time to build it with all the other tanks I’m working on.
                        Yeah, time and money are the limiters. I passed on the 35RC kit too for those reasons. Maybe next cycle.

Comment

Hello SoCal! Question if you don’t mind; your HengLong 1/30th donor tanks - do they have proportional speeds? TIA!

Comment

Originally posted by Nfafan View Post
                            Hello SoCal! Question if you don’t mind; your HengLong 1/30th donor tanks - do they have proportional speeds? TIA!
                            Answer is yes. It feels like there are three speed levels, but that may be just my impression. Also the steering seems proportional. The joysticks on the transmitter are pretty short, so you have to give subtle inputs to see it, but yes.

Comment

Answer is yes. It feels like there are three speed levels, but that may be just my impression. Also the steering seems proportional. The joysticks on the transmitter are pretty short, so you have to give subtle inputs to see it, but yes.
                              Thanks tons SCBob! Your work is inspiring me to hack one of my 1/35th static plastic armor kits into R/C - I’m looking at maybe a Tamiya JSIII, or Cromwell, or Churchill, or Matilda or maybe Italeri’s Crusader. Or maybe the old Monogram 1/32nd Hedgehog rocket Sherman or their M3 Lee. This idea is promising!

Comment

Here is a short video clip demonstrating that yes, it really does move! Of course, it's like a tank on crack! On Youtube you can slow the playback speed. Half or quarter speed gives it a better look, but it's still apparent it weighs only 5.5 ounces!

Nfafan; the hardest part of a conversion is connecting the tank's sprocket wheels to the drive train, so that they run true and are strong enough to withstand the torque. Another tip; all my conversions have magnets holding the top on, so that I can remove it to change batteries conduct maintenance. It's a challenge, for sure. Another option is to buy commercial conversion kits, but those are for specific tanks and cost hundreds of dollars. Search "35RC" on the web for that.

If I were in that scale, I'd go for your Lee as a conversion. Close enough to the Heng Long to make fitting easier.

Edit: 35RCTank.com

Comment

Rennie had a visit from his son. 🤪

Name:	039B6DE6-0CB1-4335-AD3C-F110BECEA83E.jpeg
Views:	317
Size:	304.0 KB
ID:	320134

Comment

L'avion Renault:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Snapshot_2 (2).jpg Views:	0 Size:	269.6 KB ID:	321432

Bet you didn't think an FT could jump! Well, more a flop than a jump.This is a snapshot capture from a video clip. It's on Youtube. The tank did NOT like the soft dirt it was in, so the clip is real short.

Comment

Click image for larger version Name:	Snapshot_2 (2).jpg Views:	0 Size:	269.6 KB ID:	321432
                                      I'm sorry, but that needs to be read in Waylon Jenning's voice... "Bet ya'll didn't think an FT could jump! Well, leave it to the Duke boys..."

Sherman M4A3 105mm Houwitser / Sherman Firefly IC *under construction* / Panzer IV *awaiting side-grade from TK7.0S to TK6.0S* / Stug III / King Tiger / KV-1 *awaiting upgrade to TK6.0S* / Tiger I / T34-85 / Leopard 2A6 *waiting upgrade to TK7.0*... No, I do not have a problem....

Comment

Awesome
                                        RC tank parts and accessories I make
                                        www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

Working...
                                        X