X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• El-Mod

I have been getting some questions on ElMod recently. I figured for those who don't know, I am the USA and Canada distributor for ElMod and wanted to show some of what the unit does. It is unfortunate that I cannot really show you how much better the unit drive experience is on a video. With Elmod you can dial in the control of the tank very easily through the free software, and you can alter every parameter of the tank in this manner. Recoil speed, acceleration, braking power, simulated shifts on most models, and many other things as well. The ElMod gives the feel of driving a real tank, not a twitchy and fast moving race car, as most of the other electronics do. This is a hobby grade unit and can be used with a 4 channel radio or, you can use a radio with more channels to get the most out of extras in the board, ie, extra lighting, sounds, etc.I am going to share through my google drive. One of these is a Tamiya Leopard 1 A4 I just completed and it is running an ElMod pro on 11.1 lipo battery. Pro can use up to a 12v battery, while Eco can use up to 9.6volts/ Most applications are going to only need the standard 7.2 or 7.4 lipo. If you have any questions, let me know. You can contact me through my website at www.armorcreations.weebly.com
    The stug in the photo is also running an Elmod and is highly modified with gun traverse as well as a host of other things.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TSK...ew?usp=sharing Leopard 1

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T9W...ew?usp=sharing Custom Israeli M1 Sherman

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_yN...ew?usp=sharing Different Sherman test.

Welcome to Hobby Squawk, Yellowshaker !!
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

I was just on the elmod website yesterday lol. But that was Germany. I have not seen your site on a search. I’ve been searching for a new TCB for a bit since IBU Ultimate sucks with its fixed inertia level despite setting it to 0. I can’t stand inertia, I want to see the tank move and feel it visually coordinated and correspond to my stick movement, the inertia just throws that all off especially wile in an IR battle. All my tanks are the old IBU which was great but is gone.
      I tried a Tamiya Sheridan system but it has a throttle up thing in its firmware, the forward throttle moves up 2/3 of the stick with audio throttle revving up but not moving until you push past 2/3 then it picks up speed and you have to slow down to crawl, I found it horrible and annoying. I recently tested the DKTank board but it has some growing pains they are overcoming eventually as a new product.
      My UK friends swear by the Elmod system so I was looking into it.
      RC tank parts and accessories I make
      www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

Not sure why guys go with other systems personally. The ElMod is proven as a great unit and does what it is advertised to do. IBU was a failed attempt at copying elmod. I would never support them because of that. You get what you pay for and that really is the bottom line.

Comment

Well, Ive used several of the other boards out there and truthfully two of the MFRs sai the same thing to me personally. Why would anybody use the others I have them beat at my angle.
          I love the old IBU2. I have over a dozen tanks with them but they are gone and new Ultimate sucks.
          I didnt see any boards listed on your site or pricing for them. Just PDF Manuals and a contact page among other products but not any boards at all. That doesnt help market a product. I saw coming from the Europe they are quite costly, that is factor for many RC Tankers. When I first got into the hobby I saw all the boards and Elmod was a do more than you need board at a very high cost. Now it seems like from what I read on the Europe page its price as come down from back then but still costly to get stateside from Europe, glad there is a dealer here in the states.

Even with the really nice tanks I build I have never made near full use of all the settings in the boards at even the IBU options. I despise inertia as I said, and I dont really like the tamiyas for two reasons, the steering algorithm and the recoil. My tamiya tanks all have IBU2s and I tossed the tamiya systems. THe driving algorithm was what I really loved about IBU, I could make it brake steer for my shermans at the rate that satisfied me it looked and felt real but also set up my M60a3.

What this hobby has needed and has never quite got is a simple Tamiya compatible board that has a switch for the 3 tank classes and a reversible servo recoil output and options for the other recoil units that come stock. Be it dip switch or jumper plugs. Simple, plug and play. Clark was almost but his stuff works wonky on 4 channels. Somehow I think henglong may do this some day but we will see. They have been marching that direction slowly getting better.
          Not that this is what I want at this time but many would eat it up for a price of 100 or less.
          Being a club organizer I have heard so many times this request that an easy cheaper tamiya compatible board is needed but all of them offer too much and are too expensive. It makes this hobby much more expensive and kept me away for many years just driving a 2 channel tamiya until I was able to get ahead in life and afford a bit more.

Comment

Elmod has always been on my site. It;'s in the menu at the top of the page. It says "ElMod Drive" As for the 100 dollar board, As I said, you get what you pay for,.Elmod has all the things you mentioned plus a ton more. It is tamiya compatible and it works properly. The driving experience is far more realistic as well, beyond anything even tamiya sells. And remember, if you go buy tamiya electronics, you will spend far more than an elmod board costs, and you get far less. You are limited to whatever sounds the unit comes with, you can change nothing in parameters, you basically get what you get. I sell elmod, but I bought these boards way before I was ever the distributor for them. Why? Same reason I now sell them. They are the best board on the market. I never pushed them. And as I said, I know for a fact IBU was a copy. That was discussed years back and is why elmod changed the sound configuration on their boards. In any case, if people cannot afford it, then perhaps staying with their stock setup is the best option for them. Not everyone can afford to buy a tamiya tank, or a taigen now days for the money they sell for. But, if I cam spending 5.6.700 on a taigen, then I can afford to buy an ElMod to make it run that much better. All of the things you discuss in the IBU are elmod bud. You can set it as you want the tank to drive as you want. Overseas the elmod sells because they appreciate quality and will pay the few dollars more for it. Here..well, it is different.

Comment

No, Rich Johnson is right. Elmod Drive only leads to pdfs and fusion battle system parts. No elmod boards for sale. All you say sounds good but we cant buy from your site if we cant find the product there. Hope it is fixed soon.

Comment

Ok when I clicked on Elmod drive I wound up going right to battle units and missed the main page. I found you have to click the tab rather than let it drop down
                Thanks there.
                Reading more. Here is direct link

Comment

Originally posted by RichJohnson View Post
                  Ok when I clicked on Elmod drive I wound up going right to battle units and missed the main page. I found you have to click the tab rather than let it drop down
                  Thanks there.
                  Reading more. Here is direct link

https://armorcreations.weebly.com/elmod-drive.html
                  Excelent! Good job finding it!

Comment

I am sorry for any confusion regarding where to find the page. I honestly thought it was more obvious than it is. I will work on fixing that for anyone in the future.

Comment

Inspired by this thread I decided to try an Elmod fusion pro board. I am quite impressed. I had decided I was going to install servo recoil, servo elevation and muzzle flash on heng long challenger 2, so I had been planning to get a board that supported servos. The fusion pro handles 3 servos, so someday I will have to think of something I need a 3rd servo for on my chally.
                      The thing that decided me on an Elmod board was their attempt to create realistic behavior in the vehicle. My hope was to get a 12ish pound model acting like a 70+ ton tank. Key to setting things up is the Elmod App. Which can be downloaded from their website. The only problem I ran into was that windows defender kept trying to protect my cheap little laptop from the big bad Elmod App and kept blocking it. Defender can be shut off in a minute but it does annoyingly turn back on every few days.
                      Anyway, once everything was plugged in and ready to go the board was connected to my laptop with the included usb cable. By the way, the board came with more cables and wires than I needed to get it hooked up to my tank. It also came with an actual, full color installation manual! The manual is available as a download too.
                      The Elmod App is where the model gains its mass, inertia, etc. The fusion pro board has a micro sd card on it with sound and performance profiles for 35 different vehicles installed on it. Mostly tanks but some halftracks and wheeled vehicles too. The vehicle, for me a challenger 2, was chosen by scrolling down a list. Presto! My tank now starts with the whine and whir of a starter motor, clatters a bit, then settles into idle. It was vastly improved and it hadn't even moved yet! Momentum is wonderful. Bring up the engine speed and after a bit the tank moves, like a real massive vehicle you need ease up on the engine speed once it is moving if you want to move moderately. Let the engine drop to idle and the tank coasts to a stop. Need to stop faster? Hit the brakes. (They even squeal a bit). There is a whole set of default performance and sound for each vehicle. And can all be fine tuned if need be. The default servo recoil was pretty much spot on for me. Elevation and depression took fiddling. I may have given it a bit more gun depression than actual. I just really like the idea of snuggling the tank into a nice hull down position with the barrel almost laying across the top of a berm.

That's it for now. More on my Elmod installation later.

Comment

A bit of follow up on the Elmod board installation and the support I received from them.

I suffer from fairly severe hearing loss. In general the Elmod board is excellent for me since I can fine tune up or down almost any sound the tank makes. The one sound I couldn't adjust was the sound of a round hitting my tank when in IR battle. The sound it self is great, it sounds like two pieces of metal slamming into each other. They obviously went for mimicking an apds type of hit. I like it because it is distinctly different from the sound of explosions, such as firing my own tank's main gun. The problem was that I found it wasn't loud enough and it was one of the few sounds that couldn't be adjusted as far as I could tell.
                        I sent the company am email about it. As luck would have it I got an automated response saying the company was closed for holiday and would be open first of September. However, that evening I got an email from the company owner. He was indeed away but still checked the company email. He promised to correct the problem with a firmware update as soon as he returned.
                        This Wednesday he sent me an email letting me know the firmware was upgraded and that I could download it. The download is easily accomplished using the Elmod app. The sound of my tank getting hit is nice and loud now, just as I needed it to be. Couldn't possibly have been given better service.

Comment

Another follow up on my Elmod fusion pro board.

When using a LegoDEI ir reciever with it my tank began scoring hits on itself when it fired its main gun. It still scored a hit on its target but my tank was hit too. Very fair I suppose, but not quite what I wanted. I contacted Elmod about it this last Friday. The good gentleman got back to me with a clarifying question in a few hours. This morning he sent me an email letting me know that he had just posted a new firmware version: 2.05d. I downloaded and installed it from the Elmod website and presto, problem solved. Excellent customer support. Anyone using an Elmod fusion board may want to get the new firmware.

Comment

Working...
                          X