X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tamiya Leopard 2

Can the Tamiya Leopard 2 be fitted for IR tank battles?

Originally posted by mikeronie View Post
    Can the Tamiya Leopard 2 be fitted for IR tank battles?
    Yes. Tamiya invented IR tank battling and all their tanks can be set up for it easily.

Comment

Does anyone have any input on the Tamiya Leopard 2? Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by DavidN View Post
        Does anyone have any input on the Tamiya Leopard 2? Thank you!
        Do you have any specific concerns you would like addressed?

Having built three of them I feel it’s an overall decent tank. Not as good as an Abrams or Type10 but better then most of Tamiyas WW2 tanks. It only really needs wheel bearings vs the bushing provided. The gearbox is the same one used in the Abrams and Type 10 and you should add the DKLM metal upgrade gears during the initial build of the gearbox or you will regret it later. It is a B**CTH to go back and add them. Trust me on this I have done it and never wish do it again. Build it right the first time!!

The electronics (DMD 7 in memory serves) are good but are unfortunately an “in between” phase. A step ahead of the older DMD/FMUs used in Tamiya WW2 tanks but not as good as the DMD 10 used in the Abrams and Type 10. The only issues it really has is during battles when it gets hit. The tank comes to a stop for a few moments while the TBU is lighting up. This can make the tank easy to hit a second time. Much like a HL tank can be hit more easily when it too is stopped during its “hit indication” phase, though HLs is a bit shorter then the Tamiya Leopard 2s.

Personally I like the gyro stabilization of the barrel much more then the one use in the Abrams and Type 10. The Leopard 2s does not use the “target lock” feature of the Abrams and Type 10 in combination with barrel stabilization. IMO not having the “target lock” feature it is more realistic for everyday driving and more usable in IR battles.

Comment

Thank you for the detailed post on the subject. I saw a few pictures of this tank. The turret looked so compacted. I am in the process of deciding and searching. Is it a durable tank? Similar to my three recent used M4, Tiger I and M26 purchases? And if I see a built one with a decent price, should I get it? Will it give me headache and cost additional $ to run the used one? Or is it better to get a new one and build it? More $ though :-). Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by DavidN View Post
            Thank you for the detailed post on the subject. I saw a few pictures of this tank. The turret looked so compacted. I am in the process of deciding and searching. Is it a durable tank? Similar to my three recent used M4, Tiger I and M26 purchases? And if I see a built one with a decent price, should I get it? Will it give me headache and cost additional $ to run the used one? Or is it better to get a new one and build it? More $ though :-). Thanks!
            It is a reasonably durable tank. Not really comparable to what you have now. It is not as durable as the Tamiya Abrams or Type 10. The tracks are excellent but the suspension arms are a little weak in my opinion.

Don’t buy a used one. Buy a NIB and build it so you know it is done correctly. Definitely add the metal gear upgrades from DKLM. The Leopard 2 is a “buy once cry once tank”. Spending the money up front to ensure it is built correctly will be less expensive both in time and money down the road.

Comment

Ok! Thank you again! I went to DKLM website. I saw those metal gears and where they were supposedly set in. Very nice compared to how the stock gears looked.

Comment

Working...
              X