X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IR Compatibility

Is Toro's IR firing-system compatible with Heng Long's??

sorry it isn't

Comment

Originally posted by Play4Pop View Post
      Is Toro's IR firing-system compatible with Heng Long's??
      It can be made to be with the addition of an aftermarket IR board that “plugs” into the Toro/Taigen receiver. That said this is “hit or miss” (no pun intended) function wise and has spotty performance.

It is cheaper and far easier to simply replace the Toro board with something else like a HL 6.1 system.

Comment

RC tank parts and accessories I make
        www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

My thought, leave the Torro's IR system the way it is and play with other Torro tanks. Play your HL with your other HL tanks. It is just more work for you to order, open up the tank, work on it and check on it. (My two cents)

Comment

Originally posted by DavidN View Post
            My thought, leave the Torro's IR system the way it is and play with other Torro tanks. Play your HL with your other HL tanks. It is just more work for you to order, open up the tank, work on it and check on it. (My two cents)
            Actually its about 15 minutes of work to swap out the Toro with a HL system. Buy the HL system from Toucan US and it will arrive in less than a week. Its not a lot of work and well worth the minor effort to place an online order in the end.

Comment

From what I've heard here the Torro/Taigen tanks will operate smoother with say a HL 6.0s MFU (HL T90 has this 1 & I like it).

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

Actually its about 15 minutes of work to swap out the Toro with a HL system. Buy the HL system from Toucan US and it will arrive in less than a week. Its not a lot of work and well worth the minor effort to place an online order in the end.
                When you have time, can you kindly post the step by step of doing that. I have a broken down Torro tank. I might as well put a HL board in it.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidN View Post

When you have time, can you kindly post the step by step of doing that. I have a broken down Torro tank. I might as well put a HL board in it.
                  I will NOT have time to do that at least not anytime soon. It would entail me pulling apart finished working tanks just to show and tell. I will be adding a JS-2 later this year (sooner if Motion RC sends me the one for review) and when I do the build out on it I will post something.

It’s not hard, most of us that have been in this hobby for a while had to learn by doing and did not have someone to hold our hands. When it comes to tanks there is a lot to be said in doing and trying for yourself because this IS NOT a mainstream hugely supported hobby and having knowledge gained through trial and error goes a long way to enjoying the hobby.

It sounds like you are way overthinking the process and making it difficult for yourself. Take a step back and allow yourself to think in the simplest terms. With tanks simple is often best.

Comment

David your going to have to look for youtube videos of people working on tanks and watch them and learn how alot of this stuff is done. The converison is pretty easy if you prepare properly.
                    Buy a 6.0 or 6.1 system with a henglong radio off ebay. Gooogle for a plug and wiring diagram of where things plug in to the HL MFU. Open the tank up and take some pictures of where everything is just incase you have to refer back to where things went.
                    Then follow the picture of where to plug things into the HL MFU and start plugging things in. Test out. If one track goes the wrong way reverse the motor wires.

If you get stuck doing the conversion at that point, people can help you but you need to get the screw driver and pliers out and get going yourself or you wont learn.
                    RC tank parts and accessories I make
                    www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

Thank you both for your advice. I am quite new with RC tank (3 months now). So for something that might seems simple to one person might not be for another person :-) I don't know much in electrical components. I even struggle a little bit in soldering (not much of a talented person). When I see the inside of a tank, there are so many wires running everywhere. I am familiar a bit more with the HL at this time (after I have burned 3 of the 6.0S main boards). But for the Torro, not yet. So when Rubicon mentioned that it would only take about 15 minutes to swap from the Torro to HL, I want to learn how. It is a little too expensive to mess up. I have goofed up a lot. But liked you stated.... that is one of the many ways in learning.

Comment

First thing, put a color coding dab of paint on every plug and its associated socket / connection so you can put it all back together in case you change your mind.

Second thing, a lot of people who are into IR tank battles use the Tamiya protocol. Heng Long only partly conforms to it. Before you adopt a HL mfu only to realize later that what you really wanted was a Clark, Elmod or IBU mfu, do some research and talk with who you intend to play with.

Have fun with it all, it is a great hobby

Comment

Thank you! I will take it slow along with continuation on the research.

Comment

Working...
                          X