X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oldwolf View Post

Speaking of IR receiver placement, I see it is placed LED direct forward and sensors facing off at diagonals. I have noticed that the receiver is a bit more sensitive to shots coming straight in to a sensor rather than straight into an LED. Have others noticed this?
    The LegoDEI receivers with the 360 sunshade that Bob is using are actually very easy to hit regardless of the position/direction of the IR receiver bulbs when compared to a Tamiya IR receiver. With the 360 shade they are nearly three times more sensitive then a Tamiya IR receiver. So Bobs tank is still far more vulnerable then if he was using a Tamiya IR receiver with a “turned mirror” or “turned mount”.

When and if Bob swaps the sunshade for the “45 degree hit” shade then the true effect of the “armor simulation” will be present. This will reduce frontal hit to very close range or side hit only. A similar effect to a Tamiya IR receiver modified for an IFA tank (non turret tank). With the Tamiya IR receiver the front half is blocked off causing it to NOT receiver frontal hits, or the internal mirror is turned to a different 45 degree setting which reduces frontal hits.

The above is usually only allowed (at club events) for IFA tanks to give them equal footing with turreted tanks. Personally I would like to see the change in hit angles for all receivers on “Heavy /Medium” WW2 tanks and on “Modern” tanks to reduce frontal hits and increase the need for side hits. Makes for a more realistic fight and requires a fair amount more maneuvering to score a hit. With Tamiya IR receivers this can be accomplished simply by “turning” the internal mirror and with Lego simply adding the 45 degree shade and turning the receiver to aline the bulbs in an “x” vs a “+” to the front of the tank like Bob has done. But it only works to improve realism If everyone is on the same page, otherwise the advantages are to great.

Comment

After reading Rubicon's x vs +, 45 degree sunshade comments, I contacted LegoDEI. He sells the 45 degree shade separately. I bought some for my Assault Guns to offset the fixed turret disadvantage. It's a simple unscrew replacement. Here's the difference:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1906.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	243.5 KB
ID:	328883

The baffles on the left item are extended out to the edge. I won't replace the shades on turreted tanks, as it might be too much of an advantage. Besides, the turret turns, which sorta eliminates the point.
      Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

I should get one for myself too. I have a few tanks jagds that I want to have them involved in the battle. Hopefully LegoDei will be at LA Battle this weekend and I can get it directly form him.

Comment

Check out "Vandramodel"'s facebookpage. Some familiar photos there.

Comment

You deserve a cover shot you did a great job on it.

Comment

A Christmas surprise: wifey got this for me. 500 pieces! Modeling is on hiatus while I work this puzzle.

Name:	63B2FA64-0742-4208-A41C-B714A0354449.jpeg
Views:	250
Size:	325.0 KB
ID:	333959

Comment

You built it and you took the picture, So it should be quite easy, I hope :-)

Comment

Done!

Name:	02F77DA9-587A-434A-9D5A-10565B459020.jpeg
Views:	229
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	334079

Comment

Awesome! Next up; an SU-152?

Comment

If anyone here also visits the RC Tank Warfare forum, I put my Zik up in their tank of the month poll. It's lagging behind its competitor. If you can bring yourselves to do so, please vote for mine!

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
                        If anyone here also visits the RC Tank Warfare forum, I put my Zik up in their tank of the month poll. It's lagging behind its competitor. If you can bring yourselves to do so, please vote for mine!
                        Vote cast. Yes, I finally got to sign up there despite their overly protective AI which kept insisting only a bot would use the name I wanted. Eventually I got a real person to straighten thongs out.
                        edit: things actually, but maybe the AI did have its underwear in a twist.lol

Comment

Working...
                        X