First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sclui56
    replied
    Originally posted by tank_me View Post
    The Taigen mostly metal (tracks, wheels, sprockets, idler, lower hull, turret) T34/85 is a very reliable tank. I've run mine hard and it's never thrown a track.
    The Taigen/Torro T34 does run great, once I have fixed the issue with the lower hull where one of the side plastic panels cracked. That's probably one of the weaker spot on this sample from Taigen, the plastic side hulls are attached to the metal tub with screws, except the swing arms are mounted only to the plastic side pieces and not supported through the metal tub, so when the road wheels are preloaded, one can easily see the stress separation of the side plastic pieces against the metal tub. And while there is better support behind the adjustable idler in the current revision, that's also an area subject to stress.

I had a hard time sourcing the 2 pieces of plastic sides since they are not separate parts from the manufacturer, the entire lower hull is sold with gearbox. Once I got the replacement plastics, I ended up attaching them to the metal tub using epoxy and original screws, took away the flexing issue immediately.

Leave a comment:

• tank_me
    replied
    Originally posted by Evan D View Post
    I think we can all agree the OP want's a zero problem, zero maintenance item. I don't know of any brand tank that meets that 100%.
    Me either. If you run these tanks, they will require tinkering. Most of my tanks are HEAVILY modified and run out doors in the dirt so I expect things to get loose and need to be fixed.

Leave a comment:

• Evan D
    replied
    I think we can all agree the OP want's a zero problem, zero maintenance item. I don't know of any brand tank that meets that 100%.

Leave a comment:

• 761st
    replied
    I have had the HL Sherman and Tiger 1 with metal upgrade for two years with little to no problems. Both have had idler wheel work and continue to battle on. Frankly that Sherman 105 is a beast.

My Taigen 76(W) has stretched track but holds it together. The Taigen KT is a monster and at this time, no issues. My next will the HL M26. I have the HL Panzer IV project and a Taigen 76(W) BB turrent and upper hull but lack the lower. Thinking of parting with the Taigen 76 project to finance the M26.

End of day, my HL experience has been great. Even the Taigen has problems now and again. Like a fellow tanker told me once. "These tanks mimic the maintenance needs of the actual armor in the field." Click image for larger version  Name:	67820029224--00737AD1-A886-4B9C-9D3B-030688FAE0DC.jpg Views:	0 Size:	252.6 KB ID:	349130

Leave a comment:

• tank_me
    replied
    The Taigen mostly metal (tracks, wheels, sprockets, idler, lower hull, turret) T34/85 is a very reliable tank. I've run mine hard and it's never thrown a track.

Leave a comment:

• DavidN
    replied
    Originally posted by robert1488 View Post
    ok. i think i have enough. i need to find some other hobby to keep me amused. thanks for getting back to me. i'm over 50 years old and i dont even break down from a walk down my driveway.
    I have 40 HL and 10 Toro/Taigen tanks. I am happy with each tank the way I received them. My expectation is not high. They worked fine when I bought them too. And then I decided to open them up and changed so many things inside that took too much of my free times, lol.

I used to build static 1/35, 1/25 and 1/15, 1/16 and 1/6 tanks. Then it did not seem fun if they were just sitting there. I moved my interest up to RC tanks. Then again it did not seem fun if they were not able to shoot and knock out each other. So I converted many of my tanks into IR battle tanks. Now I am feeling better and amused :-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_E0320A.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	349087

Leave a comment:

• SoCalBobS
    replied
    Wow, you must have the worst luck. Never had any of my 19 HL tanks break down immediately out of the box. Sorry for your bad experience.

Leave a comment:

• robert1488
    replied
    ok. i think i have enough. i need to find some other hobby to keep me amused. thanks for getting back to me. i'm over 50 years old and i dont even break down from a walk down my driveway.

Leave a comment:

• Rubicon99
    replied
    it is unrealistic to have to fix something that comes off the shelf a few times a month for a 5-10 minute run, and by run i mean go forward, turn, show off the 360 turret, fire the gun, and then turn it off.
    i still might be into trying out a Torro pro edition, but as of yet no one has any info on one. the Torro has the easy access to the inside, and that i can deal with if i had to, but from day one?
    i really want to buy one, someone tell me their honest opinion on a Torro tank-pro edition. can it handle a test run every few weeks? it is a tank.....
    From years of experience I can tell you with certainty you will need to work on a Torro tank far more then the current HL tanks. With Torro you are buying more metal but that does not equal a more reliable tank.

Leave a comment:

• robert1488
    replied
    it is unrealistic to have to fix something that comes off the shelf a few times a month for a 5-10 minute run, and by run i mean go forward, turn, show off the 360 turret, fire the gun, and then turn it off.
    i still might be into trying out a Torro pro edition, but as of yet no one has any info on one. the Torro has the easy access to the inside, and that i can deal with if i had to, but from day one?
    i really want to buy one, someone tell me their honest opinion on a Torro tank-pro edition. can it handle a test run every few weeks? it is a tank.....

Leave a comment:

• Rubicon99
    replied
    i bought two HL tanks a week apart and the both got sent back. i barely used them, only lightly in the driveway and problems galore.
    Then your expectations are way to high. No tank is perfect and being unwilling to learn to trouble shoot or fix minor issues will only lead you to being frustrated.

HL tanks are by far the easiest tanks to work on and replace parts. If you can turn a screwdriver and 3mm Allen wrench, unplug some wires, then you can fix anything that goes wrong. But you have to be willing to do so. Sounds like you are not and that’s ok. But its a lot more time and effort to send a tank back once you see just how easy HL tanks are to work on.

Leave a comment:

• robert1488
    replied
    i bought two HL tanks a week apart and the both got sent back. i barely used them, only lightly in the driveway and problems galore.

Leave a comment:

• Rubicon99
    replied
    at least you have sound. mine went out on the third day i owned it. HL sux.
    You’re the very rare exception. The vast majority of HL owners have no such issue. HL 6.0 and above have an excellent track record of working well.

Leave a comment:

• robert1488
    replied
    at least you have sound. mine went out on the third day i owned it. HL sux.

Leave a comment:

• sclui56
    replied
    Ozzy, good luck. I do like the use of OpenTX, especially with the desktop companion. I find that very useful in replicating and testing different models. I tend to stick with the same Rx's so once I got the channel order and stick modes set and successfully programmed the initial model to how I wanted, it is quite simple to replicate and modify, but you would need to deal with evolving F/W. In its current version, the touch screen is non-functional, but there is a branch of OTx (Edge) that has made that a reality.

Some people here https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Owner-s-Thread reported gimbal drift under extreme weather, but they are also dealing with flights, drifts are common in our surface vehicles so not a concern IMHO. I also see that RadioMaster has increased the price, like everything else. The only negative I find in the TX16s is its scroll wheel, I experienced some slippage as well as over-shooting at times.

Leave a comment:

• Ozzybulldog
    replied
    Thanks sclui56. I'm currently using Turnigy TGY-i6. It works perfectly but only has 6 channels. To get full functionality out of the Elmod Fusion Pro you need 8 channels.
    I'll save for a TX16s.
    Thanks for all the good advice.

Leave a comment:

• sclui56
    replied
    Originally posted by Ozzybulldog View Post
    I received my Turnigy 9X. Unfortunately, unknown to my the radio as standard is useless for tanks. I connected it up and my tank went nuts. The firmware in the 9X apparently needs flashing to er9X. I'm not sure whether hardware mods are required.
    It's a thumbs down for Turnigy 9X from me.

I've heard good things about the Radiomaster TX16. Any thoughts or other recommendations that don't require flashing or hardware mods?

Thanks all.
    I use a TX16s and recently switched to a Frsky X20s, totally unnecessary but I have it so I gave it a spin. If you don't want to hassle much with FW and flashing, might want to try a Flysky FS- i6S

Leave a comment:

• Ozzybulldog
    replied
    I received my Turnigy 9X. Unfortunately, unknown to my the radio as standard is useless for tanks. I connected it up and my tank went nuts. The firmware in the 9X apparently needs flashing to er9X. I'm not sure whether hardware mods are required.
    It's a thumbs down for Turnigy 9X from me.

I've heard good things about the Radiomaster TX16. Any thoughts or other recommendations that don't require flashing or hardware mods?

Thanks all.

Leave a comment:

• Ozzybulldog
    replied
    I have now installed the Elmod Fusion Pro. What can I say, simply outstanding. Great, easy to follow instructions. All the tank movements are far superior to HL and the sound, wow. I am using the Tiger Ver 1 sound with the Bovington gun elevation wav and the user sounds from the Bovington.
    I'm so pleased I bit the bullet and paid the $$ for the Elmod. Thanks Mark from Ozarmour.

Leave a comment:

• Ozzybulldog
    replied
    Will do. I think programing the tx may be the most challenging.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X