You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paint match to factory HL Abrams and Leopard paint.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint match to factory HL Abrams and Leopard paint.

Hey, all. My Abrams and Leopard Pros should be here on Monday. I’d like to at least touch up where the detailed parts are coming off the sprues. Also, the metal sprockets and road wheel will need paint. My local hobby shop doesn’t have a good paint selection. I’m hoping someone has experience with a decent paint matchof the desert tan/coyote tan colors of the Abrams and the greens on the Leopard as I’m going to have to order pain sight unseen, it seems.

Any thoughts? Happy Thanksgiving!

Originally posted by HotDiggity View Post
    Hey, all. My Abrams and Leopard Pros should be here on Monday. I’d like to at least touch up where the detailed parts are coming off the sprues. Also, the metal sprockets and road wheel will need paint. My local hobby shop doesn’t have a good paint selection. I’m hoping someone has experience with a decent paint matchof the desert tan/coyote tan colors of the Abrams and the greens on the Leopard as I’m going to have to order pain sight unseen, it seems.

Any thoughts? Happy Thanksgiving!
    Normally I could have told you what would have been a very close color match but unfortunately ModelMaster paints have been discontinued after being sold to Krylon Paints.

Tamiya paints although excellent have less color options but nothing close. You will have to mix paint colors to make a match.

Unfortunately the lack of paint choices comes down to the HUGE decline in those building plastic models over the last 20 years.

Comment

If your local shop doesn't have Tamiya paint, you can go to Motionrc.com to get some. I don't know about the color on the Abram, but the green for the Leopard, I use the Tamiya NATO green. Generally, for the road wheels and sprockets, my approach is that I just paint the color that seem closed to the hull color. If it is lighter, I do a black/dark spray wash over them. If it is darker, I do a light dirt spray wash over them. Those areas are near the ground with constant dirt accumulationh, so their color don't need to match the color of the hull.

At Motion RC we carry the largest selection of electric and gas powered radio control (RC) planes, boats, buggies, cars, helicopters, tanks, trucks, and much more. We also offer a huge selection of lipo batteries, chargers, ESCs, gas engines, motors, radios, and servos. Shop our lowest prices with free shipping.

Comment

Both Rubicon & David are correct. The HL Abrams is actually painted too dark, so you will need to mix if you were to do it now. I actually tried some MM Modern Desert Sand FS 33722 on mine (for the metal wheels) and it came out too light, though it is much closer to the "correct" shade. Don't know much about the HL Leo, but for the Taigen/Torro, the Tamiya NATO mixes are quite close, NATO green, NATO Black, and NATO Brown.

BTW, I ended up doing something similar to David on the Abrams metal wheels after using the MM FS 33722, you won't notice it since most of us don't keep these in freshly painted condition.

Comment

I repainted both of my Leopards :-) I still have not done anything to the road wheels of my Abrams. Now that you mention, I will have to work on it :-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8392.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	330937Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8395.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	330938

Comment

I still have to do Leo #2, it's in the same Taigen color scheme, too bad they didn't offer the alternative like Torro does. Actually, I might just do Desert sand on #2, it's my toy after all.

Comment

Working...
            X