X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something strange

While running the Abrams, suddenly it threw the track, ho hum, put it back on you say. Ah but there's a catch, I noticed the sprocket was loose, just tighten it up you yell. Tried to tighten it and the moment I touched it,out it fell. The screw has broke in half. In three letters, WTF??? Click image for larger version

Name:	20211127_141329.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	331026

In the neighborhood
    RC tank parts and accessories I make
    www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

Who ya gonna call

Comment

Tank busters!

sorry couldn’t help it with the 3d sequel out right now.

I have never broke one of them off but your going to have to drill it out and use and easy out to remove the broken screw. That really really sucks man. Sorry to see that, but it is NOT typical of Henglong,

Comment

Originally posted by Sappo View Post
          While running the Abrams, suddenly it threw the track, ho hum, put it back on you say. Ah but there's a catch, I noticed the sprocket was loose, just tighten it up you yell. Tried to tighten it and the moment I touched it,out it fell. The screw has broke in half. In three letters, WTF??? Click image for larger version

Name:	20211127_141329.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	331026
          Wow I can say I have never seen that happen before. Easiest thing to do is just replace the axle shaft. That’s about a 30 min job.

Comment

Yeah, changing the shaft was my thought as well

Comment

Finding an easy-out for a screw that small will be annoying. I bet the screw was over torqued when the model was assembled.

Comment

Actually I've changed the running gear to all metal on this one and if anything I have a tendency not to tighten things past what I can do with two fingers on the tool, but I rely on a dab of contact adhesive to lock things in place. When I first stripped it down I didn't notice anything overly tight

Comment

Actually I've changed the running gear to all metal on this one and if anything I have a tendency not to tighten things past what I can do with two fingers on the tool, but I rely on a dab of contact adhesive to lock things in place. When I first stripped it down I didn't notice anything overly tight
                  With tanks you want snug not tight.

Comment

I was thinking the factory probably uses powered drivers, with adjustable torque settings, to speed assembly. Someone sets the torque on the driver wrong and nearly twists the screw in half. They realize their error, back it out and re-seat it at correct torque. But the screw is now close to failing, though to normal observation it looks fine. After you get it, it fails under use.

Comment

Yeah could be right there

Comment

I have extracted screws that small. Its not actually all that small compared to what I am used to working with. I deal with tiny brass screws for model trains often and they are friggin tiny. Try blowing the head off one of them in the valve gear of a 1k model.... not fun.

Any way, a square shank easy out from Chraftsman could extract that screw after being drilled out.

But if you are not skilled at that process, just order a new set of tranys. It will be less headache for you.

Or find a machinest friend to help you.

Comment

That's what I had to do with a tamiya tranny in the late 80s,

Comment

Working...
                          X