Callie Graphics

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tamiya 1/16 Centurion build and field test.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
    Thanks for the great post-mortems, guys.
    Would have loved to have you there Bob. But totally understand why you could not.

Comment

Yeap, my Tiger I was cornered in by Aime's KV-1 at my front right and your T34 on my other side. The Tiger took 9 hits before the barrel tilted down :-)

Comment

Can you provide some the Tamiya paint colors or code #s for this tank? Or the Tamiya picture of those recommended colors for the tank? I would like make some decisions and purchase the colors in advance before my tank arrives :-)

Comment

Originally posted by DavidN View Post
          Can you provide some the Tamiya paint colors or code #s for this tank? Or the Tamiya picture of those recommended colors for the tank? I would like make some decisions and purchase the colors in advance before my tank arrives :-)
          The primary color is TS-2 Dark Green. Keep in mind there were only a handful with US markings and only used for a short time during the Korean War. Tamiyas paint and decal theme is of this handful.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A8FCC2E1-94FE-4059-9703-5D6CAC17B1F4.jpeg
Views:	517
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	337044

Comment

Forgot to post this last photo. Taken at the Feb 2022 LA Tank Clubs battle day. Click image for larger version

Name:	B0D28840-BF03-43CA-BF67-79994ECD7258.jpeg
Views:	488
Size:	302.0 KB
ID:	337588

Comment

Rubicon99, where do you suggest sourcing the 5x8x2.5 sealed bearings from? This will be my first Tamiya non-corded remote tank, can't wait.

Comment

eBay or Semijoe’s rc semi truck shop.
                RC tank parts and accessories I make
                www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

Hi Rich, totally forgot about Semijoe. Thanks!

Comment

Can I confirm if the NIB Centurion will come with plastic or metal bearings? I just want to be prepared. Thank you!

Comment

Can I confirm if the NIB Centurion will come with plastic or metal bearings? I just want to be prepared. Thank you!
                      It comes with brass bushing that can be replaced with bearings.

The brass bushing are good and work well enough, but adding bearings just makes everything run more smoothly.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

It comes with brass bushing that can be replaced with bearings.

The brass bushing are good and work well enough, but adding bearings just makes everything run more smoothly.
                        Can you let me know which metal bearings bag to order from AAF? They don't disclose how many bearings in each of their bags? Or does it have the right amounts for the type of tank they are intended.
                        I can go to the manual of the tank to see how many bearings are included. I can't get the bag for the Centurion since it is new so no parts are available yet.
                        Are all bearings the same sizes?
                        Is it better to get them from Ebay? I would like to get from AAF (if the price is reasonable) and ask them to put the bag inside the tank box for me before they ship the tank out.
                        You mentioned before that we need 28. So I just want to get enough or more for future use. I don't want to get less :-)

Comment

Can you let me know which metal bearings bag to order from AAF? They don't disclose how many bearings in each of their bags? Or does it have the right amounts for the type of tank they are intended.
                          I can go to the manual of the tank to see how many bearings are included. I can't get the bag for the Centurion since it is new so no parts are available yet.
                          Are all bearings the same sizes?
                          Is it better to get them from Ebay? I would like to get from AAF (if the price is reasonable) and ask them to put the bag inside the tank box for me before they ship the tank out.
                          You mentioned before that we need 28. So I just want to get enough or more for future use. I don't want to get less :-)
                          I buy mine from SemiJoes on EBay. Buy the set for the Tamiya Pershing or M51/M4 and you will have plenty.

Comment

UPDATE.

Installed the RichJohnson “L7 105mm” main gun. This is a machines aluminum barrel and much better looking then my “stop gap” hand build L7 barrel. Still needs to be painted and the IR bulb installed.

Here are a few photos. I also posted a short video of the barrel undergoing a basic function test on my Instagram @ Fsttanks
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	9090CF25-A8C0-4AF2-8C1E-11D57C17D021.jpeg
Views:	348
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	345279Click image for larger version

Name:	1261EDAC-C7C6-4812-858D-EB1DABFA8793.jpeg
Views:	355
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	345278

Comment

I am late to the party. Great build documentary! Amazing end results!

Comment

Paint, weathering and IR bulb added to new barrel. Its ready to hit the field. Click image for larger version  Name:	68FA9B02-E043-4213-91E3-8A75A809CB19.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	125.5 KB ID:	345385

Comment

Looking forward to seeing it in the field.

Comment

So, ir bulb replaces muzzle flash? Is there any other place for the ir bulb? A place that still provides 9 mm set back or greater and doesn't look hideous? I like muzzle flashes and want to keep that.

Comment

Originally posted by oldwolf View Post
                                      So, ir bulb replaces muzzle flash? Is there any other place for the ir bulb? A place that still provides 9 mm set back or greater and doesn't look hideous? I like muzzle flashes and want to keep that.
                                      The easy alternative option would be to use the machine gun port. Other then that the Tamiya “clamp on” barrel IR holder, which I personally think is ugly and tends to “shot gun blast” the IR beam rather wildly.

Some people have added their own wholes in the mantle for the IR because then wanted to retain both the main gun and machine gun flash.

Comment

Originally posted by 761st View Post
                                        Looking forward to seeing it in the field.
                                        I have several short videos and many photos of this Centurion in the field and running obstacles. They can be found on my Instagram @ fsttanks

Comment

What we need, is a hollow, cylindrical piece of fiber optics with a metal lining that the ir bulb could fit in. All small enough to fit in the barrel. Then the flash unit could be placed behind the ir bulb and still conduct the flash to the muzzle.

Comment

Working...
                                          X